Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying at Work

halleighhh4halleighhh4 Member
in General 35 karma
I currently work at a law firm as an assistant and have got the go ahead from my boss to study when I am not busy at work (other than my lunch hour).

Most of my free time has been spent researching schools, personal statements, tips, etc. but I'm hoping I can get some studying in as well. I am currently only using 7sage. I have tried to put my headphones in and watch some videos but find I can't absorb anything.

I thought about bringing one of my many LSAT prep books but should I be mixing 7sage and say for instance, Kaplan? Any recommendations for other brands which have similar teaching methods to 7sage?

For those of you who have full-time jobs, do you study while you are at work? Any tips?

I'm planning to write for September 2016. I have 2 jobs so I work about 55 hours a week. I've just started studying 20 hours a week. I've been studying off and on for the last couple years but finally decided to take the plunge and write.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27858 karma
    @halleighhh4 said:
    Any recommendations for other brands which have similar teaching methods to 7sage?
    The LSAT Trainer seems to be the most popular among 7Sagers. Mike Kim, the author, even has an honorary 7Sage title, “The LSAT Trainer.” I haven’t used it, but that seems to be the most compatible.
  • africannarpafricannarp Member
    165 karma
    My personal experience tells me it is not a good idea to work 55+ hours while try to study for the LSAT. (I used to work for a law firm as well.) I did it for three months and left my job. It was not because I did not have enough time to study. I even got my boss to agree to let me study in the morning and catch up with my work during lunch hours. It was just too much to deal with. My job at the time required full attention to details and whatever that was going on at the firm. After spending my energy on LSAT for a couple of hours, I wasn't as sharp as I used to be and it stressed me out just thinking about how my work quality was compromised. That being said, it really depends on how stressful your job is and what your target score is. At the beginning, I think it is not that difficult to study while working long hours. But at one point, you will need to have large chunks of time to do PTs. They drain your mental energy very easily.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    Hi @halleighhh4 !

I've been studying for the LSAT for a little less than a year now, and re-started studying very seriously about a month or two ago (also planning on taking the LSAT in September, if I'm ready). I have a similar schedule at work, and also find myself with some downtown that I can use to study, but also can't really concentrate. I used to study during my lunch breaks, but our lunch room is usually pretty loud and crowded and I realized that whenever I study there, nothing really sticks.
    What I've done is that I review my notes during down-time. As I went along with the 7Sage curriculum I write LOTS of notes and find it beneficial to just read and re-read those while I'm at work. I'm the type of person that just can't concentrate in a work environment, because I get too easily distracted. I usually really study right after work at a nearby library or coffee shop, when I have nothing else to distract me. I found that re-reading my notes from the night before, or re-reading notes with anything I've struggled with helped me refresh my memory and successfully set me up to study for that evening.
    Once I'm done with the curriculum, I'll use the Trainer to supplement anything else I'm struggling with and will go back to all of my notes. I've read the Trainer before and found it very, very helpful.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    I'm currently studying at work. I use flash cards. I've been watching webinars so I take notes that night and have the flash cards out on my desk the next day. I also have flash cards of the invalid and valid arguments and also some flaw types. Make flash cards with some and most and see if you can come up with inferences. If you've been given permission it shouldn't be hard to do a few LG a day at your desk and also BR some LR. And as mentioned above, The LSAT Trainer is good. You could read at your desk. It's an easy read, IMO.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @halleighhh4 7Sage also has a blog (and transcriptions under most of the videos) that say basically the same things as the video lessons and you can read them instead.
  • Cackie JhilesCackie Jhiles Alum Member
    88 karma
    I use my time at work to review my notes and listen to the webinars.
  • halleighhh4halleighhh4 Member
    35 karma
    Thank you @africannarp, @jennilynn89, @tanes256, @BruiserWoods and @"Habeus Scoreplus" for the advice!

Really like the idea of reviewing notes. Will also look in to the webinars!
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @halleighhh4 said:
    Kaplan
    No, never, not even once.

If you're looking for a book go with the LSAT Trainer as others have said.
    @jennilynn89 said:
    As I went along with the 7Sage curriculum I write LOTS of notes and find it beneficial to just read and re-read those while I'm at work
    This is a good idea!

@halleighhh4 said:
    Will also look in to the webinars!
    Webinars are a chill way to absorb info/pro-tips without requiring TOO much focus :)
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    1762 karma
    My job is pretty laid back, they let me br at work and drill some games. Sometimes I go over specific kinds or lr questions. I also ponder questions that stump me.
  • halleighhh4halleighhh4 Member
    35 karma
    Thank you @"Nicole Hopkins"!!!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I wish I could do that!