Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clean copy BR process

Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
in General 1196 karma
Just to clarify when you LSAT PT rockstars do your clean copy BR, are you just BRing the ones your circled during your PT or are you going back through every question untimed? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @Sheri123 just the ones you circle during the PT.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I go ahead and do all of the Q's - I have caught myself changing a timed correct answer to a wrong answer on BR showing that I really didn't understand the question, so it makes it a more thorough review for me. Or, on a positive note, it confirms my understanding when I get the same correct answer:)
  • xqr1s4f3edxqr1s4f3ed Alum Member
    118 karma
    @Sheri123 I do them all. It takes me precisely two hours to BR an individual LR section, yet it is a powerful process. It is critical you slowly review each answer choice, and document why it is wrong or right. Over time the patterns emerge, and additionally all of that patient reading helps you quickly decipher the LSAT's often cryptic and convoluted prose. That then translates to higher scores in other sections, especially RC.

Tedious? Yes. Beneficial? Hugely.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @focaliant said:
    Over time the patterns emerge, and additionally all of that patient reading helps you quickly decipher the LSAT's often cryptic and convoluted prose.
    Yes!
    @focaliant said:
    That then translates to higher scores in other sections, especially RC.
    YES!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I only do the ones I circled and then I review my confidence errors after scoring. If you want to BR the whole test I recommend just doing the questions you circled first, record your BR answers for those, and then use those to score the test so you still get a good feel for your timed/BR split. Confidence errors are hugely important as they teach you what your brain is missin and if any patterns emerge. Then after you BR just the circled questions you can go back and BR the rest of the questions so you could end up with 3 scores: timed/classic BR/whole test BR.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Thanks Pacifico, that's a great idea.
    1196 karma
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    edited November 2015 181 karma
    Felt like I could add to the discussion here...

My times scores are in the mid 160s to high 160s, yet I found that only BRing questions I circled did not really benefit me. Maybe it's a problem with me not circling ENOUGH, but the majority of the questions I was getting wrong were due to confidence errors. It takes much longer, but BRing the entire test works out much better for me because it forces me to go over everything again.

I have had some instances since where I've gotten a question right initially but then wrong during br, which wouldn't have happened if I used the circling method (in my case). But isn't the whole point of reviewing is to show where your weaknesses are? At least that's what I tell myself :P
    7965 karma
    @sean.marz said:
    It takes much longer, but BRing the entire test works out much better for me because it forces me to go over everything again.
    I dig on this. Recommend it now. Nothing to lose. Just don't get into the mindset where it's like ... I have to do the WHOLE test BR or NONE AT ALL.

Shoutout to my all-or-nothing minded fellow humans.
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    edited November 2015 318 karma
    I, like Sean said, will have instances where I initially answer it correctly, didn't circle, but during entire test BR I choose a different incorrect answer. So I too advocate for BRing an entire test. It is just extra practice and really forces you to work on your POE skills.

Pacifico's idea of 3 scores sounds like a great method to keep track of your timed/BR split.
  • xqr1s4f3edxqr1s4f3ed Alum Member
    118 karma
    The insistent urge to move on to the next PT is seductive but detrimental. It inherently assumes there is an absolute and positive relationship between volume of PTs and score level.

The most important PT is the one you're working on right now. Milk it.
    1196 karma
    The question is certainly not if to BR or not, but to what degree to BR, just those circled or everything.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @sean.marz said:
    Maybe it's a problem with me not circling ENOUGH, but the majority of the questions I was getting wrong were due to confidence errors.
    Not circling enough is exactly the problem on the front end. But you should still be reviewing your confidence errors in depth anyways so even though they don't add to your BR score, there are still at least 5 teachable moments in each of those questions (at least one per AC). You don't just see confidence errors and go oh darn I got that one wrong and move on. You spend as much, if not more, time on your confidence errors as you do on the ones you circled.

Reviewing the whole thing is great if you have the time, but it is very important to see the difference in the outcomes of questions you circle or don't circle and what you choose on BR for the former.
  • sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    181 karma
    Fair point. For me, I would see those confidence errors, go through the video explainations and think 'well of course I got it wrong!' whereas if I br everything, I get to have more of those 'aha' moments on my own. I still circle questions that give me trouble, I just don't let them be an excuse to not review the other parts of the test.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    The best of all BR review worlds for me is to identify the confidence errors, double missed questions, double correct answers and changed to incorrect answers during BR of non-circled questions. Incredible tools that I track for each PT as I break down each AC for each question as recommended.
    1196 karma
    I review them all, but do put an asterisk by the ones that I got wrong & circled after I do my BR so that I can go back through & and make sure I understand why I couldn't get the right choice. I also in addition to going through the ones I didn't get wrong but circled, after the BR I also watch the videos to cement in why it was the correct choice.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited November 2015 6866 karma
    Do them all. If they're as easy as you think they are, then it won't take you very long to dispose of them again, right? I mean, you literally just did them. And if you struggle, then I guess it's kind of awkward that you thought it was an easy question unworthy of review...
    1196 karma
    Hi Jonathan Wang, well I guess you have a point, it would just be like taking the whole PT twice, which would certainly probably help improve any gaps there might be with the luxury of time on my side. Thanks
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @sean.marz said:
    It takes much longer, but BRing the entire test works out much better for me because it forces me to go over everything again.
    Great point. Thanks for the tip. I'll try this when I start back PTing.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    I do them all. I can learn of a confidence error once I’ve come to a question that I’ve changed during BR but didn’t circle during the timed test. For me, almost every confidence error is a misread, so I like having a second chance to catch that misread with the BR because it teaches me not to rush during the timed test, which I can sometimes do.
    7965 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" said:
    And if you struggle, then I guess it's kind of awkward that you thought it was an easy question unworthy of review...
    Yes!
    7965 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    well I guess you have a point
    I would listen to Jonathan.