Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a lawyer have a visible tattoo?

danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
in General 200 karma
Is this allowed in court? What if it's a small wrist tattoo?

Comments

• edited May 2016 342 karma
    I currently work with plenty of lawyers that have tattoos. One of my jobs defense attorneys has a tattoo of a leaf on her wrist. So I am assuming because of that it is ok, I live in Texas. It could be different in other parts of the country... but you know Texas is a little more overly conservative than other places... so I bet it is ok... plus if it is that big of an issue you can always cover it.
  • ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    I would say that the answer largely depends on the subject and size of the wrist tattoo, and more importantly, what type of law you would like to pursue. Based on your initial post, it seems like you're interested in litigation or criminal defense. A small wrist tattoo is not something that would be prohibited by any judge or court, but your only real concern would be its impact on some potential clients, who may see tattoos as an indication of poor judgement. As long as its not obscene, I don't think it will be an issue with most people today, especially those from younger generations. However, it is the type of thing I would try to conceal if I were interviewing at a more conservative "BigLaw" firm, like making sure I'm not wearing my VV tie with donkeys on it - it's just a precaution.
  • apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma
    No, you can’t tarnish the great and venerable sanctity of the profession.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    It depends on the firm. If you're thinking about getting one, don't. If you've got one, don't get any more. Stick to non-visible tattoos from now on.
    4344 karma
    Some judges might also not appreciate it but that's what long-sleeved suit coats are for ;)
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited May 2016 893 karma
    Guess this was just a jokester thread. Why waste people's time??
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    200 karma
    Lolz you guys are funny. My brother in law is a HLS grad and practicing corporate lawyer and has full sleeve tattoos and front/ back. He doesn't go to court though and a long sleeve shirt covers them all.
    4344 karma
    @danilphillips said:
    Lolz you guys are funny. My brother in law is a HLS grad and practicing corporate lawyer and has full sleeve tattoos and front/ back. He doesn't go to court though and a long sleeve shirt covers them all.
    So ... Why make the thread/pose the question if you already have your answer? ;)
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    What about small spacers? 0 gauges, I'm rather attached to them, I've had them almost 10 years
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    This whole thread made me think of My Cousin Vinny lol

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    What Nicole said! I interned for one firm, and had the pleasure of watching attorneys work at another. For the former, tattoos were fine. Two of the attorneys had visible tattoos (one on her leg, and the other his wrist). Both were constantly in court.
    At the second firm, tattoos were a big "no." Only one attorney there admitted to having a tattoo, and no one ever saw it.

As a rule of thumb, if you must get a tattoo, make sure it can be covered up with whatever attire you will be wearing to work and court.
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    edited May 2016 200 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" because he doesn't go to court, as I said AND he does not have a visible wrist tattoo. I am concerned with small visible tattoos that may not be covered by a jacket. I mentioned my brother in law because there are some people who seem to think that you can't have ANY tattoos, which is funny. @"Chipster Study" - not a joke thread at all. I mentioned a specific kind of small, visible tattoo, then gave an example of someone who had different kinds of tattoos. My original question is still one I wanted an answer to- are we or are we not studying for the LSAT! LOLZ! I appreciate all your answers.
  • Admiral YummyAdmiral Yummy Member
    116 karma
    Well, what about neck tattoos? Are they allowed?
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    to tattoo or to not tattoo is not a simple answer. you can have tattoos in virtually any profession. unfortunately, due to gendered standards of dress, women have it worse than men because they are less likely to have formal clothes to cover the majority of their body.

i feel like if you have tattoos and you're one of those people who is a.. "tool" then regardless of whether or not you have tattoos people will not respect you. if you have them and are a hard worker, intelligent, ethical, well-mannered etc, you can be successful in the legal profession whether as a lawyer, academic, judge etc.