Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is the most common type of Grouping Game? - 7Sage Forum

What is the most common type of Grouping Game?

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
in Logic Games 652 karma
Define, undefined, or partially defined

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27884 karma
    Is that Powerscore terminology? I can’t entirely remember what those terms mean, but I’m guessing it has something to do with distribution? For me it was a lot more productive to learn how all grouping games are inherently similar rather than how they differ in their details. Trying to learn a system to identify the endless variations was completely overwhelming for me. Once you really learn Games, you kind of realize they’re all the exact same thing. Looking back on it, I’m really confused as to why there’s such a big deal made about classification within grouping.

As far as your question, I’d guess maybe partially defined? I honestly don’t even think about it like that when I’m gaming though, so that really is a total guess, lol.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2016 23929 karma
    @combsni

So, I did some research on your question and in my Manhattan Prep Logic Games 4th Edition (2016 version) it lists the game frequencies as such:

Grouping:
    Open Conditional Grouping: 8%
    Closed Conditional Grouping: 4%
    Basic Grouping: 9%
    Open Grouping : 2%
    3D Grouping 2%

So to translate that into Powerscore terminology it would roughly equate to this:

Partially Defined-moving 2%
    Grouping Defined-fixed 9%
    Grouping Partially Defined 8%
    Grouping Defined 4%
    Note Powerscore doesn’t have a separate 3D grouping category, but that would be the remaining 2%
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27884 karma
    Woah was I wrong, haha!
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Interesting , they mix it up quite a bit.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2016 23929 karma
    @combsni That they do! It looks like the 3D/hybrid or grouping/linear are pretty rare at only 2% of games. Looks like the defined fixed are the most common. One thing to note is that I believe these calculations are based off of every game from PT 1- 70 something. So it may be that on modern tests the frequency has changed a bit.