Why does pressing space pause your current video and play the second video - at the same time?

GalateaGalatea Core Member
in General 92 karma

When reviewing sections that have more than one video per page (such as here: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-33-section-4-game-1/), if you press space it will pause the video on top and then play the video on the bottom at the same time... This is one of the most annoying things I have ever come across and drives me absolutely insane.

Is there a way to press space and have it simply pause/unpause the video YOU ARE WATCHING, rather than BOTH videos (even when you never interacted with the second video)?

Struggling to keep the language PG b/c this is pissing me off so bad.

Comments

• Paula --Student Service--Paula --Student Service-- Member Administrator Student Services
    edited August 2023 848 karma

Hey @"Jacob Blumberg", so sorry about that!

If there are 2-3 videos on a page like the Explanation Video, All Sub-Game Boards video, or a Commentary video, hitting the space bar might make all of them start playing at the same time. That can be a bit overwhelming!

I'll make sure to pass your feedback along to the team so they're aware of the issue.

To avoid this, I recommend using your mouse or touchpad/trackpad to click on the play button of the videos individually. That way, you can enjoy them one by one without any trouble.

If you're still experiencing this issue, or if it's happening with just one video on the page, let me know which ones are giving you trouble so I can look into it further.

Again, I'm really sorry for the trouble. If there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know!

• GalateaGalatea Core Member
    edited August 2023 92 karma

@"Paula --Student Service--" said:
    Hey @"Jacob Blumberg", so sorry about that!

If there are 2-3 videos on a page like the Explanation Video, All Sub-Game Boards video, or a Commentary video, hitting the space bar might make all of them start playing at the same time. That can be a bit overwhelming!

I'll make sure to pass your feedback along to the team so they're aware of the issue.

To avoid this, I recommend using your mouse or touchpad/trackpad to click on the play button of the videos individually. That way, you can enjoy them one by one without any trouble.

If you're still experiencing this issue, or if it's happening with just one video on the page, let me know which ones are giving you trouble so I can look into it further.

Again, I'm really sorry for the trouble. If there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know!

Thanks for the response.

Easier said than done... I know how to avoid it, the problem is that I have spent well over a decade using space to pause/unpause videos (and I suspect many other users have, too). It's entirely subconscious at this point which makes it very difficult to change.

Additionally, when there is only one video per page then everything works out fine and I use space bar as I always do. But when there is more than one video it causes problems. No one scrolls down on every page to check if there is more than one video to see if they should(n't) use space bar. By allowing space bar to work for pages w/ only 1 video, you are training people to continue to use space bar to subconsciously (un)pause.

If you aren't going to simply fix the issue then spacebar should be disabled altogether as a function to pause/unpause. That way everyone knows: gotta use the mouse. Instead of this logic game to figure out if you can use space and then having the use of the space bar become a reinforced behavior b/c it does actually work some of the time. Except when it doesn't. Terrible middle-of-the-road dilemma.

• Paula --Student Service--Paula --Student Service-- Member Administrator Student Services
    848 karma

Hey @"Jacob Blumberg", thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We totally get how frustrating it can be when the space bar acts all wonky with multiple videos on a page. We're really sorry for any trouble this has caused.

Your feedback means a lot to us, and your suggestion is super valuable. I'll definitely pass it along to our production team for some serious consideration.

If you have any other feedback or ideas, don't hesitate to share. We're all ears!

• GalateaGalatea Core Member
    92 karma

@"Paula --Student Service--" said:
    Hey @"Jacob Blumberg", thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We totally get how frustrating it can be when the space bar acts all wonky with multiple videos on a page. We're really sorry for any trouble this has caused.

Your feedback means a lot to us, and your suggestion is super valuable. I'll definitely pass it along to our production team for some serious consideration.

If you have any other feedback or ideas, don't hesitate to share. We're all ears!

Thank you for the reply. I think why it is so frustrating is that you have to pause/unpause videos frequently to take notes and follow along step-by-step, etc. so when you try to pause to quickly write something down and another video starts playing you:
    1) get confused
    2) have to figure out it's another video on the page that's playing
    3) press space again to reverse the action
    4) then click on the video to actually pause w/o any other problems
    5) the click to pause the video cannot be on the side of the video; otherwise it does nothing. You MUST click near the center of the video to pause.
    6) Try to remember where you were and not loose your train of thought.
    7) Repeat this 7 million times a day when doing pages w/ multiple videos b/c the behavior is subconscious and therefore hard to retrain.

There are a lot of steps involved that can really detract from the learning process due to this simple malfunction.

(My point in this reply is somewhat redundant... so another reply is not obligated. I was just trying to further explain WHY it can be so frustrating).