PT36.S1.Q23 - it is clear that humans

sunnyp89sunnyp89 Member
edited April 2016 in Logical Reasoning 28 karma
Hi Everyone,
I am having difficulties understanding why Answer E is correct for this LR question.
Can someone please explain this to me?

Admin edit: Removed question. Please don't pull full questions!
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-36-section-1-question-23

Thank you

Comments

• hlsat180hlsat180 Free Trial Member
    edited April 2016 362 karma
    This is an uncommon question type (Explain EXCEPT) that asks you to account for disconnects in the fact set (no argument) presented in the stimulus. Four non-credited answers will contribute something (1%+) toward resolving this disconnect; the one credited answer will contribute nothing.

Answer E discusses "kinds" of lamps (variety/types) while the question asks for an explanation of the skewed distribution (quantity/number). Note tricky LSAT authors placed this credited answer fifth - both to entice the unwary reader and hide this subtle shift - among all the answers.

P.S. Please remove the verbatim question/answers (copyrighted!) and just reference the test/section/question/answer letter
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27828 karma
    Yeah, E hinges on the inclusion of "kinds of." If you take that out and are just left with more lamps, then E would help explain the discrepancy. But we just don't care what kinds of lamps, we care about the number of lamps.

And like @hlsat180 said, no LSAT material allowed in the forum. You'll need to edit your post and replace it with a reference to the PT, section, and question numbers.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @sunnyp89 - the answers above nail it: more "kinds of lamps" does not explain "more lamps"
    And please remove the verbatim question.
    Maybe @"Dillon A. Wright" can help with editing out the copyrighted content. The question is PT36, S1, Q23
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @sunnyp89 said:

Big thing here is except

We will have 4 answers that support the claim (to varying degrees) and one that has nothing to do with it.

A) Supports why the amount of lamps is skewed. Harder to identify explains less lamps found.
    B) Supports why the amount of lamps is skewed. Less sites to dig from explains less lamps found
    C) Supports why the amount of lamps is skewed. More efficient could mean there are more lamps, this to me was a little trickier to eliminate, but it could still explain why more of these types of lamps were found.
    D) Supports why the amount of lamps is skewed. If they used fire pits there was a less of a need for lamps. Less need, less lamps
    E) More kinds of lamps... you could be thinking oh so a larger variety that helps, but it does not. You could still have had 40 lamps from both groups, just the later has 10 purple, 10 red, 10 tall, 10 short... that does not explain why we have found more of the later than the earlier.
  • sunnyp89sunnyp89 Member
    28 karma
    Thanks for the feedback everyone this really helped.
    Sorry @hlsat180 ..my first time posting in the discussion group and was not aware.
    I will make sure to post in the format noted.

thanks again everyone!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    No worries Sunny, I edited your original post so it's not violating anything.

Check out the rules real quick if you can:
    https://7sage.com/discussion#/discussion/15/forum-rules