Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recording

Ballon d'OrBallon d'Or Alum Member
in General 61 karma
I want to videotape myself taking PTs to get a better sense of my test taking strategy.
How do you guys do it?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    You will need to have a birds eye view tripod or selfie stick(?) of the PT and that's pretty much it. Obvious note is to make sure the lighting is good lol
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Ballon d'Or" I was thinking of doing this myself when I begin PT'ing. I was going to use my GoPro (or whatever camera) and a cheap flexible gorilla pod. @montaha.rizeq is right that good lighting will be important. I'm sure as long as you have a decent camera, you can rig something up fairly cheap.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2016 7468 karma
    You can use your iPhone. That’s what I use. I’ve found this clamp works really well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0126JQ9G6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Good light = even light. In other words, you don’t want to use one strong source of light because it creates a shadow. The most ideal is right in front of a window where the sun isn’t directly shining in. Best of luck, recording yourself gives you so much more data than just whether or not you got the question wrong/right.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    I’ve got a great setup. Wish I could figure out how to post a picture of it. I’ve got my desk and on both sides, matching bar stools on top of matching coffee tables so the heights are exact. Could use books to level it out I guess. I laid a board across the stools and put my phone on the board with the camera peeking over the side. This way there is no wobble that you get from the sticks, and the shot has no tilt shift, it is perfectly perpendicular to the desk. It’s also helpful to use some masking tape to mark where the frame is on the desk so you don’t stray outside. For an iPhone, you want the camera about 2 feet above the desk for a frame large enough to work in comfortably but small enough that you can still read the test in the video. Setting up in front of a window is the easiest solution for good lighting.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor I am ordering that iPhone set up. Only 12 bucks and it sounds a heck of a lot cheaper than the GoPro set up, and probably works better to be honest. Thank you!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2016 7468 karma
    @"Alex Divine" My pleasure. Happy to help. I’ve been away for a while, but I see you’ve really been helpful the past few weeks. Keep it up!

Oh and be sure to erase (from both the video folder and recently deleted folder) the videos before you record another test. I can’t tell how many times I’ve pressed record, done the test, only to find out that the recording stopped after 5 minutes because the memory filled up.
  • Ballon d'OrBallon d'Or Alum Member
    61 karma
    Thanks guys!
  • ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    Here's my setup:
    -GoPro Hero4 Session
    -SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB microSD (Don't skimp on the SD if you go the GoPro route, only get one of the recommended SD cards by GoPro.)
    -Desktop Boom Mic Stand
    -GoPro Tripod Mount
    -Thread Adapter Mic-Tripod
    Setup:
    Screenshot from footage:

As someone who is constantly reminded by their phone about a lack of available memory, freeing up a couple gig every time I want to record a PT was going to be difficult. This setup might be a bit over the top, but I knew if I tried to DIY the mount it would end up a bit messier, and would therefore be a distraction whenever I was taking a PT. I also ended up just getting a folding-leg table to use exclusively for PTs, I didn't like taking them on "normal" desks, I like everything LSAT related to be dedicated-use only.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @ethan.ames said:
    Here's my setup:
    Wow. Go big or go home lol. Nice.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @ethan.ames Jeez, way to make the rest of us look bad, haha!
    I haven't recorded any of my PT sessions. However, if I ever decide to, I'll likely set up my laptop on a stand, angle the screen downward, and use the webcam.
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    OMG @DumbHollywoodActor thank you for the link! Ive been recording myself for a while now but this is revolutionary lol :)
  • ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    @montaha.rizeq
    Thank you! haha
    @MrSamIam
    I started recording last month when I started prepping for my Sept. retake, I didn't do it at all before then. So far it's been very helpful!
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    I have no suggestions to add. I was just too tickled reading @"Cant Get Right" setup. LOL, too funny! I bet the visual in my head is a bit exaggerated though! @MrSamIam comes in 2nd. This is what I would do if the hinges on my laptop weren't broken :( . I'm trying to hold out until I'm enrolled before purchasing a new one.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    Dream away @tanes256 . It can be as elaborate as you want it to be and more.
  • partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma
    Record yourself while taking a test? Interesting. Why do it though? What benefits have you all seen from it?