Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

⚖ Official October 2023 LSAT Discussion Thread ⚖

Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited October 2023 in October 2023 LSAT 1433 karma

Hey 7Sagers,

Here's the official October 2023 LSAT Discussion Thread.

REMINDER: Under your Candidate Agreement, you may not discuss the details of any specific LSAT questions at any time. For the October 2023 LSAT, general discussion of what sections you had, or how difficult you found a given section, or speculation about which sections were scored or unscored, is prohibited until after 9pm ET, Tuesday, October 17th.

Posts that violate these rules will be taken down and may result in disciplinary action from LSAC. Let’s work together to ensure the test is fair to everyone, and not share information before everyone has taken the test.

Some examples of typical comments:

The following comments are okay 🙆‍♀️
- the section on Cambodian woodworking really had me second guessing everything.
- a few of the games had me confused but think I was okay.
- overall fair test, struggled on a couple of RC passages (damn you polymorphic molecules) but think I was okay hoping for a -2 or -3

The following comments are over the line 🙅‍♂️
- the passage on Cambodian woodworking didn’t count.
- I had Cambodian woodworking, Fireflies, and rice farming in Iowa so Lithuanian Lithograph Libraries was experimental.
- fair test but struggled on a couple RC passages (polymorphic molecules anyone? Thankfully it didn’t count). Don’t want to take again in June
- Anyone know if Polygamist Societies in the 1880s was real or experimental?
- Please tell me that polygon dice game didn’t count

Good luck to everyone taking the October 2023 LSAT!

Please keep all discussions of the October 2023 LSAT here!

Comments

• emilyyylsatemilyyylsat Live Member
    edited October 2023 47 karma

All those who have taken it already: how accurate were the Power Score crystal ball predictions? Taking it for the first time tomorrow!

• BriBriBriBriBriBri Live Member
    9 karma

Would also love to know if people appreciated the Powerscore Crystal Ball predictions! Good luck to all of the October testers!!

• TheComeback20TheComeback20 Alum Member
    edited October 2023 31 karma

The predictions were off. I panicked, so I will be taking it again in January...

• intheseainthesea Alum Member
    edited October 2023 45 karma

the difficulty felt fair, and I do think roughly comparable to the latest PTs (80s-90s).

Sadly for me,I had terrible issues with focus/performance I've never experienced before. I ran out of time on every section, something that hasn't happened to me in 15 PTs, including my diagnostic!!! Currently looking up if it makes sense to cancel a LSAT retake score :'-(

Unlike my first LSAT in August, I didn't get a single RC topic from the "Likely Passage Topics" from the Powerscore Crystal Ball.

• madisonbt98madisonbt98 Core Member
    31 karma

I've been studying for a year and have literally never heard of Powerscore Crystal Ball. I'm taking the exam tomorrow. Is this even worth looking up or should I just spare myself the stress?

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1433 karma

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that general discussion of what sections you had, or how difficult you found a given section, or speculation about which sections were scored or unscored, is prohibited until after 9pm ET, Tuesday, October 17th.

Posts/comments that violate these rules will be taken down or edited. Let’s work together to ensure the test is fair to everyone, and not share information before everyone has taken the test.

• ct4nyasvct4nyasv Core Member
    edited October 2023 31 karma

rc beat my ass

• jennnxxpjennnxxp Core Member
    54 karma

First time LSAT taker. As soon as I started my first section, my proctor started asking me what section I was taking, to remove my necklace (why didn't we do this before?), and asked what items were on my desk (again - why didn't we do this before?). It only wasted about a minute of my time but come on. Every second counts, and I'm slightly annoyed. She didn't pause my time either (I don't know if she had to but ugh). I am taking the LSAT again in November but still feeling incredibly discouraged because I don't think I got the score I'm hoping for (I didn't purchase score-preview). I'm glad I signed up for the November test as I definitely felt my anxiety get to me, and I'll know what to expect this time as the whole lock-down thing is intense (remote tester).

• juliettelee99juliettelee99 Core Member
    66 karma

First time taking the LSAT too. It honestly wasn’t unreasonably hard like I was expecting it to be. The crystal ball said to look out for nuanced language and subtleties so I thought I would be super lost given I haven’t even attempted any of the PTs from the 80s-90s except pt 81 (I studied from pt 1 and went up from there)
    But yeah the difficulty of the test isn’t unreasonable. But I also ran out of time !!! ): one section I was so focused on a question that I didn’t even get to guess on the ones I didn’t mark because I lost focus of time. I’m not sure if it’s bc it was my first test but I was definitely suuuuuper nervous and I think that really got to me. Im retaking in November for sure loll😭

• YayasezzYayasezz Core Member
    54 karma

@genevievepapagna I had the same issues. The proctor kept messaging me during the exam! About 4-5 interruptions, it was so frustrating, because I started having trouble to refocus. This is my second time testing. I did not have this issue with proctorU. He asked to see my ID again after initial check-in/ prescreen. After that he kept messaging me to confirm what I was seeing on the screen. Honestly ruined my mood.

