[redacted]

crazyloedcrazyloed Alum Member
edited August 2020 in General 105 karma
[redacted]

Comments

• 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    I was stuck in the same plateau as you... Drill question sets in logical reasoning in areas where you struggle with or miss a lot of level 1-4 questions. Get to the point where level 1-3 at least are near guaranteed points. Then you will make your jump from 161 to 165-166 range
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    For RC, which looks like your fundamentally weakest section even under untimed conditions, it might be beneficial for you to do a thorough "unblinded" review after (not instead of) your BR.
    After you find out which answers are right, go through the questions again and figure out why the wrong answer is wrong and what was your reason to pick it. Watch JY's explanation, participate in a BR session, ask around the forums, until you understand where these errors are coming from. Write them down if need be and go back to your notes often (for instance write "I picked A because line 12 made me think blah blah, but A is wrong because the line doesn't actually say blah blah, but instead it says bleah bleah and I missed that detail").
    Look for patterns of errors and try to eliminate them. It's hard to get everything right under time pressure, but if you're still getting ~10 wrong in BR that means you're falling for some traps - and there aren't THAT many kinds of traps that you can't begin to recognize and eliminate them.
    For LR, just to further clarify @7sagelsatstudent180's suggestion as it relates to what you appear to be doing now - don't just drill the questions you missed - drill questions of the TYPE you're missing, in chunks of 5-10 of the same type, preferably containing questions you haven't seen before (you can use PTs 1-36 for this).
    Good luck!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Are you doing clean copy BR?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    If you've plateaued, then you've got to change how you're studying. Don't worry as much about what you need to study. Worry about how you're studying it. The 160s plateau is brutal and you've really got to employ some high level study strategies to push any further.

I second everything mentioned above. Specifically, clean copy BR and writing out your reasoning. When you're doing BR, take as much time as you need. Better 1 effective BR a week than 4 shitty ones. Don't select or eliminate any answer choice until you really do feel like you've got it. The point is not to get right answers during BR, it is to achieve understanding. When you've done this, the correct answers will follow with confidence.
  • 1danlynch1danlynch Member
    51 karma
    Hey! I'm basically in the same position as you, but I am just starting to see some improvement. I was scoring mostly 159 or 160 on the past few PTs I was taking, but BRing at around 168. When I watched the video of a high scorer taking the test, I realized that she skipped questions she wasn't completely comfortable with, and came back to them after clearing out the other questions. JY gave this same advice, but something clicked when I saw somebody else do it. Personally, when I was previously taking the PTs, I would try to be 100% confident in my answer until moving onto the next, which is AWFUL!!!! Once I tried to get through the section while skipping, and then going back after with a new set of eyes my score jumped to like a 163 for that specific PT. Not sure if you are doing this already, but it definitely helped me.
  • crazyloedcrazyloed Alum Member
    105 karma
    I have been doing clean copy BR. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will implement them this time around. One final question is so after i finish BR how many days should I grind LR question types, Games that I am not confident with, and reading comprehension sections? Should I give the equal amount of time or try focusing on my weakest section? @runiggyrun @"Cant Get Right" @Pacifico

Also where is this video you watched of someone skipping questions @1danlynch
  • 1danlynch1danlynch Member
    51 karma
    @crazydeol It's under PT 37, there are like 6 or 7 "Live Commentary" videos
    8021 karma
    If you're missing more than 5 per LR section I think you have some issues with your fundamentals and I would take some time to go back through the logic lessons as well as any question types that you really struggle with based on the analytics.
    8021 karma
    Also for the next time you PT I would shoot for 25 in 25 to practice skipping and returning to questions more effectively.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    For games, if you follow the Foolproof method you'll probably be drilling a section or so almost every day.
    For RC, you have to maximize what you get out of the tests you've done, because there's a limited number of RC sections in the "old" PT's, so you risk running out quickly. Unlike LG, where you improve by repetition, once you've done a passage a couple of times you'll just remember the answers, so the value of repeatedly drilling the same passages is limited. Focus on really understanding the answers on your PT's and use the drills to try out different underlining techniques and timing strategies.
    For LR, @Pacifico is right - you might want to go over the relevant part of the curriculum again for the types of questions you are missing repeatedly and then drill a handful of questions (5-10?). Rinse and repeat as needed.
    There isn't a set number of days you have to drill - it's a continuous process: PT, BR, watch explanations, identify weak areas based on the analyticals, revisit/drill those, PT, BR etc.