Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plateauing

mes08mes08 Alum Member
edited July 2014 in General 578 karma
Hi all,

I've been studying for the LSAT rigorously since about mid-March. My diagnostic test was a 154 and since then I've gotten up to the low 160s, but I've completely plateaued in the last several weeks. I can't seem to ever get above a 165, which is really disheartening. Any advice on how to overcome the plateau/pessimism I'm feeling at the moment would be immensely appreciated.

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2014 3438 karma
    I had the same problem when I gave the test in December... my guess would be (and this is based on my own situation) that one of your suits i.e. games, LR, or RC is weaker than the rest... what you would need to do is to maintain practice in the others but for a few days, say 4-5 stop solving tests and work on what is your weak link... for me it was games and I could not do this then but the ideal thing to do would have been make a mental resolve that I was not going to have any problems after day 4.5 on games and start working on it and try to get every diagram, every inference etc. - working 8 - 10 hours a day - from what I hear, that helps... try it and see if it works for you... of course if this is not your problem and it is an even spread that is keeping your score at a plateau, then the solution would be something else.
  • raytranrraytranr Alum Member
    105 karma
    Not sure how frequently you are studying - but consider taking a "productive break." Sometimes, you just have to let things digest appropriately. Consider taking a week off where you read (increase your reading speed, always helpful), work on law school admissions stuff (like your personal statement, rec letters, school research, etc - keeps you motivated), review (old drills, tests, mistakes, materials, concepts), and visit your social life briefly.

It took a lot for me to be willing to give myself a break - but a break doesn't automatically mean being lazy and unproductive. You can get a lot of the little things out of the way and re-motivate yourself and rest...which can help you see the test again in a different light (the difference between solving a problem when tired, and solving it after getting a great night's rest). You can also take care of the little things that get in the way when you are studying (errands, emails, movies and shows you wanted to watch, etc) so when you finally get back on the grind, nothing is there in your way.

If a need for a break isn't the issue, consider a very good study buddy or a tutor to really chat with to get into the specifics of what's in your way.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    edited August 2014 578 karma
    Both of you, thanks for the advice. I think a tutor would be helpful, so if you have any specific recommendations, raytranr, that'd be great!
  • raytranrraytranr Alum Member
    105 karma
    I just messaged you with a bit more detail, but I highly recommend Jonathan from 7sage. He might be busier now that the September date is creeping closer - but if you are looking for a tutor, you should bite, scratch, and claw for him. A good two hour session might be enough to help trigger you through your plateau.
  • chase62442chase62442 Alum Member
    79 karma
    Something that helped me was to take a PT every day for a few days. For me, a big problem was feeling anxious that I had to get all the questions right (which I definitely wasn't). By taking the PTs more often, they stopped each feeling like a BIG DEAL. I only did this for four days, and since then have taken one every other day or so, and it has helped so far.

Hard to know if the answer is more studying or less, like raytranr said.

Also you should recognize that going from a 154 to a 165 is really great. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    310 karma
    yeah it's typically due to one section.

I'm at a point where LR and LG are going very very very well for me but RC is not. I'm missing more on RC than I usually do, so I will have to drill it more from now on. I'm content missing 4-5 questions on RC but now im missing more than my average on this section