Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should you postpone?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Hey I think we could give some fantastic proposal advice. Get JY to add it to the end of the proctor maybe?

Please put your pencil down and stop working in Section 4. Insert your answer sheet inside of your test booklet, and marry me.

What could be better?
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    LMAOOOO I'm in a mix of emotions rn. First I was trying to reply to @"Alex Divine" about how incredibly nice he is then I busted out laughing after seeing what @"Cant Get Right" said. Omg I really can't deal with Josh sometimes LOOOOOOL
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Please put your pencil down and stop working in Section 4. Insert your answer sheet inside of your test booklet, and marry me.

What could be better?
    HAHA! I can hear it in JY's voice, that is the scary part, lmao.

@"Cant Get Right" I was just taking a sip of seltzer as I read that. A bit of it literally came out of my noise and it burned so bad. That is the first time I laughed so hard milk seltzer came out of my noise.
    11542 karma
    Update: I'm still laughing LOL
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    LMAOOOO I'm in a mix of emotions rn.
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Update: I'm still laughing LOL
    Hahaha! Same :D

And thank you, remember I am just the male version of you :)
    11542 karma
    Absolutely :D @"Alex Divine"
    27822 karma
    I’ll be here all week!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:

Ommmmmmg so romantic <3 How could you BR after that?
    1762 karma
    I want to help too. After the pt make them turn around n say this!

Hey lover, we've been together way longer than I've been on the 7sage curriculum, and I think you're flawless. Our love strengthens everyday. My heart weakens with the thought of losing you. You're a necessary part of my life, and these facts most strongly support the conclusion that want to spend the rest of it (life) with you.

If you love me back ---->let's get married.
  • annannannannannann Alum Member
    304 karma
    Oh my gosh! You're like the nicest person on TLS.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’ll be here all week!
    You are the resident comedian so you better be! :D
    @nanchito said:
    I want to help too. After the pt make them turn around n say this!

Hey lover, we've been together way longer than I've been on the 7sage curriculum, and I think you're flawless. Our love strengthens everyday. My heart weakens with the thought of losing you. You're a necessary part of my life, and these facts most strongly support the conclusion that want to spend the rest of it (life) with you.

If you love me back ---->let's get married.
    Lol! I can't keep cracking up like this randomly throughout the day hahaha.

"I've identified the role you play in my life. The point at issue is that your beauty has blinded me. The principle of our love must be true..."

I'm afraid that because of the LSAT I no longer know how to talk to girls... Well, I guess I never did, but the LSAT hasn't helped much ;)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Ann California" said:
    Oh my gosh! You're like the nicest person on TLS.
    :D Thank you. That actually means a lot to me that you think so.
    11542 karma
    @nanchito @"Alex Divine" hahahaahhaha JY would be so proud (or embarrassed) but let's go with the former
  • 181please181please Member
    171 karma
    I mean think about it everyone... proposing and lsats are pretty damn similar.

You spend at the very minimum months planning it, some people spend years. There are some people who are just naturally a tad bit better at the start (more romantic/higher diagnostic) but we can all learn tips and tricks to get better (through dating that person/going through 7sage), there are ups and downs, and at times becomes extremely difficult to understand, you even fail pretty badly sometimes and get exhausted and want to quit (after a fight, after you do poorly on a PT), but in the end you take the test, and the day before the test you're really anxious and nervous because this may very well be one of the most important things you do in your life.

.... today is a slow day at work..
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Whenwillmy180show

The LSAT and proposal do have a lot in common now that I think about it. Especially how strenuous the whole process is for both things.
    @Whenwillmy180show said:
    .... today is a slow day at work..
    Hahaha! Yeah, same for me. Usually Wednesday's are my busy days... lol
    11542 karma
    @Whenwillmy180show said:
    You spend at the very minimum months planning it, some people spend years. There are some people who are just naturally a tad bit better at the start (more romantic/higher diagnostic) but we can all learn tips and tricks to get better (through dating that person/going through 7sage), there are ups and downs, and at times becomes extremely difficult to understand, you even fail pretty badly sometimes and get exhausted and want to quit (after a fight, after you do poorly on a PT), but in the end you take the test, and the day before the test you're really anxious and nervous because this may very well be one of the most important things you do in your life.

Oh my God hahahahahahaha...this is all your fault by the way, @Whenwillmy180show
    1762 karma
    @Whenwillmy180show Can I get an invite to the wedding? I love weddings but I intend to get hitched somewhere if it ever happens for me. Lsat and proposals are way different.

Lsat and gardening however... same thing.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited August 2016 12637 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    @"Cant Get Right" @montaha.rizeq @"Alex Divine"
    I spent a whole 5min on this, enjoy.

@nanchito you need an icon so I can add you to the pic.
    11542 karma
    LOOOOOOL plot twist: the picnic basket is full of PTs and drill packs
    12637 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    LOOOOOOL plot twist: the picnic basket is full of PTs and drill packs
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" @montaha.rizeq HAHA! This has gone too far I tell you!
    12637 karma
    We can take it FURTHER... What about AFTER the LSAT?
    1762 karma
    Lollol dead!! @"Dillon A. Wright" Harvard is the side piece!
    12637 karma
    @nanchito said:
    Harvard is the side piece!
    I mean, we could always do this...
    27822 karma
    Wow, this has gone way to far since this morning. I can't believe y'all went too far without me, I love taking things way too far!

