Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not Improving. Started at 144 and still at 150 after 4 months of studying.

manjotkbalmanjotkbal Member
in General 30 karma

How can I improve? Please help or if anyone has a tutor that they can suggest!

Comments

• NamritaktNamritakt Member
    175 karma

Hey! I don't have much advice, but just know that 6 points is a big deal! Something I have been hearing a lot is that progress is not linear, and its true. Definitely think of adjusting your study strategy by reflecting on what is working and what is not, but know that with enough time and dedication you will see results. Good luck!!

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

When I had been studying for 4 months I had only improved an average of 6 points as well. After 11 months, that had jumped to 20. Keep it up!

• manjotkbalmanjotkbal Member
    30 karma

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I will continue working on things that are problematic for me. How do you guys get over the initial confusion when you look at the question. I feel that when I do the questions in blind review, I'm able to think much more clearly and get many more questions right in timed Practice Tests.

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4577 karma

@manjotkbal said:
    Thanks everyone for the kind words! I will continue working on things that are problematic for me. How do you guys get over the initial confusion when you look at the question. I feel that when I do the questions in blind review, I'm able to think much more clearly and get many more questions right in timed Practice Tests.

This used to be a huge problem for me. What I used to think when I was starting out was that I needed to rush through the stimulus so I could have time to get to all of the questions in time. For me this was not a good approach.

My score started increasing when I realized that I needed to move slower to absorb and understand what was happening in the stimulus. The phrase "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is very applicable when taking the LSAT. Reading for understanding and taking time to engage with the argument is key to getting the right answer choice. It might sound like common sense, but I found that I didn't do this at first when I was pressured for time. When I started to apply this strategy however, my fear was that I'd spend too much time on individual questions, but that ended up not being the case. I was much more confident in my understanding of the stimulus and was able to pick questions faster and my time didn't suffer. It actually improved! It was a win-win!

Also - I think Sami is a great tutor. I started with her around the low 160s and now I'm in the low 170s. She's on the 7sage list of approved tutors forum.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• avoro002avoro002 Alum Member
    336 karma

@Christopherr hey, how long did it take you to improve from where you were to now with the help of a tutor? I just started studying with Sami too and I don't have much time before she starts her 1L this fall.

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4577 karma

@avoro002

Hey! I started with Sami last November. But I would say that my case is different because I was also working a job that required about 50hrs/week so I definitely was not able to focus full time in studying for the LSAT. You will get results much more quickly if you are able to study full time while tutoring with her.

• avoro002avoro002 Alum Member
    336 karma

@Christopherr thank you so much for your reply! I am scheduled for Aug test but will be probably taking Oct too and I am studying full time now. Hopefully, with her help I could improve by then. It's too bad (for me of course) she's starting school soon and I won't be able to study with her longer than that, but I am happy I've found her even if it's for a short time.

• sebramirezsebramirez Member
    101 karma

I would not do timed tests. It's not helpful until you have a solid grasp on the materials. Do untimed tests and take your time. Spend time making sure you understand the fundamentals! Do the drills too--you'll start to see the patterns.

• manjotkbalmanjotkbal Member
    30 karma

Thank you for all the advice everyone! I think the untimed tests will likely help as well as focusing on the stimulus more.