Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mature Category

LostInLawLawLandLostInLawLawLand Alum Member
in General 34 karma
Awesome course so far! Just a couple of questions:
1. I am a mature student. If my marks from my early school career were less than stellar, should I consider applying in this (mature student) discretionary category?
2. How does taking the LSAT during the December sitting compared with the October sitting affect law school applications?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    For schools that have rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better. So, in that sense, the October test is preferable to Decemeber. Some schools have scholarship/aid deadlines as well so that is something to look into for the schools you are interested in. At the end of the day, though, a higher score is preferable to an earlier application, so I would choose the exam that you will be best prepared for.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @"sunnie_dazie" said:
    1. I am a mature student. If my marks from my early school career were less than stellar, should I consider applying in this (mature student) discretionary category?
    What is this that you're talking about? I'm among the older frequent posters on here and I have never heard of anything like this. I've got a sub 3.0 uGPA from almost 10 years ago, which I hope to overcome with a stellar LSAT score and a slew of good to excellent softs. Is this something that is just at a particular school because I have not seen anything like this on the admissions web sites of any schools to which I'm applying.

As @c.janson35 said, earlier is better in some cases, but higher LSAT is better in all cases. If you don't have a stellar GPA, even if you get a 165+ in October it is more than likely that your app won't even get read until December or January at a lot of schools since they try to evaluate the top candidates first (this is a dirty little open secret about the so called "rolling" admissions that is used by most law schools). Like I tell everyone else, prep for October, take it or don't, and then take in December if need be.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    I'm not going to lie, I read the title and thought you typed this into the wrong website for a sec, LOL!
    8021 karma
    Really hoping OP delivers so I can apply since I'm wicked mature...
  • LostInLawLawLandLostInLawLawLand Alum Member
    34 karma
    Things sure are admittedly "rolling" here. Oh the possibilities of what "X" could represent...
    8021 karma
    Hey you're back! So what did you mean by number one above? Or have you just been trolling us all along?
  • LostInLawLawLandLostInLawLawLand Alum Member
    34 karma
    Up here in the wild Canadian sticks there are some schools with discretionary categories including "mature" for people who have been out of school for 5+ years but who are immature enough to consider a return. It seems that the entrance requirements are a bit more relaxed but with fewer seats. :)
    8021 karma
    Canada... I should have known... oh well!
  • MimilaTorMimilaTor Member
    15 karma
    From what I've learned, mature students are first selected against the whole bunch of applications. If not accepted as "regular", then they are considered in the special category (mature, in this case). They don't say how many spots they have for mature students each, it depends on how many applications will convince them, I guess. So, if this is correct, you should apply as mature, as you will be considered for both. It's what I'm going to do...
  • MimilaTorMimilaTor Member
    15 karma
    @Pacifico, any tips on how the mature student here (aka me) can keep up with all the fresh students that don't need to worry even with their next meal, whereas I need to worry not only with my meal, but also with my children's meal, my job, my house and so on? I used to be a very good student (grades wise), but I just think I won't be able to make it now that I have a completely new reality. Funny thing is. I am a lawyer, back where I am from. I've been to Law School (5 years back there!), passed the "Bar" exam and all. Starting everything again is hard enough, but the LSAT might just be too much. :/
    edited May 2016 8021 karma
    Grades already being locked in the only really major opportunity to level the playing field is a high LSAT score. Take it when you're actually ready, not just when you force yourself to.