Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retakes

rdelamatrdelamat Member
in General 47 karma
After reading quite a few posts on here, it seems to be the consensus that postponing a test, and nailing it the first time, is better than taking it once and then retaking it later. Exactly how bad is it to retake, though? I originally signed up for October, but I just barely finished the Core curriculum yesterday. I don't know that I'll reach my full potential by then, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did, considering how much I study. It just seems a lot riskier to let everything ride on one shot and only take December. Am I wrong to think that? Wouldn't it make sense to take both in case one throws some sort of curveball and falls way below what I would normally score? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Retakes aren't necessarily bad, but the consensus is to take the test when you at absolutely prepared for it so you only have to take it once because obviously that's ideal. A higher score on a retake is always better than a lower score on a first take, so just keep that in mind.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    It's simple, are you PT'ing at least a point above your realistic desired score? Then good luck with these remaining 7 weeks. If you are still a few points below that desired score, consider postponing till December.

I postponed for the first time last year from Dec->Feb. It was a good decision as I probably wasn't ready mentally for the test day nerves. I felt pretty calm in Feb.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Retakes are totally cool! Unless you're applying to Yale that is, but Yale is not cool because it is in New Haven! The reason we advise people to postpone until they are ready is that you're essentially wasting an attempt and since retakes are cool, you might need to take the test two or three times to hit your desired score. If you waste an attempt when you're not ready then you only have two more chances to hit your target. You can only take it three times in two years and anything over three tries is when it is generally viewed as starting to count against you.

Don't forget there is always February which is still good for admission to most schools for the following fall. If you are unequivocally not ready, then why waste an attempt? study hard for December and if something goes awry then submit your apps and register for February. In almost all cases you app will be held pending the outcome of your February test.
  • Gia_HenryGia_Henry Alum Member
    94 karma
    If you have already signed up and paid for the October test, is it possible to cancel that test time, and move it to December or February, or are you locked in once you're signed up?
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @"Gia_Henry" said:
    If you have already signed up and paid for the October test, is it possible to cancel that test time, and move it to December or February, or are you locked in once you're signed up?
    There's a deadline to cancel.
    http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines/2015-2016/us-canada-oct
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    You can change the date for a fee, deadline is September 11th.
    1489 karma
    Looks like the fee is $90.
  • Gia_HenryGia_Henry Alum Member
    94 karma
    Wow. I don't have $90 to spare right now. I won't get my college reimbursement money until around the 15th of September. Ugh! Well... hopefully I'll get where I need to be by then. I signed up and paid at the end of April, naively thinking, 6 months would be plenty of time. My thought was, there is no math... I got this. Boy, did I underestimate this one!!!!

Thanks for the info!
    1489 karma
    No problem. You could also cancel and just register again when you feel ready. You'll take a hit financially but it's better than taking the test when you're not ready. Just my 2 cents.