• arfondavies513arfondavies513 Core Member
    10 karma

@inthesea said:
    the difficulty felt fair, and I do think roughly comparable to the latest PTs (80s-90s).

Sadly for me,I had terrible issues with focus/performance I've never experienced before. I ran out of time on every section, something that hasn't happened to me in 15 PTs, including my diagnostic!!! Currently looking up if it makes sense to cancel a LSAT retake score :'-(

Unlike my first LSAT in August, I didn't get a single RC topic from the "Likely Passage Topics" from the Powerscore Crystal Ball.

for me it was how uncomfortable the chair and desk test taking was, i had my body so tense it was hard to focus on the actual test. my score is way better when im lying on my bed totally relaxed.

• sarahislamsarahislam Alum Member
    edited October 2023 111 karma

I have never had a problem atleast finishing LR so I was shocked that on the Oct lsat I basically ran out of time towards the end and quickly guessed on the last 4-5. I am super dissappointed because I have spent 80 pct of my time this month studying for LR, only to be tripped up by timing! It's my own fault I guess. Did anyone else have this issue?

• ammachezammachez Core Member
    11 karma

I had the same issues with the focus and performance. It could have just been me but I did feel the prometric online experience was not great. Setting aside the weird and not so user friendly check in process that only adds tension, the search function would not work as effectively and took time out of my section. RC did not seem reader friendly at all via Prometric and I think that what hindered my focus. The Crystal ball was not close to what we were told might be expected on test day either. I know despite this will we all make an amazing comeback whenever we plan to take it.

• rehamabdrehamabd Core Member
    8 karma

I struggled on LR so bad and then RC I thought was easy but idk my feelings are always off

• B_MaximumB_Maximum Core Member
    192 karma

ammachez, by not "reader friendly," what do you mean? Thanks in advance!

• athenacfryeathenacfrye Core Member
    8 karma

First time LSAT taker - I took the LSAT yesterday remotely, the RC was devastating. They asked to see my hands while I was reading mid-section. This made me alter my position and tilt my computer so they can my hands the whole time. I put my hands on my face and now I have acne lol. They switched proctors and sent a message in the chat saying, "Hi I'm a new proctor if you need help blah blah". My sound on my computer is on, so whenever they sent a message it would ring my computer and pull me from my train of thought. Interruptions were frequent and I did not have a good time. I'm definitely retaking lol.

• rzee0913rzee0913 Alum Member
    64 karma

For future test takers: make sure you have LSAC's LSAT helpline number accessible somewhere if you run into technical difficulties during or at the end of the test. My proctor told me to try ending the test session and restarting it which was TERRIBLE advice because I just got assigned a new proctor who had no idea what was going on. Already submitted a test day complaint but totally echo the general sentiment of Prometric being extremely unreliable.

• cassiecassie Alum Member
    9 karma

@sarahislam said:
    I have never had a problem atleast finishing LR so I was shocked that on the Oct lsat I basically ran out of time towards the end and quickly guessed on the last 4-5. I am super dissappointed because I have spent 80 pct of my time this month studying for LR, only to be tripped up by timing! It's my own fault I guess. Did anyone else have this issue?

I quite literally had this same problem. I have never had an issue with LR timing, but I somehow lost track of time and missed the last 3 questions. I was in disbelief that I actually had run out of time lol

• ninasand2002ninasand2002 Alum Member
    30 karma

i took LG personally

111 karma

@cassie said:

I quite literally had this same problem. I have never had an issue with LR timing, but I somehow lost track of time and missed the last 3 questions. I was in disbelief that I actually had run out of time lol

I am getting increasingly nervous because I took the LSAT in September and then in October. When I took it in Sept I was like, okay I got my anxiety out I know what I need to do to improve, I will do better in October. But then the October test felt so different--the LR kicked my butt! And its never felt that way before. What are you planning to do? I registered for November but I'm not sure if there is any point in retaking now or if I should wait till next year and retake after studying more...

111 karma

The other thing that is a huge mystery to me, based on reading the posts above, if you take the LSAT at home and get several unrequested interruptions from the proctor or proctor software, isn't that a violation of disability accommodations? My colleagues who have ADHD receive extended time on the LSAT, and if they get distracted even once it takes a long time to mentally get back on track. One of my friends had to cancel her test because various proctors interrupted three times (and took up 15 minutes of the clock running). All LSAC did was give her the option to continue the exam (and accept the lost time) or cancel her test (and lose one of her five testing opportunities plus the money she spent). She did the latter which put her behind by three months. It just seems like they are not taking disability accommodations very seriously then unfortunately, if the only option (in order to continue taking the exam) is to accept the time lost, which was the fault of the proctor?

• TerribleAtLSATTerribleAtLSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2023 19 karma

Took my test today. Went LR(25)-RC(27)-LR(26)-LG(23). If the second LR is the scored one then I'm in trouble. RC felt good overall except for the second passage, that one was rough. LG didn't seem to have any particularly hard games, but all four of them were time quicksand and ate up time so much. Hard to tell how I did overall. I don't feel like I imploded but don't feel like I excelled either. I'm predicting I land anywhere between 155 and 160, with a slightly higher chance to get 160 or 162 if the scoring is favorable to me.

• btywoo-1btywoo-1 Free Trial Member
    8 karma

@sarahislam said:

OMG I had the exact same issue, only mine happened during RC. In the final 2 minutes I was asked by my proctor to do a 360 scan of my desk. I was confused and asked why but tried to ignore and finish my last few questions but the proctor kept messaging me. All the ping noise made me completely lose focus and I had to randomly guess the answer for the final few RC questions. Already made an official complaint.

• esraa.kadair1999esraa.kadair1999 Core Member
    22 karma

LG wasn't hard but somehow I did so bad on it??

• MadsToEightMadsToEight Core Member
    6 karma

Are we allowed to use command F to quickly search for key phrases while taking the test?

• TerribleAtLSATTerribleAtLSAT Alum Member
    19 karma

@"esraa.kadair1999" said:

Right?! None of my four games were "hard" like some really hard ones I've drilled on 7Sage. They all were just so damn time-consuming.

• esraa.kadair1999esraa.kadair1999 Core Member
    22 karma

LG wasn't hard but somehow I did so b> @TerribleAtLSAT said:

@"esraa.kadair1999" said:

Right?! None of my four games were "hard" like some really hard ones I've drilled on 7Sage. They all were just so damn time-consuming.

Yes, also is it just me or was the first game so time consuming too? I think I panicked when I didn't see a simple sequencing game

• mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
    503 karma

Did anyone notice the typo in one of the AC on one of the LR sections? (I had 2 LR, one 26 questions, one 25) Not sure if I should report that or not.

• c-tsai29c-tsai29 Core Member
    37 karma

I took the Oct test and I think LG section is not HARD but very time consuming. I don't know if this is correct but I think they are trying to use the rule in different way that provide test takers with a more general information rather than some rules that are similar in the PTs that really help narrow down to the correct answer. Haven't done all PTs yet but I really hope they could release some LG question for test takers to practice and prepare the question like these.

• holyjukeholyjuke Alum Member
    7 karma

I had two LR one 25 questions and one 26 questions. Which one do you guys think is the experimental section?

• jennnxxpjennnxxp Core Member
    54 karma

I had LR, LG, LR, and then RC. I really hope the first LR was experimental because all the questions were extremely difficult and that is my strongest section. Knowing my luck, it was the scored one lol. My second LR section felt much more like the practice tests. All the LGs weren't too bad... each question was just time consuming and more difficult to make inferences on. RC was terrible but that's my weakest section. One of the passages was miserable and of course, had the most amount of questions.

• brandonjune654brandonjune654 Alum Member
    edited October 2023 9 karma

Towards the end of the test, there was this woman who kept on sighing loudly. I started losing my focus, but there were ear muffs to block any sounds. Is this still eligible for a complaint?

My exam was LR-RC-LG-LR... Wonder which one is the experimental.

• joraudinsjoraudins Alum Member
    11 karma

I had two RC with the first being more difficult than the second. I had the same issue with time on LG, partially because I read a rule wrong and had to fix a previous game. Thought the LR was reasonable despite a few hard ones. LG caused me a slight panic cause that is normally my strongest so I don't have a good gauge on how I did overall either - fingers crossed!

• laurengraves2001laurengraves2001 Core Member
    edited October 2023 26 karma

@joraudins said:
    I had two RC with the first being more difficult than the second. I had the same issue with time on LG, partially because I read a rule wrong and had to fix a previous game. Thought the LR was reasonable despite a few hard ones. LG caused me a slight panic cause that is normally my strongest so I don't have a good gauge on how I did overall either - fingers crossed!

I also had two RC and first one was soooo hard

66 karma

@laurengraves2001 @joraudins did you guys have 25 or 26 questions on LR do you remember

26 karma

@juliettelee99 said:
    @laurengraves2001 @joraudins did you guys have 25 or 26 questions on LR do you remember

I cannot quite remember, but I want to say 26.

