Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ADHD petition

tofuspeedstartofuspeedstar Alum Member
in General 139 karma
Hi All,

I'm currently registered for the September exam. I've been trying like hell to prep under regular test conditions since May so I don't have to use my ADHD as a sort of crutch to take this exam...but today I've just come to accept that it's a disability that I have and I will need more than the alotted 35 minutes to perform my best on this exam. When I BR I'm scoring in the high 160s/low 170s. And under actual time conditions I'm just all over the place from the high 150s-160s. I've set a routine where I meditate for 15 minutes prior to taking a PT, I listen to the same song to calm me down, I do push ups. But when I'm on the clock I just panic. (When I took the Oct '13 exam I had a panic attack during the 1st section and just never recovered, I should've cancelled..but I didn't)...so I've gone onto LSAC's website to request testing accommodations. I have all the forms from my doctor stating my condition and requesting extended time...but I'm sort of lost on the statement of need that I myself have to submit. What should I put? Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @BruiserWoods to the rescue!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27848 karma
    Yeah @BruiserWoods is your girl.

So I’m assuming your Oct ’13 score was pretty bad? Ironically, the worse you did the better. It definitely gives you a place to start on your statement. Talk about that experience within the broader context of your struggles with ADHD.
  • tofuspeedstartofuspeedstar Alum Member
    139 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" it was abysmal...I will use that as a starting point. Thank you.
  • JudgeMathisJudgeMathis Alum Member
    38 karma
    I have also received accommodations for severe ADD and I PM'd you @tofuspeedstar
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    August 10th is the last day to apply for accommodations for the September LSAT. I honestly just wrote how my disability affects my day to day life and how much of a burden it is on me. I also included that my university recognizes my disability and has given me extra time for exams and classroom work. I was approved for different accommodations for both times I applied.
    139 karma
    @Matthew524 Thanks for the reminder. I will have everything submitted to LSAC tomorrow morning. I hate that I waited til the last minute to break down and request them.
    651 karma
    @tofuspeedstar did you take the medical exam that the LSAC requires in order for you to be considered for accommodations?
    139 karma
    @Matthew524 More than likely yes. I looked on their site for the specific test they require but couldn't find it. But I've gone through a battery of tests in my lifetime due to another neurological disorder I've dealt with.
    139 karma
    Thank you all for your help and input. LSAC granted my request as of this morning.
    edited August 2016 651 karma
    How much time did they give you?! @tofuspeedstar