===

MaxineSPMaxineSP Alum Member
edited December 2016 in General 83 karma
====

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Was your June LSAT score above the school's LSAT median, at, or above the 75th percentile? If you're retaking I'm going to assume the answer is no. I would only apply ED to a school that is my top choice and I'm certain I will reject other schools that may accept me even if they give me more $$$
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    To answer your second question, absolutely not. Applying ED doesn't guarantee you will be accepted, it just assures the school if they accept you the rest of the schools you applied can no longer consider you. Having said that you should still apply anywhere else you'd like even if they aren't ED. It's a tough call to apply ED imo especially considering other schools could give you a larger scholarship. The school you're applying to has to be your top choice for a reason. Do you think they're clinics and externship are better than other schools you're applying? Rank? Location of where you want to practice? All must be thought through thoroughly.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2016 27822 karma
    This looks like a great question for the upcoming Admissions webinar:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/7957/admissions-overview-webinar-weds-7-20-at-9-p-m-est

I’d also be curious to see what David has to say about this.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I'm not at home so I don't have the link but there is a yearly update on to ED or not to ED out there that is really quite good. If it isn't NU or somewhere else that guarantees a large scholarship then you're basically just signing away your rights to scholarship negotiation. And at only a few schools does it actually give a boost so if your target isn't on there I would not waste your time. If it is then just go for it because even if you get bumped it can really help with RD admissions.
  • ask.1214ask.1214 Free Trial Member
    34 karma
    @Pacifico Can you please share which schools boost chances of admittance for applying ED?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Found it^
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7285 karma
    Thanks for that link, @Pacifico.

As Daniel Plainview himself wrote, I'd take the data on the Admissions by the Numbers post with a grain of salt. I suppose it's possible that some schools penalize you for applying ED, but you've got to think about it as if it's an LSAT problem. Why would people who apply ED have lower rates of admissions than people who apply RD? Maybe because the pool of people who apply ED is weaker. After all, you probably don't apply ED if you know you're going to have a lot of options, whereas lots of people apply ED to compensate for low scores.

It's very possible that ED won't give you a boost for many schools, but ask yourself: is that really a problem? Presumably you're applying ED to a school you'd really want to go to. So if it doesn't give you a boost and you don't get in, you're free. If it gives you a boost and you get in, it was a good decision. I'd only hold off ED if you think there's a good chance you'll be accepted—or offered more money—by a school you want to attend.