Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take the LSAT twice or postpone?

edenmarcu-1edenmarcu-1 Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma
I am taking the June 2016 test and do not feel ready. Does it look bad to take it twice or should I postpone the test until September?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma
    @"edenmarcu-1" said:
    I am taking the June 2016 test and do not feel ready.
    Then why in the world are you still taking it!? Withdraw!
    27853 karma
    To elaborate a little more, lol, I did the same thing. Wasn’t ready and knew it, and I took it anyway. Huge mistake. Wish someone had told me to get out of there.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Don't do it. Are you trying to see how unprepared you truly are? You probably already know. That's never a reason to take the test. You might be dying to have that retake down the line. You never know. Does it look bad to take it twice? Depends on a few things and your situation. For me, I say no. Check with your school or forums for your school and see how they view it.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    1762 karma
    I took it twice and it just conformed how not-ready I was. Despite the fact that I knew I was not ready, when I got my score back I felt even worse. It took me a year to pick myself back up from that ego trip lol. Take it when you're ready.
  • apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma
    Just wondering, for those right on the edge between being prepared and not, isn't there some value in taking the test for the sake of some test day experience?
    1762 karma
    @apublicdisplay said:
    isn't there some value in taking the test for the sake of some test day experience?
    I'd have to say the value of being able to pick myself up from such a disaster and not letting that stop me is worth something. I also know that if I use the bathroom before and during the break, I don't have use the diapers they were talking about in another thread. I know where to park, I know what to eat in the morning and where the class room is, but you can simulate test conditions on your own. Take a day and pretend you're actually going to take the lsat. Go to the test center and take a full timed lsat in the room then go home and grade it. In the end you still have an extra take.

When I took another course I know they offered free practice exams around my area but i've never been to one.
    1762 karma
    I also became more humble and I respect the lsat now. Before I thought I could just take it and be done with it, but now I know that this is a long process and it's in my best interest to not rush it.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @apublicdisplay said:
    for those right on the edge between being prepared and not, isn't there some value in taking the test for the sake of some test day experience?
    I'd say the value of "test day experience" is likely to be less than the value of an extra take left if needed. You can never be 100% sure of how the test will go even if you're perfectly ready. Something unexpected like illness, or a huge test center disturbance, or just a plain old freakout can ruin your test. In that case, it's nice to know that you have two more takes you'll be already prepared for
    27853 karma
    @apublicdisplay said:
    isn't there some value in taking the test for the sake of some test day experience?
    Agree with @runiggyrun . You also want to keep in mind that the pressure increases with each take. The first test is relatively low pressure because you have two more behind you. The second take is much more, and the third is immense. This test puts us under enough pressure as it is and the first take is as good as it gets. Do don’t waste it. To be honest, I didn’t pick up any new “experience” on test day anyway. If you strictly simulate conditions during PT, there is nothing more that happens differently on test day.
  • galantwhiteandbluegalantwhiteandblue Free Trial Member
    edited May 2016 32 karma
    But how do you know if you've reached the ceiling or you simply could use more practice? For the past 2 months I've been steadily hitting my target score I set when I began. But I also wonder maybe after a whole summer of studying I can get an even higher score; alternatively, the fact that I made little progress in the past two months could mean that I've hit a ceiling, that a summer wouldn't help much, and that I should just have a fun summer instead ;)
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    @gaoshunqi anyone who has put in 6+ months of prep for the LSAT will agree with me when I say there's no way that you have hit your score ceiling in only 2 months of PT'ing.

Everyone wants to have a fun LSAT-free summer, believe me, but it's in your best interest to keep pushing through the summer and maximize your LSAT score. It could literally save you an excess of $50,000 - $100,000 in tuition. No fun summer is worth that amount of cash imo.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @gaoshunqi I think "ready" is a subjective term. If you admit to yourself "I don't feel ready", like @"edenmarcu-1" did, then you're probably not ready.
    So, it's probably easier to tell when you're definitely not ready vs. when you're definitely ready and you've hit your ceiling.
    If you are truly happy with your score and the possibilities it opens for you, you can go ahead and take the test. If you feel you've given studying your absolute best shot, you've squeezed everything you possibly could out of the curriculum, PT and BR process, then go ahead and take the test.
    If you just want "to be done with it and have a fun summer" you can certainly do that - mental health is just as important as a fat scholarship, but before you decide, do take a look at your studying for the last two months and make sure you weren't just on autopilot as a result of hitting your original desired score. That could easily cause stalling, and a refocusing of effort could help you bust through the plateau you seem to have hit.
    Best of luck with your decision!
  • galantwhiteandbluegalantwhiteandblue Free Trial Member
    edited May 2016 32 karma
    @runiggyrun @GordonBombay Thanks guys for your insights! I really appreciate them. I should clarify though i've been studying for the past year and two months ago my scores stopped improving. These past two weeks I've tried to implement a lot of changes to the way I study, though not much changed. I br'ed more carefully and revisited my technique books.
    I still don't know. I'll probably take the test in june so no matter what I have a score that I like.

But you know, it's human nature to want the best. Best case scenario, I'd love to go to one of the tops. And I'll most likely have to study and take the test again to get into 175~. Should I take the June anyway? If (and very likely) I don't get a 175~ score, whatever I get will be lowering my future average and thereby my likelihood of getting in one of those schools.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"edenmarcu-1" said:
    I am taking the June 2016 test and do not feel ready.
    Postpone! Postpone! Never take it if you're not feeling ready. Who cares what it "looks like"—this is one of YOUR three takes and you must claim it for your victory! And it's a myth that law schools look down on multiple takes; current word is that Yale is the only one that officially cares and they're fine with 2 as well (they don't like 3).