Increase focus/concentration?

TheBatmanTheBatman Alum Member
in General 255 karma
Hey all,

Just wondering how I can increase focus/concentration? I keep on thinking about other things while doing PT questions. I take longer than I should/could on questions.

I starting meditation right now every morning.

Is there anything else anyone recommends?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Bulletproof coffee, yoga, or just learn to tell your brain to shut the fuck up because you're busy taking a PT.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Yeah--mindfulness. Exercise :) drink 3 liters of water a day!
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    During one of the BR calls I participated in DumbHollywoodActor mentioned meditation. I tried it & it really does seem to work. I find when I do this before a practice test now, I tend to stay better focused, and if I feel like my mind is starting to wonder off, I just take a couple of deep breaths & it re-centers & focuses me on the exam. I found a guided meditation specific for focusing on youtube.
  • lsatmantaraylsatmantaray Free Trial Member
    46 karma
    I'm easily distracted too. I've been doing yoga for quite a while. My friend suggested me to write down what's bugging me on paper. So far, the writing down thing works best for me.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Bulletproof coffee
    = the shit.
  • PMLSAT83PMLSAT83 Alum Member
    124 karma
    seriously: Bulletproof coffee? Ok, i guess I'll try. Which is the legit brand?
    7965 karma
    @PMLSAT83 said:
    Which is the legit brand?
    The kind you make with coffee and MCT oil. My absolute favorite is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8E0QQG?keywords=brain octane oil&qid=1446483631&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I used to make mine in a shaker cup. Blended is nice. Now I actually just take the oil separately like a junkie and then drink coffee.

Raw coconut oil (http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Organic-Raw-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B0128XYMGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446483764&sr=8-1&keywords=artisana+coconut+oil) and true grass fed/pastured (ideally raw) butter is fine. IMO, you gotta go full hippie on this one. Otherwise you're wasting your time.
    124 karma
    Oh, so it's not a specific type of coffee. Rather, any coffee and these two ingredients?
    7965 karma
    @PMLSAT83 said:
    Rather, any coffee and these two ingredients?
    The MCT is IMO the most important but the combination is fine ... Depends on your goals. Cannot stress enough that the quality of the ingredients is non-negotiable.
    7965 karma
    I use K-cups ;)
    1196 karma
    nicole.hopkins I thought the bulletproof coffee Pacifico was talking about was just a joke about drinking really strong coffee but this brain octane stuff is what he was talking about. Wow, how does that & the raw coconut oil work? Does it really help you focus better? Do you use both or just one or the other?
    124 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Raw coconut oil (http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Organic-Raw-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B0128XYMGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446483764&sr=8-1&keywords=artisana+coconut+oil) and true grass fed/pastured (ideally raw) butter is fine. IMO, you gotta go full hippie on this one. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

Can i correctly assume that you've replaced the butter with this?
    edited November 2015 1644 karma
    Conversations with friends and family about Bulletproof coffee has been the source of many weird looks and "what do you put in your coffee again" statements. But, it has helped me a lot, not just with studying but with how I feel overall. It is by no means a cure all, but it can eliminate the mental cloudiness that can hang over us at times.

I started out with the Bulletproof brand beans but have experimented with other coffees as well. There are sources out there that'll attempt to debunk the science behind the Bulletproof beans that Dave Asprey puts out. I won't go into all that here, but like with all things, you can find studies that will say yes and no to just about anything. I go on how I feel. I haven't noticed a difference between BP beans and others.

The Brain Octane oil is awesome and is a very high quality MCT oil. It is a little expensive so I don't use it all of the time. I'll usually sub in organic extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil which is loaded with MCTs as well, just not as concentrated.

I usually load it with butter. 3 tablespoons of local and raw butter from only grass fed cows. Again, I can speak for hours about the benefits of raw grass-fed milk and butter (well, not to the lactose intolerant crowd... poor souls), but I won't muddy the water. I usually get my best studying done early in the morning (or late at night when working third shift). Having the butter first thing keeps the hunger pains away... sometimes until lunch. It is still nourishing your body with vitamins and nutrition, but the nagging hunger feeling isn't there. This is where a lot of the increase in concentration has come from for me personally.

