Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resolve Paradox Drilling

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in General 3788 karma
Hi guys,

I find myself struggling between two answer choices, the tempting answer choice and the correct answer choice for the more difficult Resolve Paradox questions. I find this to be the case more for difficult Resolve Paradox Except questions. What is a good way to go about drilling this question type? Should I just review the Resolve Paradox questions that I have done and found difficult? What sort of strategies helped you improve accuracy in this question type.

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    I used to have tons of trouble with Resolve questions:

I started to get better at them by changing the way I thought about them/approached the questions themselves. You must accept the truth of the paradox that the question is laying out for you. Think of the ACs as possible explanations that could be inserted in order for you to reread the question and not come away with the same paradox.

For except questions, like other categories of this type, your job is flipped. Now there are 4 possible ACs that could be inserted to resolve the paradox in a reread and you have to identify a piece of useless information.

I'd recommend hitting up the question bank and sorting for Resolve questions
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" Thanks for the response. Could you explain what you mean by accepting the truth of the paradox? From past prep materials, I was informed that we should approach the paradox as if it were flawed, meaning that the paradox exists because of a mistaken perception of the 2 facts that are seen as paradoxical and it is our job consequently to show the paradox actually encompasses 2 views that are compatible.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    When I do resolve question, instead of finding a flaw, I find it the easiest to look for an answer choice that might be a possible cause of the phenomena described in the stimulus. If the answer choice could lead to the paradoxical situation in the stimulus, it is the right answer. I hope that helped.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2016 1650 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast I guess what I'm referring to by "accepting the truth" is the idea that you need to focus on making this paradox "work" by choosing the correct AC which will resolve the paradox. So by accepting it, you're committing to the task of finding a new piece of information (the correct answer) to insert into the currently flawed argument in order to close that particular gap.

The argument's flaw creates this paradox. By understanding that flaw, you'll have a much easier time predicting or even just selecting the correct answer. That could be what your other materials a referencing with their strategy of thinking of RRE questions as a type of flaw question.

Does that help clarify things?
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Yeah thanks @"Ron Swanson" that helped alot :) Thanks for all the answers guys!