PTC.S2.Q22 - One can be at home...

furfur_123furfur_123 Core Member
edited August 2023 in Logical Reasoning 7 karma

I am confused by this question. I selected A as the answer when drilling and during blind review. During blind review I was hesitant and wanted to select C (which is the correct answer). Clearly, I do not understand this question fully and I can sort of make sense of it on my own but would love insight and a clear explanation.

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of question”

Comments

• JesseWeNeedToCookJesseWeNeedToCook Alum Member
    edited August 2023 137 karma

Gosh using home and house so many times in a passage is exhausting. The trick to eliminating A and picking C is in recongizing the fact that sentence 1 is logically the opposite of what the conclusion is. Using the opposite rather than contrapositive is an common improper argument form in which we should recognize opposite statements have no logical relation.

House = U

Home = M

We can break the sentences into three statments

First sentence (the one asked about in the question): Being In M does not imply U
    First sentence lawgic: M -> U or /U but not both

Second sentence: Being in U doesn not imply M
    Second sentence Lawgic: U-> M or /M but not both

Conclusion Breaking down the translation in steps:
    lawgic step 1: / (U->M). or alternatively "English"step 1. M is not required to be in U.

"English" step 2. Being in U does not imply M

lawgic step 2: U-> M or /M but not both

The conclusion is restating sentence 2.

Now going through answer choices

A) incorrect: The conclusion is saying If I'm in my house (U) I may or may not be at home (M). The first sentence does not affect this argument either way because It is describing the situation as: I'm at home(M) I may or may not be in my house (U).

Notice how the terms flip from U being at the beginning to M being at the beginning. This is an improper argument form of someone just saying the opposite statement and not a true contrapositive.

C) correct for the exact reasons above, the arguments have no bearing on another. I can be at home and in my house or not in my house. However I can also be in my house and in my home or not in my home

D (adding this in as well, as it was another common incorrect answer choice)) Nope there is no ambiguitity in the terminology used. They even go so far as to give examples of a house versus a home.