Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Order

I heard a suggestion to read the questions first for reading comprehension, and then read the essay. I was wondering if anybody has tried this and found it effective to help improve?

Comments

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited October 2023 802 karma

If it works for you, you can do it, but I think it's a big waste of time on a test that is already very punishing on timing. You're going to have to reread most of the questions again anyways after your first pass through. Think of your time as an investment, would you rather spend an extra 30 sec/minute on reading the questions twice or take this time and understand the passage better so you can answer the questions quicker?

Again, this is just my view, others might disagree, and if it works for you, then do it! It doesn't do much for me personally which is why I am critical of it.

• Johnny TsunamiJohnny Tsunami Alum Member
    edited October 2023 186 karma

I completely agree with @AlexgLSAT, focus on reading the questions when doing LR but not on RC. What has helped me with RC is really taking the time to understand a passage as opposed to speeding through like I used to with a rough idea of what it's about. By slowing down and understanding the passage, you're less likely to miss key details.

Also another factor to consider: by reading the questions first, it may skew how you view the passage. You want to come in with a neutral mindset and really engage with it. Pretend it's incredibly interesting (some actually can be), ask questions, and convert it into your own words while you read. I hope that will help you as much as it did for me.

• KangtimeKangtime Alum Member
    74 karma

@"Johnny Tsunami" said:
    I completely agree with @AlexgLSAT, focus on reading the questions when doing LR but not on RC. What has helped me with RC is really taking the time to understand a passage as opposed to speeding through like I used to with a rough idea of what it's about. By slowing down and understanding the passage, you're less likely to miss key details.

Also another factor to consider: by reading the questions first, it may skew how you view the passage. You want to come in with a neutral mindset and really engage with it. Pretend it's incredibly interesting (some actually can be), ask questions, and convert it into your own words while you read. I hope that will help you as much as it did for me.

Great point by Johnny that I completely agree with! Even during BR, I'll look through a passage again and realize that I interpreted the intention or tone of the passage wrong, leading me to get some answers incorrect. We tend to be biased or under time pressure, read the passage in the wrong voice. I think reading the questions first might have the potential to exacerbate this problem. I think it's an important attitude to go into the passage with a neutral mindset.