Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Section Drilling vs Question Type Drilling

OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
edited June 2018 in Logical Reasoning 2531 karma

I’ve only taken 3 PT’s so I don’t have substantial data about my strong and weak question types for LR.

My average section is -6 timed and -2 BR.

Should I start by doing section drills? How many per day? How should I respond to these drills? (I can study around 5 hours a day)

Comments

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    I’ve only taken 3 PT’s so I don’t have substantial data about my strong and weak question types for LR.

Based on the three PTs you've done so far, is their any recognizable pattern? If there is a question type or two that you've consistently missed, then I would begin by doing some drilling on those types. If not, drilling some sections and then BRing seems like a good step forward.

As for how many to do a day...a good rule of thumb I use is that I don't don't drill a fresh section unless I'm confident that I've addressed some of areas that were problematic for me in the previous section. So, depending on what proportion of your 5hr study time is spent on LR in a day, I'd say drilling a single section, BRing, and, then, addressing errors might be a about right.

That being said, there is also benefit to drilling sections back-to-back to develop that mental endurance that's soooo important. But, if you complete a section, don't rush through your review of that section in order to fit in another.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

I printed out LR qs from PT 40-59 from the curriculum and I was aiming to go through 10 pages a day so I would be done with the whole 300 page print out within 30 days but I havent had time for that. I did go through weaken, flaw, and SA and it's helped me immensely. I start off doing the 1 and 2 star qs, then the 3 star qs, then the 4-5 star qs. I do the questions in sets of 10-12, BR the ones I circled, score, watch the vids for the ones I found difficult.
    You'll find out your weakness after drilling by type. I think solely doing sections is counterproductive. You have to mix in drilling by type on occasion to address weaknesses and to maintain/further strengthen your strengths. Just drill question types at random until you find out what you're consistently getting wrong.
    The other option would be to keep drilling sections, discover your weaknesses, and then drill. I personally didnt really find any consistent weaknesses until I took a few PTs.