Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Diversity Statement - 7Sage Forum

Diversity Statement

mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
in General 368 karma
Dear 7sagers,

I need your help again. If a diversity statement is optional (I don't think it's required anywhere), should we submit one? And if everything in the statement is fairly obvious to the adcom (race, upbringing, background etc)?

Thank you so much!

Comments

• lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    I would say yes. A diversity statement doesn't have to be about race/ethnicity, economic status, etc. It can be a story about what makes you different (some people write about how they lost weight, others have written stories about their anxieties, etc). You have another chance beyond your personal statement to tell the school more about yourself and how you stand out, which can really help you if you do a good job of it.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    @lsatings
    Good point. I guess my question now is - if I don't do a good job, does it hurt? Say adcom feels that it's redundant.
    349 karma
    Just make sure it isn't redundant and that you have several people (who know what theyre doing) look it over. Make sure it isnt a recap of your resume, or an add on of your personal statement, and that it doesnt rehash other things available in your application (unless you have a story to tell about it). If you do a bad job it wont really break you, but if you do a good job, it could really make you stand out. Think of a very specific personal experience, how you overcame it, what happened as a result, etc. One person wrote a diversity statement about a bad date that they had and it was actually a really good read. Dont just submit something because you feel like you have to, people in admissions can always tell if something was written last minute or if very little time was spent on it.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    @lsatings

Thank you! I've been thinking less is more but I guess I will submit a mediocre DS just to show some effort...
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    I'm not sure submitting a mediocre DS or any other writing would be a good option. They will certainly note & take into consider how well thought out and written everything you submit is.
  • destinyriggsdestinyriggs Alum Member
    23 karma
    What if I submitted without a diversity statement-- is it bad form to ask to have one added to my file? I have one ready to go (it's even well written). For some inexplicable reason I didn't want to reveal so much about myself the day I hit submit.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Hey Mimi, I haven't forgotten about you, I'm just in the midst of yoga teacher training and it's 12 hours a day of yoga and instruction so I have been super busy. Do not submit subpar writing. A DS and optional essays are there to provide opportunities for you to show off more about yourself as well as your writing skills. Mediocre to poor optional essays are worse than none. Above all else you want it to be interesting, authentic, and well written.

@destinyriggs my opinion is no, do not send one in after submission. I could be off base her but my understanding is that updates are just that: updates for things already submitted (almost always the resume). I'd say you just need to sleep in the bed you've made and don't make the same mistake on future apps. I think it looks bad to call attention to the fact that you forgot a major (but optional) component and the quality is not likely to make up for that. That's just my two cents but I'm sure there are opinions to the contrary that might say hey anything goes. If it's not amazing or really unique, I definitely wouldn't send it.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    gunna have to agree with Pacifico here, Adcoms don't want to read any more than they have to in order to grasp who you are as an applicant so make sure it is something worthy of a Diversity Statement and very well done.
    As for submitting after the rest of the application is sent I think it is tough. I could see it being a bad idea for similar reasons as above. You don't want them to think you applied then tried thinking up ways to make yourself look better after the fact. However if it is a very solid DS (both matter and well written) I could see it being a good idea to sent it out. @destinyriggs I would try asking someone with more experience, maybe just on TLS in the threads with past adcoms, or ask Spivey on his thread therem they would have the best insight on how a late DS would be looked at
    349 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    I'm not sure submitting a mediocre DS or any other writing would be a good option. They will certainly note & take into consider how well thought out and written everything you submit is.
    I agree, if you don't plan on submitting a quality DS then it might not be a good idea to submit one. It won't break you, but it wont look good for you either.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @mimimimi said:
    if I don't do a good job, does it hurt? Say adcom feels that it's redundant.
    Yes.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Do not submit subpar writing. A DS and optional essays are there to provide opportunities for you to show off more about yourself as well as your writing skills. Mediocre to poor optional essays are worse than none.
    YES.