Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working and Studying

laestelle2009laestelle2009 Alum Member
edited July 2014 in General 96 karma
retaking LSAT in September, last time i took the test i was not prepared (3 months was not long enough)
anyways i'm looking for those who have studied for this test and worked simultaneously to give me some suggestions on how to handle a schedule that will not overwhelm me and keep studying fun and creative.

im open to ALL suggestions! Please HELP!

Comments

• Anthony LAnthony L Alum Member
    53 karma
    I get to work about an hour early to study at my desk. I frequently study at night as well.
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    I also work full time and am writing in September (though in my case, for the first time). My strategy is to study on the weekends (PTs on both Saturday and Sunday mornings; blind review in the afternoon) and to study in my office for a couple of hours after work. I find it almost impossible to study at home in the evenings; there are just too many distractions! I also sometimes study over my lunch break, though I'm not too fussed if I don't -- I see this as extra credit, not as part of my regularly scheduled study time. I'm also taking two weeks off between now and the September administration, which I plan to use as an LSAT bootcamp of sorts.

Hope this helps!
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I tried to do this. Personally, it didn't work for me.. (See my discussion thread). In fact, my last day at the firm is tomorrow. Anyhow, I wish you all good luck!
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    I work full time (I'll be +6 years out of undergrad for my application cycle) and I spend almost every moment of free-time studying. Every other week I go out to comedy night with friends so I don't lose touch. Also, comedy is strangely logical in that it plays on expectations.... eh, unrelated.

To study, I spend all weekend taking PTs and BR late Sunday or during the week depending on how many PTs I can fit in (usually 2 but sometimes 3). During the week, I do timed games sections (my weakest) and drill on flaw questions (my weakest LR type). Tonight, a weeknight, I took a PT that I meant to do this past weekend. No problem, just up a little late.

My average is steadily increasing (high 160s now, aiming 170+ by Sept.). After PTs, I write out a prediction of how I did in each section to look at after BR and scoring. Helps me figure out where my own perceptions are distorted... so I don't go crazy imagining weaknesses that don't exist.

I plan to take a few days off the week of my test for a sprint to the finish. I'm noticing when I do several PTs in a short period of time, my later scores are better, so I'm not worried about burn-out. YMMV.

My boss let's me do half days 2 or 3 times a month to do a PT in the morning, then come in at lunch for the rest of the day. Thank heaven for a supportive boss.

TL;DR Yes, us 9-5ers can improve and do well in September, provided we started early enough and our PTs are where we want them to be by mid Sept.

Good luck!
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    I work M-F 9-5 and once I get home I study from 7pm-9:30pm I also take two days off from studying such as wednesdays and Friday just so that my mind can relax and not feel overwhelmed. Also on Sat and Sun I study 4-5 hours and review what I've studied throughout the week, I'll be done with the course next week and then I will take 2 PT /blind review each week and also go back through the course to review certain lessons.