Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Labeling in LR

rdelamatrdelamat Member
in General 47 karma
Out of curiosity, do people generally label the LR passages (i.e. Premises, conclusions, etc.) or just do it mentally? I'm considering labeling the premises and conclusions in every passage to improve my overall speed at identifying these things, but I'm not sure if that's something that people use as an actual test strategy.

Comments

• goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    For practice, if you are struggling at identifying the P and C, then I would do it until it becomes second nature. If you mean to use the method on test day, I tried it and it wasted some valuable time.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    I don't usually do it during a timed PT (sometimes I do, like if I am having trouble analyzing the passage). What I almost always do, though, is circle "strong" words such as "most," "only," "all," etc. This is especially helpful for most strongly supported questions and inference questions because the correct answer choice often relates back to the phrases containing those "strong" words. During BR, I am more likely to explicitly breakdown premises and conclusions since the questions I BR are the ones that gave me some trouble during the timed exam. If you are just starting out, I think explicitly labeling the premises and conclusions is very helpful. In time and with enough practice, you will just be able to "see" them without having to explicitly mark them.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    A quick bracketing and notation of C for conclusion is a huge help. Same goes for P premise. For me that is step one after reading stimulus. It only takes a second and really situates the statements as they pertain to the argument.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 1294 karma
    I just use notations when dealing with arguments. I put MC for main conclusion, SC for sub conclusion, and the premises I just put a P next to. I don't know for others, but it does help me concentrate on analysing the argument.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    I mark up almost every question in LR that has an argument in it. I don't label anything using letters, but I do underline main conclusions and bracket premises.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I find that I almost instinctually bracket the conclusion in a stimulus when I reach it. It's not something I really think about, but I do it on most of the questions.