Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Calming Nervous Habits

profile427profile427 Alum Member
in General 213 karma
Hi All,

Lots of people have nervous habits. We have the biters, scratchers, sighers, snifflers, pickers, chompers, mutterers, blinkers, tappers, grimacers, finger-flutterers, foot-jigglers, and so on...

I shall confess here that I'm a picker. It's most pronounced when I'm testing. If I'm on a particularly stressful question, I may pick a scab or a piece of dry skin so hard that I start bleeding a little. Besides good ol' medication (which as we know isn't a magic bullet and can affect our mental sharpness), what are some tips on how to calm these behaviors down during the LSAT?

I was inspired to write this post as I just finished a LG section and realized that my forehead and parts of my neck are inflamed (91% correct makes it worth it though, right?). Time to go clip my nails...

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Honestly, I would try practicing mindfulness and meditation.

http://www.helpguide.org/harvard/benefits-of-mindfulness.htm
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    +1 for everything @c.janson35 mentioned, and I am also a big yoga fan as well.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    edited July 2015 456 karma
    @c.janson35 and @Pacifico are both dead on.
    Before I take a PT I like to do about 15-20 minutes of a yoga routine, focusing especially on deep controlled breaths. After that I usually do a five minute meditation with the calm app, and then finally start the PT.

I never meditated nor did yoga before I started my lsat prep. A little ashamed to admit that I was skeptical about yoga/meditation before I started, but I truly believe it makes a difference for me.
    8021 karma
    I do yoga at least 5 days a week, but I don't do it right before I PT or anything like that... I usually like to get ready for every PT by watching The Mighty Ducks... and when I'm feeling extra crazy, I'll slip D2 in there as well...
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @Pacifico JY=Coach Bombay?
    8021 karma
    Hahah I was just making light of that person's screen name above me...
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Heh, I just noticed. Yeah yoga's good.

• profile427profile427 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Thanks so much, all! I think that I'll have to take a look at the 10% Happier book. :) And get back to a yoga practice. :)
  • __Juan____Juan__ Alum Member
    184 karma
    I saw a tv show lawyer who used beta blockers before litigation. You could try some herbal teas or stuff.