66 karma

@laurengraves2001 Omg okay I really hope it was lol I just ask cuz I had 2 LR and my shorter LR section (25) was suuuper hard but my 26 question one wasn't too bad. If the 25 Q section is scored I feel like that'd drop my score by like at least 5 points lmao

edited October 2023 26 karma

@juliettelee99 said:
    @laurengraves2001 Omg okay I really hope it was lol I just ask cuz I had 2 LR and my shorter LR section (25) was suuuper hard but my 26 question one wasn't too bad. If the 25 Q section is scored I feel like that'd drop my score by like at least 5 points lmao

I’m pretty sure it was 26 so yay! I’m resisting the urge to ask you about your RC passages because the first set I had was insane

edited October 2023 66 karma

@laurengraves2001 I honestly don't remember anything about my RC passages for some reason except that my last passage was science, comparative and it only had 5 questions. I also remember thinking the questions on that passage wasn't the hardest compared to I think the 3rd passage? LOL I don't know how I don't remember my passage topics but I think it might be because I had RC right after the difficult LR section & I was probably thinking too hard about how I bombed the LR

111 karma

@joraudins said:

I also had 2 RC and the first one was so wierd and hard. Usually RC isnot my weakness in terms of question difficulty ( I do struggle with timing usually ) but I felt like this RC was the hardest one I have had in terms of how wierd/tricky the questions and answers were??

111 karma

@juliettelee99 said:

I think mine had 25 and I only had 1 LR section.

• teske_laurenteske_lauren Core Member
    18 karma

Did anyone else have a horrible proctor experience? When I took my Lsat in June I had no issues, but this time my proctor kept telling me "wait a while." before my test and during my break, then I got a brand new proctor on the second half, I was not sure if I was allowed to start my test so I wasted a whole 5 mins on RC waiting to be told what to do. I called LSAT after and my only option was a test day complaint but I really do not want to take the test again. I just think if the Lsat is going to have strict rules for us the proctor needs to be more informed about their responsibilities.

26 karma

@juliettelee99 said:
    @laurengraves2001 I honestly don't remember anything about my RC passages for some reason except that my last passage was science, comparative and it only had 5 questions. I also remember thinking the questions on that passage wasn't the hardest compared to I think the 3rd passage? LOL I don't know how I don't remember my passage topics but I think it might be because I had RC right after the difficult LR section & I was probably thinking too hard about how I bombed the LR

Ok interesting, I did not have any science comparatives. I had an art comparative and a law comparative. Are we allowed to talk about the topics of the RC's, this is my first LSAT so I am a little unclear on the rules!

• teske_laurenteske_lauren Core Member
    18 karma

Did anyone else have a horrible proctor experience? When I took my Lsat in June I had no issues, but this time my proctor kept telling me "wait a while." before my test and during my break, then I got a brand new proctor on the second half, I was not sure if I was allowed to start my test so I wasted a whole 5 mins on RC waiting to be told what to do. I called LSAT after and my only option was a test day complaint but i really do not want to take the test again. I just think if the Lsat is going to have strict rules for us the proctor needs to be more informed about their responsbilites.

• grant.ashley114grant.ashley114 Alum Member
    54 karma

I had two different logical reasoning sections. The first LR was really hard, and I barely made it through the section in time. I flagged about 6 questions that I didn't have time to return to. My second LR was much easier and I completed the section with about a minute left. Any thoughts on which is the experimental section?

47 karma

Now that we're allowed to discuss the test, I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out which one was the experimental section. I had LR-LG-RC-LR. For me the first LR was the hardest, I believe it had the question about the hands and their function. The second section had the question about benefactors and gratitude. Any guesses on which one was the experimental section? I'm really hoping it was the harder one!

26 karma

@"emily-velasquez" said:
    Now that we're allowed to discuss the test, I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out which one was the experimental section. I had LR-LG-RC-LR. For me the first LR was the hardest, I believe it had the question about the hands and their function. The second section had the question about benefactors and gratitude. Any guesses on which one was the experimental section? I'm really hoping it was the harder one!

I only had one LR and I had the gratitude question

• joraudinsjoraudins Alum Member
    edited October 2023 11 karma

@"emily-velasquez" said:

I remember the benefactors and gratitude question in my LR section

66 karma

@emily-velasquez I had LG-LR-RC-LR and my first LR was significantly harder than my 2nd. I'm really hoping the first one was experimental lol but its so hard to tell because the 2nd one I think I finished on time which I usually don't. My first LR was 25 Q and my 2nd was 26. Idk why but I don't remember the content of the test like at all LOL just the amount of questions and how I was feeling

47 karma

Power Score released the recap. The second LR section was the scored one, with questions on Shakespeare, benefactors, accountants, the archer, sleeping pills, etc.