Like @nicole.hopkins said above, you have to embrace your inner hippie. BP coffee can be incredibly satisfying and make you feel great, but if you don't use high quality ingredients, there's no benefit and possibly detrimental effects depending on what you're using. I haven't missed a morning of it for a year.... and I hope I never miss one.
    124 karma
    Never thought I'd be drinking coffee mixed with butter. We'll see what this does tomorrow. I'll report back.
    1644 karma
    @PMLSAT83 Oh, I forgot to mention and I think Nicole mentioned, I've always had better luck blending it. It's the best way that I have found to get it to mix together. Find a way that works best for you.
    7965 karma
    @PMLSAT83 said:
    Can i correctly assume that you've replaced the butter with this?
    I mean, the brain octane oil the bomb dot com.

If you're just using regular coconut oil then I'd probably mix it with butter. Wow such flavor. Many lovely fats. Or you could just do coconut oil.

Top rec is the Brain Octane ... Otherwise, try it out and see what you think!
    124 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    I've always had better luck blending it
    I'll probably start out blending it. then turn into an addict like Nicole mentioned. Will follow the rules on the first go-around.
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    Bulletproof brand beans
    I've never used their beans -- only the Brain Octane oil.

The BulletProof beans are just benefitting from marketing. The beans are in no real way part of the "bulletproof" experience. It's the MCT's and other fats.
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    I usually load it with butter. 3 tablespoons of local and raw butter from only grass fed cows.
    Hell yeah ... Are you my HFLC soulmate ???
    7965 karma
    DAMN. 3 tbsp. I'm impressed.
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    well, not to the lactose intolerant crowd... poor souls
    Ghee!
    1644 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Ghee!
    Thats true! That slipped my mind.

@nicole.hopkins said:
    Are you my HFLC soulmate ???
    Very well could be. I just got back from the local farm with all kinds of goodies. Including BACON!!!.... raised and fed the right way!

@nicole.hopkins said:
    It's the MCT's and other fats.
    Dead on. Asprey is a master marketer (or hired someone who is). The beans tasted great, but didn't provide the caffeine kick that I am accustomed to now. And, $85 for 5 lbs started to hurt after a little while.
    1196 karma
    Just ordered both of the items nicole.hopkins mentioned & will have to go to Wholefoods for the butter, can't wait to try this. Thanks guys!
  • lsatblitzlsatblitz Alum Member
    521 karma
    Focus XT is basically an energy drink mix with a ton of nootropics that I've used for practice tests and studying. I find that I'm able to get through an entire PT when I take it without feeling dead afterwards. I'm usually more calm without any caffeine though.
    7965 karma
    @lsatblitz said:
    Focus XT is basically an energy drink mix with a ton of nootropics that I've used for practice tests and studying.
    Intriguing!
  • divina ruledivina rule Alum Member
    14 karma
    Vitamin B12
    1196 karma
    This is a great forum topic, I take a low dose of Strattera for ADD and I would love a natural alternative to that, I'm thinking some natural remedies might be a lot less expensive as well. Any other recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    is this real??????? I could really use some energy in my life
    7965 karma
    @badgalriri totes real!!
    1644 karma
    @badgalriri said:
    is this real??????? I could really use some energy in my life
    Try it. Let us know what you think.
  • TheBatmanTheBatman Alum Member
    edited November 2015 255 karma
    All your advice is great, I read all your comments. I will try Yoga. I forgot to mention that I don't want any caffeinated stuff. I don't like coffee or tea, and don't drink both. I want to avoid them. Also, I want to avoid any type medication or pill; other people have been recommending me to take ritalin or other things, I don't want to take these stuff. Ha, sorry I'm picky.

So far I started trying to meditate, like mentioned, using this app called "Headspace," but we'll see if it works. And, I jog every morning for about 30 to 40 min. Plus, I started eating healthy and reading.

I was wondering if there is anything else I can do?

Am I on the right track, and will have to wait for awhile to see change in my concentration level?
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Take a look at this Bruce. Hope it helps you.

