Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Good books about Applications and Admissions? - 7Sage Forum

Good books about Applications and Admissions?

Cayenne43Cayenne43 Alum Member
in General 195 karma
I am looking for good books on applying to law school, specifically a book that discusses the whole process from writing your personal statement to getting LORs to hitting submit. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27884 karma
    "The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions” by Anna Ivey is really good. She’s a former dean of admissions at Chicago Law. She’s really blunt and straight forward which I really appreciated.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14173 karma
    We have a great admissions product here at 7Sage:
    https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions/
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Just save your money and go read Spivey's entire ~200 page thread on TLS... That's where I got the vast majority of my thousands of dollar's worth of useful information.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27884 karma
    There is a lot to be said for having access to a qualified third party to look at what you’re doing with your applications. For most schools, you will never meet admissions face to face so your application is your entire representation to the school. Not only can you increase your odds of getting an acceptance, but for me the more important thing is the potential for increased scholarship offerings. Obviously something like a $90,000 scholarship offer makes the price of most of these types of services look pretty reasonable. These admissions services are of course neither sufficient nor necessary, but with the kind of cash on the line we are competing for, it seems like an obvious investment for anyone who can swing it.
  • AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
    236 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Spivey's entire ~200 page thread on TLS
    As a person unfamiliar with TLS, I tried looking for this but couldn't find it. Mind posting the link please?
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7317 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I agree—Anna Ivey's book is excellent. I consulted it as I created 7Sage's course.

@DeeJayGee, I also drew on my experience as a writer and editor for the 7Sage admission product. Ivey's book gives a big-picture overview of what works and what doesn't for the essays. I tried to break it down into steps: here's how you choose a topic; here's how you structure your outline; here's how you revise it; here's how you proofread it.

Check it out! https://7sage.com/enroll-admissions/
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Pretty much agree with @Pacifico. Most of what you need to know, you can learn by using this forum, TLS, and listening to free webinars with admissions consultants.

Here's the TLS Spivey thread:
    http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    The @PrelawGuru has some great items on her website too.
  • Cayenne43Cayenne43 Alum Member
    195 karma
    Thanks for the suggestions!