Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Questions about Essays

2»

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Definitely a tough needle to thread, and 95+% of such attempts would not be able to do it and would look bad. But the payoff would likely be pretty good if you're in that less than 5%. If you have a high GPA/high LSAT I wouldn't bother risking it. But if you're a splitter/reverse splitter then I'd definitely consider it more, but I probably wouldn't do it without professional help in order to avoid the various pitfalls.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    I probably wouldn't do it without professional help in order to avoid the various pitfalls.
    I agree with this. It's for these tough topics/spots that professional editing exists.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    edited August 2015 578 karma
    If we've already written a personal statement and a diversity statement, what are we expected to/what should we write for the Yale 250-word essay? Is that an essay in place of a diversity statement?
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma
    @mes08 No, don't write a diversity statement. This is a special essay. I'm creating a lesson about this, but here's the gist: stake out new territory. Write about anything. The normal rules don't apply: you don't have to tell the committee about yourself, at least not directly. Think of it as a chance to show off your writing and thinking. It's a more pure writing sample than the PS because it's not self-propaganda.
  • cacrv567cacrv567 Alum Member
    171 karma
    Hi David, At what point does a personal statement just become a sob story and how do you avoid that? Even though it's pretty clear my hardships have shaped who I am/helped me decide to go to law school, I don't want to seem like I'm just dumping all the bad things in my life into this essay. Thanks!
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma
    Great question. It's not about the content; it's about the tone. Your essay won't come off as a sob story as long as you don't complain, whine or beg. Say what happened to you, and focus on how you overcame those challenges. It is totally, one hundred percent valid to talk about your hardships.

The question isn't whether a given thing puts your story over the top and makes it a sob story; the question is whether it fits with your theme.
  • cacrv567cacrv567 Alum Member
    171 karma
    thanks for the advice!