Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Higher score: good BR/Lower score: poor BR

holylsatholylsat Alum Member
in General 38 karma

Hey all!

I've started PTesting for about a month and a half now after going through the core curriculum. My average PT score is a 169 with lows at 166-167 and highs at 170-173.

After each test, I spend about 2h for BR and I noticed a pattern. Usually, when I score above 169, I am able to BR well and gain about 3-4 LSAT points after BR. However, when I score in my lower range I only am able to get an extra point during BR. I am mostly able to get 0 to -2 in LG so I'd say the BR is more about RC and LR.

I don't really know what to make of this... has anyone experienced the same thing? How were you able to increase your BR score and spot your mistakes?

Thanks so much!!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

What this seems like to me, is that you have harder LR and RC sections. It's hard to tell form what was given here but it seems like maybe on your low end the LG were the "easy" section of that test and the RC/LR more difficult.

Can you check your analytics and see if this plays out? Are the LR sections in your low end ranked "hard" and "hardest"? Are the games ranked "easy" and "easiest"?

If so you are fairly similar to me. Really good at the games and still have some "weak" (take with a grain of salt, 165+ is amazing) areas in LR and RC.

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

I also experience this with different numerical fluctuations. I attribute the lower BR with the lower score to over-confidence errors. I got questions wrong that I didn't mark for BR. Could that be it?

• holylsatholylsat Alum Member
    38 karma

Thank you both for your comments!

@RafaelBernard I, too, get questions wrong that I didn't mark for BR. So I started consistently blind reviewing all questions I think are most likely to be tough (roughly 14 to 20 in LR sections and inference questions in the RC passages which are always a struggle for me). But still, it doesn't change.

@LSATcantwin I checked out the stats in more detail. There is no pattern. In the test when there is a hard section of LR and an easy one, I make approximately the same number of mistakes in both during my low PTs. In RC, it's the same: when the test is good, I make fewer mistakes and when I score lower I make more regardless of the difficulty. Maybe my mindset during the PT accounts for such differences, but I'm not convinced.
    I think the issue lies in RC and LR for sure because I can BR the LG section easily and get the right answers no matter the difficulty (except perhaps on those really hard games about lizards and stuff... ugh..)
    I will keep checking the analytics in more detail in the future to see if a pattern arises, thanks for pointing that out!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@holylsat said:
    Hey all!

I've started PTesting for about a month and a half now after going through the core curriculum. My average PT score is a 169 with lows at 166-167 and highs at 170-173.

After each test, I spend about 2h for BR and I noticed a pattern. Usually, when I score above 169, I am able to BR well and gain about 3-4 LSAT points after BR. However, when I score in my lower range I only am able to get an extra point during BR. I am mostly able to get 0 to -2 in LG so I'd say the BR is more about RC and LR.

I don't really know what to make of this... has anyone experienced the same thing? How were you able to increase your BR score and spot your mistakes?

Thanks so much!!

I just think it's a function of harder questions/questions we are weaker on. It only makes sense that if we got them wrong on the test that chances are they'll be harder on BR too.

I think the best way to address this issue is to reflect on the questions that you miss again during BR and figure out why you are having an issue with it. Spend all the time you need before looking at the answers/explanations and be sure to drill your weaknesses after each PT.

• holylsatholylsat Alum Member
    38 karma

@"Alex Divine" Good point! I will keep on working hard during BR and after during review. Thank you!