Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you convert from self-study (i.e. Powerscore) to 7Sage?

kokobazookakokobazooka Member
in General 127 karma
Hi all,

I have been studying off of the Powerscore for a month or so before signing up with 7Sage. I have made some great gains through Powerscore but I felt I needed something more. I didn't want to take an onsite class after reviewing some of the instructors ( they can really make or break a learning experience) and found that online studying's self pace makes it easy to adjust the curriculum to one's learning curve.

I was just wondering if anyone has switched from a self study like Powerscore to 7Sage, how are you studying? Do you supplement 7Sage with the self study book?

In my case, I have the Powerscore material and am thinking about going through the core curriculums simultaneously. For example, I would watch all 7Sage "main point" videos and then jump straight into Powerscore "main point" chapter right after. I'm not sure if that double whammy would work for or against me. The concerns are 1. conflicting techniques that counter each other and 2. time (it would take way more time to go through both)

Then another thought is to just go through the 7Sage core curriculum as soon as possible so I can jump into the PT's, since the actual PT's will be the true studying. ... any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Please excuse typos.

Comments

• SimplyColeSimplyCole Member
    60 karma
    I switched from Powerscore to 7 Sage. In my opinion drop Powerscore completely and pick up a copy of The LSAT Trainer and go through it with the 7 Sage material. Thats what I did. I found Powerscore to be overly complicated and confusing. Save the PT's until you have a good grasp on the material. Don't waste them.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    I’ve been studying for almost a year now, and I began with a self study like Powerscore for the bulk of that time. It’s difficult for me to pinpoint exactly how much I gained from that compared to what I would have gained from 7Sage. It certainly served as an introduction to logical concepts on the LSAT, and now that I’m on 7Sage, things are going a lot quicker than if I had started with 7Sage. But it’s not like I’m really saving any time or effort. I already drilled those concepts over and over again, and I suspect I could probably have drilled them more effectively via 7Sage. Where I’ve found 7Sage and my self study to be in conflict, 7Sage has been better. I’ve had to relearn a lot. Also, my score really stagnated on self study. I plateaued with no chance of improvement in sight. 7Sage, to me, is the far better program for pushing your score higher. I did like having a book which is the only thing I can say was better on my self study. A book with paper that I could write on with a pencil was great. 7Sage will direct you to the exercises within the prep tests, but it takes a minute between every question to find the right test, flip to the right section and find the question. It’s fine, it will just really slow you down and you can’t develop any rhythm.

Overall, I definitely recommend 7Sage and only 7Sage. Switching back and forth will probably only introduce confusion as you try and sort through multiple approaches to the same concepts.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I studied for 5-6 months. I used both PowerScore and 7Sage. I would recommend against switching back and forth between lessons. I think that would be unnecessarily confusing. Overall, 7Sage is stronger, so complete that first. Honestly, I would put the PowerScore material to the side for now.

For RC and especially LG, I didn't find PowerScore particularly helpful. In fact, I would suggest that you completely ignore PowerScore's LG books (i.e. never consult them). 7sage's LG material is so much better. However, PowerScore's LR Bible clicked well with me and I prefer PowerScore's approach to LR.

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    A family member of mine recommended the PS trilogy. Although I do not regret buying the books, I do regret spending money and time on them. In my opinion, they over complicate the simplest of concepts.

I switched from another prep company + self-study to 7Sage + Trainer. The other prep course just didn't do it for me. Too many rules to memorize, too many methods to have to think about, etc.

Do what you're most comfortable with.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited March 2016 3197 karma
    I too started with Powerscore + LSAT Trainer and used it in conjunction with 7Sage and the LSAT Mastermind Group. It's really about just finding what works for you.

I love the way 7Sage does games, Manhattan has helped a lot with RC and I think 7Sage and MMG have helped me a ton with LR.

It's really just about finding what works best for you. The 7Sage explanations for LR are so valuable to me.

I would say I still consider 7Sage a self study program. You have to stay on task and be disciplined. No one is there to make sure you did the work or that you "showed" up to class so self discipline will still be paramount to your success.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I started with parts of Kaplan, Powerscore, Manhattan Prep, The LSAT Trainer and 7Sage over the course of a year wasting a lot of time and money. Last Fall, I withdrew from Dec test and "started over" to make sure my fundamentals were solid.

From personal experience and a serious attempt to create a study plan that incorporated concepts from all of my resources, I am thankful that I committed to fully completing the 7Sage curriculum without incorporating other materials during that time. 7Sage will give you the foundation to allow you the ability to "know what you don't know" for the test. Once you finish, that is the time to potentially explore other resources to provide different viewpoints on specific areas that are holding you back or need extra clarification.

Seeing that you have the Ultimate package - take advantage of all that 7Sage offers. This forum is an incredible resource to guide your studies with support during the curriculum and advice for supplemental resources for your target areas after the curriculum.
    All the best!!!
  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    i switched from Powerscore to 7sage and i would honestly recommend using 7sage over powerscore. It would have been a much better investment because ive learned way more with JY popping into my head saying "so what, who cares?" when doing questions than Powerscore classes. Powerscore classes did help though (i went from 138 to 153 highest but that was because of the Logic Games i really improved at section) but the meticulous breakdown on 7sage is amazing.
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I started off with Powerscore in Spring 2014, then withdrew from the June '14 test. I took a year off from studying, graduated from undergrad, then started with 7Sage last August. JY explains things in such a clear and concise manner. I've read other prep books and sat-in on a few classes of other prep companies, but 7Sage is simply unparalleled. You will actually look forward to studying because JY always throws in hilarious anecdotes. Eventually, you'll hear his voice in your head guiding you through LR sections. "Who cares?" "There you go."

If you want to supplement with a self-study book, The LSAT Trainer pairs great with 7Sage. The flaw section, especially, is spectacular.

I also like that 7Sage doesn't hop on the "3 months to 170" train. For many students, it takes much longer to reach 170 or their goal score. JY cuts through the BS and lets you know that many high-scorers take nearly a year (or more) to reach their peak. And that's okay. Go at what pace is comfortable for you. You'll have an awesome community supporting you every step of the way. Best of luck!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @rakinalikhan and @Micaela_OVO I would have to add “what in the world!?” to the JYisms that pop into my head. What in the world indeed.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    I started off with Kaplan...