Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low LSAT Addendum

allisonlairallisonlair Alum Member
edited December 2023 in Law School Admissions 23 karma

hey y'all! I hope everyone had a merry christmas! I really need advice!!!!!!!!!! So, as I am working through my law school applications for the fall 2024 cycle, I am now thinking of possibly writing an addendum for my low lsat scores. I took the lsat in June scored a 147, and then in October a 148. I registered for this upcoming January as well. I have an amazing resume full of extracurriculars as well as a 4.0 GPA. During the time between June and October, my grandmother fought the end of her battle with cancer and passed away right before I took the LSAT in October. I truly do believe this is the sole reason for me not drastically improving, seeing that I was scoring 158's on my practice tests consistently. However, I am wondering if I should write an addendum for this and apply now and explain this and not take the January LSAT. Or should I take the January LSAT and not write this? What do y'all think? A lot of my applications are due at the beginning of February.

Addendum
  1. Should I write an Addendum?92 votes
    1. YES! Write an Addendum & DO NOT take January 2024 LSAT!
        7.61%
    2. YES! Write an Addendum & resubmit January LSAT scores after 1st app. submission!
      58.70%
    3. NO! DO NOT write an Addendum & TAKE the January 2024 LSAT!
      33.70%

Comments

• isabellesmith.2023isabellesmith.2023 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm not pleased with my LSAT score & was scoring so much better in practice than what I tested. It's very frustrating!! I wrote an addendum for apps and definitely recommend doing that. I submitted applications already with the addendum and stated that I will be retaking the LSAT in Jan, and a lot of the schools are holding out on my application until they get that new LSAT score. Best of luck to you! Remember not to stress too hard, things always work out in the end!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

If you post a higher score in Jan it might be worth explaining the disparity (some schools explicitly ask you to), but a school will generally view you as your highest score regardless, idiosyncrasies aside. That said, I'd think really hard about pushing to the next cycle. A February app is not ideal (I was a February applicant) and a 4.0 will get you into literally any school you want if you can bring your score up.

Sub-160 scores usually indicate foundational deficiencies, meaning you don't yet have all the tools to take the test. Also meaning that many of those missing points can be picked up fairly quickly. A 10 point test day penalty is big but not unreasonable in that scoring range where we expect more volatility.

Unless school choice and scholarships are of no consequence, I'd recommend trying for a higher LSAT and putting that GPA to better use. Feel free to message if you want some troubleshooting.

• Older_LS_Applicant85Older_LS_Applicant85 Core Member
    186 karma

Law school isn't going anywhere, so unless you have a personal reason why you absolutely need to attend law school as soon as possible, I'd suggest you take your time, retake, and get a solid score.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

Please study and retake. Even push to another cycle. You’re talking about over $100,000 in debt which might not seem like a lot but you will be stuck paying X amount each month after graduation. Loans are depressing especially compounding interest. Your future self will thank you. Best of luck to you.

• partyrockinpartyrockin Live Member
    68 karma

Write an addendum after retaking the LSAT--doesn't have to be January. In fact, like others here I'd encourage you to take a gap year and apply next cycle. With your GPA, if you get a high enough LSAT score you're looking at full-ride scholarships. If you're K-JD applicant now, then a gap year + some work experience will also position you better for acceptances + scholarship money. Admissions are rolling. January is already late if the deadlines for the schools you're looking at are early Feb. Apply October next year and watch the money roll in!

• jamespotter.h.77jamespotter.h.77 Free Trial Member
    edited January 17 2 karma

I appreciate the advice, I will keep it in my mind. I was searching for a site online where I can find reviews for online essay writing service and I found my answer on this https://topwritingreviews.com/services/writinguniverse website while searching for it online, I found your post and it is kind if unique headphones and that is why I came here to reply you.