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Have you tried shadowboxing or perhaps chewing a noiseless piece of rubber? Really takes the edge off...
    edited November 2015 1196 karma
    Great video ENTJ and I totally get this now after trying meditation this past week before I PT, it really does help. Also thank you Pacifico for telling us about Bulletproof coffee, I couldn't wait to try it after hearing all the rave reviews & didn't wait to get my brain octane from Amazon. I bought some organic grass fed butter last night & some organic coconut oil & tried it this morning. In short I feel like a race horse that can't wait to get out of the gate. I skipped my 40mg Strattera this morning, so can't wait to see how my focus is without it & with the bulletproof coffee. I don't normally PT this late in the day but I can't wait to see if it actually improves my focus during a PT. For TheBatman, I normally just have one cup of coffee in the morning with breakfast & do not feel anything like this afterwards, so I'm betting the butter & coconut oil have more to do with it than the caffeine. Might be worth trying with decaf or green tea or something else you do like, just an idea.
    124 karma
    @ENTJ said:
    Take a look at this Bruce. Hope it helps you.
    I see an improvement over the last few months. But i don't believe I'm at the level mentioned in this video. I meditate for twenty minutes every day at 7AM. I wish there was more information on how-to meditate properly.
    124 karma
    My Brain Octane arrives tomorrow - pumped!!
    7965 karma
    @PMLSAT83 said:
    My Brain Octane arrives tomorrow - pumped!!
    It's the bomb dot com!!
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited November 2015 477 karma
    @PMLSAT83 http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/audio_player/6036.html Gil Fronsdal has lectures every Wed starting this one . you can look up these at : http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/1/ I try to listen to these
  • Camila.M.Camila.M. Free Trial Member
    edited November 2015 41 karma
    I'm sure all of this has been talked about before, but wanted to share the habits I've started while studying for the LSAT.

I've been using Headspace for meditation and once you pass the basic levels you can proceed to visualization techniques that work specifically on improving your focus. To see results you have stay with it. Make it a daily practice. Sam Harris is also great and accessible via youtube.

Fueling your body with the good stuff - foods high in Omega-3's, supplements like spirulina and magnesium to reduce tension, complex carbs from whole grains, plants plants plants etc. Of course, plenty of H20 and 8 hours of sleep.

A consistent exercise routine has been paramount - it's enabled me to focus on proper form and being present for that specific period of time, both of which translate on the exam. Whenever I'm extra critical of myself or stressed or I just need to get out of my own LSAT bubble, I opt for a yoga class.

I've tried to lay off the coffee, though I still have one cup in the morning because I enjoy it so damn much. For focus, I drink matcha green tea (quality is also huge for this) and/or yerba mate. I find both give me a steady (non-jittery) alertness that continues throughout the day.

Essential oils that promote focus and concentration. I can't think of the name of the one that I use, but they sell on Amazon and Whole Foods.

Reading, podcasts (specifically, the thinking lsat - valuable dialogue).

In my opinion, a holistic approach is the best. I think all of these habits will serve you well, not only on the LSAT but throughout your life.

I'm going to try Bulletproof oil too! Thanks guys
    124 karma
    Invaluable community support. What a great group of folks.
  • TheBatmanTheBatman Alum Member
    255 karma
    Thank you all! Your comments have been extremely helpful. If you have more advice or questions about focus/concentration, keep them coming! This is a great community!
    1196 karma
    My experiment was a bit of a flop today, took the first section RC (my worst section to begin with) and realized I couldn't focus at all even with taking some deep breaths & meditating before hand. Lesson learned although it did give me great energy & amp'd up my adrenaline, I needed the Strattera after all to maintain my focus. After missing 12 on RC and having a quick lunch & taking my Strattera I was still able to reach my average of 158 & 170 on BR. So I think I will continue with the bulletproof coffee but just make sure I continue with the Strattera as well.
    7965 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    So I think I will continue with the bulletproof coffee but just make sure I continue with the Strattera as well.
    I don't think any of us would ever recommended anyone make changes to medication regimens as we are not medical professionals.

Also, it's important to only make one change to a given system at a time ... For instance, make one change to the diet and one change to the habits, etc.