Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curriculum approach

in General 17 karma
Hello all: Scored a 151 on the Feb exam with moderate self prep-perfectly average-I'm aiming for a 157. I know it seems that so many people who post on LSAT sites bemoan their mid 160s score. I've come to believe that there are a lot of score fibbers out there, or the top 10% of LSAT takers disproportionately post and complain compared to all LSAT takers. Either way, we in the 148-153 range have the numbers-the overwhelming majority. As such, I'm working, like most of you, to get out of the "middle" and into the 154-158: 60% to 75% range. Anyway, my question is about the curriculum itself; I'm a bit unclear about the approach, do you recommend sitting for all of the lessons via video before attempting the sections in PTs 1-35? Could you advise?

Comments

• Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Hello!

Here's what I'd advise: Go through the course and make sure your fundamentals are solid before hitting the PTs. There are problems sets after each question type- no need to do all of them. Do them until you have a good understanding of the question type and then move on. You can save the extra sets for drilling later. One thing you should absolutely do before PTing is make sure you are really good at logic games. Use the foolproof method for games 1-35. Most people use PTs from 35-77 for full timed exams. Blind review your exams thoroughly. Don't get stuck in the trap of "I need to take as many exams as I can" and end up taking 4+ tests a week with crappy review, if any at all. Most of your gains will be seen in blind review. Think quality, not quantity.

As far as the score fibbers, I don't think anyone here is lying; what benefit does that give them? However, people posting on LSAT forums about their score and wanting to improve are probably the ones who are studying the most- hence the disproportion.

Best of luck with your studies!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    That's a really good question @Belgianwaffles . I'm working through the curriculum and have often wondered when to reinforce the lessons with material from the bundle. I totally get the process for Games, but it is less clear how to approach LR and RC. I think there is a lesson upfront about how to use the course, but I don't recall if it addresses this question or not. If it doesn't, I think this would be a really valuable addition.

As for score fibbers, I'm sure they're out there, but @micaela_OVO makes a good point. There may be more in the middle, but the higher scorers are much more likely to be the ones who are really actively engaged with the LSAT studying process and with the online communities.
  • bbutlerbbutler Inactive ⭐
    401 karma
    @Belgianwaffles I agree with @Micaela_OVO on everything that she said. The key to improvement on this is slow steady progress and that really comes with blind review. Follow the curriculum through as is and make sure that you don't skip certain parts like the beginning grammar and logic lessons, many people think that they can walk right through them but I can say from experience that those fundamentals will be tested whether or not you realize it. Also I'd recommend getting connected on the webinars and the BR Group to supplement your studying. I realize that being behind a computer can sometimes make studying get a little boring (even though JY always keeps it real light) so supplementing the webinars on certain training section I think provide great value and a little bit of a break from the normal curriculum. Also last point please don't try to compare yourself to anyone else with regards to how fast or slow they made it through the curriculum or if you're killing RC but don't see improvements in LG. Treat the curriculum like you would the game board in LG or the passage in RC. Invest the time so that way when you get to PT's they're not wasted. Id rather you take 10 exams with good BR and get through the curriculum and retain it rather than take 40 tests and speed through the curriculum with crappy BR.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2016 2086 karma
    If I'm not mistaken, the curriculum uses questions from PTs 1-35. So, you'll be drilling, in a sense, 1-35 as you progress through the curriculum. However, do not start PTs 36+ until you complete the curriculum. As was stated above, slow and steady and don't skip anything. If you feel that a lesson is useless, then watch it anyways. You can speed up the video - in any case, all of the lessons are gold.
    I've always viewed PTs as analysis tools. They help me pinpoint what I am having trouble with so I can determine which questions, sections, etc. that I need to drill more.
    BR is just as important, if not more important than actually taking a PT. It'll help you determine whether your issue is timing, or if a certain question type or section is problematic.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Welcome @Belgianwaffles!
    As recommended above, please do not repeat mistakes that I have made - do your due diligence going through the curriculum and do not go on auto-pilot given your previous studies. Once you have gotten through the curriculum and start taking Practice Tests, I hope you will join a BR group or find study partner to be a part of your journey.
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    It not only gives you different ways to approach questions, but it is beneficial to develop a network of people going through the same thing.
    Everyone's personal goals should be respected. In regards to the score fibbers, it would make me incredibly sad if that was the case in this community. It is remarkable and outstanding the time that the Sages (99% scorers) have given back to the community through webinars and their time on the forums. No matter what score band anyone is aiming for, there is always support. Please send me a message if you find this to not be the case.

We are in the midst of a transition for 2016 law school acceptance vs 2017 LSAT test taking admission cycle. I have been a part of 7Sage for more than a year and I am personally invested in all the people that have been instrumental in guiding me and helping me throughout this journey and I cherish their stories of amazing accomplishments.

Given the time and dedication that I can personally devote to the LSAT, a certain score will not define me - only my personal sense of accomplishment that I did everything I could with no regrets will be what I carry with me towards my future.
    All the best:)