Letters of Rec -- who to ask?

fishtwentyfivefishtwentyfive Free Trial Member
in General 227 karma
How's it going. One of the people that I plan to ask for a letter from does not have his PhD. He's taught two of my classes; he's a grad student where I go to undergrad. But I feel that he could write me a good letter of rec. Should I ask him, or should I only ask people that have graduated from grad school, like legitimate professors? The other person I'm asking is a legitimate professor. Thanks guys

Comments

• allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    Ask him
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    edited September 2015 217 karma
    I'd ask the grad student but (if allowed) submit a third letter from a professor. It really is about quality.... but my worry would be that being a grad student yourself a letter from another grad student might just come across as a friend who wrote you a LoR.

Edit: Something else you can do is get your CV all nice and pretty and ask your friend to introduce you to his department head (or go to your own) and ask them for a LoR for law school.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @KimberlyK said:
    Something else you can do is get your CV all nice and pretty and ask your friend to introduce you to his department head
    it's not advised to get LOR's from anyone who does not know you well. I vote grad student who knows you well over dept head who doesn't know you from Adam.
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    not advised to get LOR's from anyone who does not know you well
    Not advised doesn't mean can't be done and done well in a pinch. I see your point, though. ^.^ Lol. I got a stellar recommendation from a professor I constantly irritated, so don't listen to me ;)
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    The reason why it's not advised is because the person who is writing the letter matters much less than what is said. If your LOR is coming from your university president but is filled with cliches and platitudes then it's going to be really obvious that he or she didn't really know you, and at the end of the day that's the only thing LORs are useful for--to offer some sort of insight into your academic/work ability that cannot be gleaned from your personal statement or resume alone. If your LOR is filled with "great student, better person, 3.9 GPA much hardwerker" then it's largely (if not entirely) going to be brushed aside with an eye roll. But if your recommender can honestly and insightfully comment on your abilities as a student and level of academic work then you'll have yourself a winning letter. This isn't something you can write yourself, nor is it something that someone who doesn't know you or your work can do.