Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Figuring out the setup

LeoA1994LeoA1994 Member
So I'm still going through the 7Sage curriculum and I'm sure (or at least hoping) that I'll get much better at Logic Games (before enrolling when I just tried them out a few times I was like -15) and as I'm slowly going through the practice and what not, I'm noticing the one MAIN and basically only issue I have with games.

I am horrible at figuring out / visualizing in my mind how to set up games if they are not simple 1 to 1 sequencing.

Diagramming the rules, coming up with inferences, all of that is coming to me fairly quickly, but reading the stimulus and figuring out how to draw the setup what rows/charts/etc to use is where I seem to get stuck at.

Any tips on how to overcome this?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you haven't finished all the LG sections in the curriculum I would do that first before you get too worried about this.

90+% of games are either grouping (of which in/out is a subset) or sequencing, or both. The rest are the random miscellaneous games like circle games, pattern games, or the visual games with the provided boards like the benches or lights games in the LG bundle.

So first you should be able to recognize, is it sequencing, grouping or something crazy?

If it's sequencing (even if it isn't one to one mapping) then you should be able to pretty easily make a game board with the prescribed amount of slots.

If it's sequencing and there are either two slots per number/day/etc. or there is a quality to each game piece then it's probably best to set up as a double layer sequencing game. So it could be morning and afternoon shifts for each day of the week, or 5 runners in a race each wear a different color jersey.

If it's grouping it should be pretty apparent from the stimulus that things are being assigned to one thing or another, or another, or another. If it is just two then even if it is not a case where some people do one thing and some people don't, you can still treat it as an in/out game since and in/out game is fundamentally a grouping game with just 2 groups.

From there you could have sequencing within one or both groups, as with the dog show game, or you could have subcategories/qualities of each element in each group, as with the dog show game again. If you can master the dog show game it will really teach you a lot about all sorts of different dynamics.

There are a lot more permutations to unpack, but hopefully this gives you some starting points, and looking at the game boards cheatsheet in the curriculum is one good way to sort of get a visual for different possibilities.

The biggest thing if you don't know what to do is just DO SOMETHING. Seriously, don't be the deer in the headlights. Put pencil to paper, write down the elements. Try out a board, try to write out the rules. If it doesn't work, try something else, maybe try the acceptable situation question if there is one, or skip ahead to the next game and come back. Usually if you write a game board wrong and skip ahead and come back you should realize where you went wrong and what to do instead. Just keep the momentum and stop spinning those wheels.

And once you finish the curriculum there is no substitute for practice. This should get you moving in the right direction: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy