PT62.S2.Q20 - The likelier x is, the likelier y is.

eeljasonnneeljasonnn Live Member
edited May 7 in Logical Reasoning 85 karma

Hi,

This is a question about an answer choice like that of PT62 S2 Q20.
It's: The younger a universe is, the brighter the stars are.

Do these relationships work similarly like conditionals, in that only after concluding that the universe is younger, we can say the brighter its stars are?

i.e. you can't see a situation that the stars are brighter, therefore conclude that the universe is younger with this type of relationship?

Thank you.

Admin Note: Edited title. For LR questions, please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question."

Comments

• jbantonyjbantony Core Member
    22 karma

I don't think the stimulus is claiming that the universe is younger per say. Rather I believe it is claiming that the previously mentioned star's age was inaccurate. The author of the argument uses brightness to as their reasoning to prove his fact by claiming that these stars are actually farther away than previously thought. Therefore if his reasoning is correct the brighter the star the younger it is. The way I approached this question was by questioning the conclusion almost like a necessary assumption question. by asking "why is is that this newly calculated distance resolves the earlier conflict?" Since brightness was used to justify it, it must mean that the brighter the star the younger it is.