juuyuu95juuyuu95 Member
edited September 2017 in General 130 karma

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    This is a very unique situation and question. Would it be possible to attend the webinar by David at 9pm EST? He's taking questions at the end of the webinar.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma
    It's true that your transcript may be more attractive if you take four more high-level classes, as opposed to a hodge-podge of intro-level classes, but your GPA and LSAT score matter a lot more than your list of classes. You can explain your decision to switch to a general business studies major in an addendum. Consider also that you may end up with a lower GPA if you complete your studies in Canada (especially if your rehabilation interferes with your studies), which would mitigate the advantage of a more rigorous class load.

Have you tried calling the registrar of your college to see if they might make an exception for you, and let you major in accounting even if you stay in Korea?

Either way, I think you should do what's best for your health and stay in Korea.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    So generally, it’s my understanding that none of those factors really matter. For better or worse, your undergraduate academic career really will be reduced to your GPA. A 4.0 from a clowning University (assuming it’s accredited) is better than a 3.2 with a degree in a STEM field from a highly respected program. If that seems way oversimplified, it’s because it totally is. So take care of yourself and ace those online courses.

Hope the surgery goes well and that you have a relatively speedy recovery!
  • juuyuu95juuyuu95 Member
    130 karma
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will check to see if my school can somehow let me pursue accounting online. If not, I will most likely stay and take care of myself, and write an addendum to explain my circumstances. It's certainly relieving to hear that GPA is more of relevance than the courses themselves. Thanks again, and happy studying!
  • mike2533mike2533 Alum Member
    edited July 2016 39 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    A 4.0 from a clowning University (assuming it’s accredited) is better than a 3.2 with a degree in a STEM field from a highly respected program.
    I'd like to argue that this is not true as I have spoken with admissions personnel who have mentioned that they look at each school differently. If a 3.2 GPA from MIT is in the 95th+ percentile of his or her graduating class and a 3.9 GPA from a community college is in the 75th percentile, those two will be taken into consideration differently. The person with the mediocre GPA with a STEM background is highly likely to be accepted in that scenario (given a solid LSAT score).
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" are you sure about that GPA scenario? I'm inclined to agree with @Mike2494.
    27823 karma
    They’ll take it into consideration for sure @Mike2494 . But I’d still bet that if only one of the two get in, it’ll be the 4.0 all other things equal.
    27823 karma
    I hope I’m mistaken, lol. I’m certainly not advocating for that. That’s just my understanding.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    That’s just my understanding.
    Same.

I think they take it into consideration insofar as they're impressed and you look good. But at the end of the day - average GPA is what they get ranked on, and, in turn, what they usually put the most emphasis on.
    11542 karma
    Sigh.
    edited July 2016 27823 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    average GPA is what they get ranked on
    Yep. USN&WR doesn’t care, so even if programs would prefer to give more weight to certain backgrounds/schools, the instances in which they do are exceptions to the rule because making exceptions hurts the numbers which lowers the rankings. Yale isn’t ranked #1 because it gets the best students, it’s ranked #1 because it gets the students with the best stats.

Plus, you know the clown is going to have an absolutely incredible PS. You’ll laugh; you’ll cry; and you’ll end by laughing about what made you cry: That’s the power of a degree in clowning.
  • kazrahkazrah Alum Member
    158 karma
    You might be putting too much emphasis on the words that will be on your degree. We hear way too much about law school being just a "numbers game", and there is good reason for it. Rankings are everything to a law school, and huge factors that play into a law school's ranking are their incoming class's average GPA and LSAT; they will likely favor applicants with higher numbers with few exceptions. I majored in two different engineering fields and ended up with a not very competitive GPA, and I know that someone with the same LSAT score who majored in something easy at a grade inflated school will have a huge advantage over me in the application process.

Overall, as long as you have good numbers, you will be competitive at the schools you're aiming at, regardless of what major your diploma will say. Put your health first, good luck with the surgery, and good luck with applying!
  • ay_fegetaboutitay_fegetaboutit Alum Member
    116 karma
    @Mike2494 said:
    I'd like to argue that this is not true as I have spoken with admissions personnel who have mentioned that they look at each school differently. If a 3.2 GPA from MIT is in the 95th+ percentile of his or her graduating class and a 3.9 GPA from a community college is in the 75th percentile, those two will be taken into consideration differently. The person with the mediocre GPA with a STEM background is highly likely to be accepted in that scenario (given a solid LSAT score).
    This is a dangerous misconception and admissions officers are lying to you for PR. A 3.8 from clown college is generally more valuable outside of Y/S than a 3.7 at MIT (assuming equal LSAT). Also, re STEM vs. knitting-- unless USNWR comes out with a category for this in the next year that affects rankings, consider it almost entirely irrelevant
    11542 karma
    Plus, you know the clown is going to have an absolutely incredible PS. You’ll laugh; you’ll cry; and you’ll end by laughing about what made you cry: That’s the power of a degree in clowning
    @"Cant Get Right" LMAOOOO...I'm done
  • leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    edited July 2016 218 karma
    If I was in your position, I would consider if going to Law School next year (2017 cycle) is the only thing you want to do. I mean after your surgery (I hope it goes absolutely perfect and you come out wonderful), doing online courses right away isn't the most positive thing you can do (I guess it could be something you can do while you recover from surgery).

I guess what I'm saying is:

Have you written your LSAT already? If this is the case, I recommend you receiving the general degree and apply to those schools. Assuming you have a reasonable LSAT and GPA (for those schools listed), I personally don't think the general business degree and an accounting degree would have much difference (apply for 2017).

If you haven't written your LSAT, why not study for the LSAT while you recover? Come back to Canada, and finish the accounting degree. Write the LSAT, and apply for the year after (2018 instead of 2017).

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma
    Hey everyone,

I think we lost track of the question. The issue isn't whether a 3.9 from MIT is more impressive than a 3.9 from Clown University (it is), or whether a 3.9 with a STEM major is more impressive than a 3.9 with a theater major (yep). The question is whether @"kon-peki" should test his health for the sake of an accounting major over business, given that the accounting major would require a few more advanced classes.

I myself don't think it's worth it.