Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recording yourself

practicethepausepracticethepause Alum Member
edited June 2017 in General 111 karma

I've been reading some posts and some people are saying that they're recording themselves taking PTs. How does that work? I know this may sound like a silly question but do you just record your face or your hands? (if hands, what kind of device do you need to do that?)

Thank you all so much in advance. I'm always so appreciative of all of your comments and advice!

Comments

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

I have a giant stack of books on my desk that I put in front of the test that I'll be working on. I have an Ipad case where the screen swivels all the way around so the Ipad can face downward at my hands, with the Ipad resting on top of the stack of books. I put tape on my desk to mark the limits of the Ipad screen (so I'm not writing off what the screen can show, for example). Then I just record my prep tests as usual. When I go back and watch them, I watch them twice - once with a stopwatch to see how long I take on each question, and once for general observations. Then I drill based on the questions I took the longest on.

I've also heard of people making elaborate contraptions with selfie sticks and their phones, taping things to their ceilings, running a wooden board between two stacks of books and propping their phones on that, etc; all of which I'm sure are successful as well. It usually takes a bit of improvisation/mistake-making at first to see what works best.

Helpful hint: Make sure you have enough space on your phone/device to record.

• draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma

I recorded the workbook from a side angle. The most important thing to capture for me was what I was identifying as important and how quickly I was going through each question during timed conditions. I wanted to quickly identify underconfidence issues if I took too long on an easy question and other errors.

I used the following device:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK70KUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought this device was pretty easy to use and I just clipped my phone on after making sure I had enough space in my phone to record the 35 minute session per section.

I found a great deal of value in watching myself. Wishing you the best.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I use the avantree cell phone clip holder. Google that and it'll pop up.

It's basically a long arm deal that holds a cell phone. I clip it onto the table and point the phone down onto the test. Then you can see the test and my hands.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I need to invest in one of these good ones for one when I start Pt'ing!

What's the best quality one on Amazon?

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

@"Alex Divine" The Avantree one works just fine. It's a little bit more expensive than some of the others, but it's also a little longer and slightly higher rated than many. I think it does the job...

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I've been recording myself with iPhone and this: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Holder-Gooseneck-iPhone-Phones/dp/B00JK70KUY.

Footages should be clear and you should be able to read questions & ACs in the video to see how much time you are spending on each AC.

Hope this helps :)

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

My two cents : buy a cheap webcam. Your computer will be infinitely easier to manage the storage issues you will run into (instead of having to delete every section immediately after you record yourself, you could just save it to an external hdd or upload to a private youtube account).

Ex: This $20 option would be more than sufficient, which is almost the same price as a phone holder.
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-Widescreen-Calling-Recording/dp/B004FHO5Y6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496839996&sr=1-4&keywords=webcam

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

Do people stop recording and start a new video after each section? I recently recorded myself for the first time and had issues with the file size.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    Do people stop recording and start a new video after each section? I recently recorded myself for the first time and had issues with the file size.

Whatever works for you! I think it's easiest to stop recording and then start it up for each section. It keeps it easier to track specific sections and identify which questions within that section that you have the issues with (as opposed to scrolling through a 2-3 hour video)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    @"Alex Divine" The Avantree one works just fine. It's a little bit more expensive than some of the others, but it's also a little longer and slightly higher rated than many. I think it does the job...

The more money something the costs, the better I believe it is. Sometimes I'm wrong, but it still makes me feel better, lmao. I think I'll order this one.

• practicethepausepracticethepause Alum Member
    111 karma

Thank you all so much!! I can't believe how willing y'all are to help others out

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

@practicethepause said:
    Thank you all so much!! I can't believe how willing y'all are to help others out

Welcome to 7Sage:)