I'm down for what's going down in that last one by the way. As long as Harvards not going to get all jealous and want to get back together with JY and JW.
    11542 karma
    I have to say Josh's gravitar makes this a lot more enjoyable LOL
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" @montaha.rizeq HAHAHAHA! Harvard is my love!
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Harvard is my love!
    Awww! hope you get in Alex! :D
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Awww! hope you get in Alex! :D
    I have a good feeling because of all the help and support of my fellow 7Sagers I will! :D And I shall see you @"Cant Get Right" and @allison.gill.sanford there!
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    And I shall see you @"Cant Get Right" and @allison.gill.sanford there!
    Dream team!
    11542 karma
    Oh I just realized you said "you" as in me haha, naah HLS ain't for me....my GPA is unforgivable unfortunately. Ah well, that which does not kill me :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Oh I just realized you said "you" as in me haha, naah HLS ain't for me....my GPA is unforgivable unfortunately. Ah well, that which does not kill me :)
    I'm sure you'll end up right where you are supposed to be! :)
    11542 karma
    I'm sure too :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    To get us back on track I will say that since I've decided to postpone a few weeks ago, I have been much more effective in my learning. I no longer have the artificial stress of an LSAT test date constantly over my head. I no longer feel like I don't have time to go back and watch that 3 hour lesson I don't understand 100%.

I also feel way more hopeful and optimistic. Because now I really know when I go to take the real deal, I will be ready.... Not hoping I will be ready.

Lastly, my entire mindset has changed and with that my goal has gone up. When I was planning on taking in Sept/Dec my goal was a 168. My mindset was "OK, I can miss 4 questions per section. If I can get LR down to 3 then I'm aloud to miss an extra RC and LG question....."

I was essentially calculating and accepting failure! I was condoning myself to do less than my best and that was making me really.... blah feeling.

Postponing was the best decision I have made in a while!

11542 karma
    It's crazy how this exam makes our minds think lol. Very well put Alex.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    It's crazy how this exam makes our minds think lol. Very well put Alex.
    Thanks! :)

And boy are you right! It is so crazy how this exam messes with our minds. Mindset is so critical for doing well on this test. I can't believe I ever fell into the mindset of thinking all I needed was 3-4 months to reach my potential.... I must have been drinking the TLS kool aid, lol.
  • majilacudy3majilacudy3 Member
    39 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    And it is important to remember that studying long and hard for this test doesn’t make you less smart than the kid who studied 3 months and got a 172.
    YES YES YES!!
  • accebekieaccebekie Member
    3 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I know the majority of us here are great students, and it is hard to let down your pride and admit that this test is hard.
    THANK YOU. I was deciding whether to postpone myself (I was originally scheduled to take the test in September), and I was right on the verge of this realization. This post was exactly what I needed to confirm my decision, and feel good about it too.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @reb.c.harris said:
    This post was exactly what I needed to confirm my decision, and feel good about it too.
    No problem! That makes me incredibly overjoyed to hear! I was going through making the same decision right before I wrote this. It was the best decision I made in a long time, but also the hardest. Though, once I made it I felt like a weight had been lifted (my self imposed deadlines mostly) and I began to feel good about it. :D

Good luck and good job making the right decision!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @majilacudy3 said:
    YES YES YES!!
    I think the hardest part for me was realizing that. Especially as a competitive person who has always done well in school. Unfortunately, it took me far to long to stop deriving self-worth from my test scores before I realized this... Glad you seem to agree :)
  • kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
    208 karma
    This is helpful. I have a question. I am about 5-7 points off where I want to be. I have registered for the September test. Is there any harm in me taking September and then possible December? Some thing in me just wants to take September. Am I hurting anything other than possibly wasting time?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @kmarie7 ,

So I think there are two main schools of thought on this question. And I see it quite often and have thought pretty long and hard, weighed the pros and cons, and come to a few conclusions:

First, I always think it is better to wait until you are confident to go into the testing center and write a test that reflects your potential; not just what your average is at that time.

Second, and sort of tying into the first, people rarely score higher on the real test than the PTs. On average, I think people usually score their last 3-5 test score's average. And it is quite often for takers to score 3 points or so lower than that... Being the prudent person I am, I would recommend waiting until at least your last 5 PTs are averaging where your ultimate goal lies. For example, if your goal is a 173. You may want to wait until your last 5 tests were a 175, 174, 171, 173, 175. Something like that anyways....

Lastly,
    @kmarie7 said:
    Am I hurting anything other than possibly wasting time?
    I think you are potentially wasting a take. And you can't get takes back. I have a close friend to me who sort of used 1 of her takes as a sort of glorified PT to see how she would fair under the pressure and so she would know what to expect... She then bombed her next take and then had to desperately rely on her 3rd take to be the one that did it. The stress it caused her was awful.

The point is that you might need all of your takes just to get you to the goal once you're already consistently scoring your average. So don't waste one a second before then. In short, I think you are wasting a take, at least for the most part.

The second school of thought will argue that a trial run can be a useful thing. Now you'll know what to expect and possibly learn from any errors made under the gun. Heck, you might even get lucky and score 5 points higher than your average....

My rebuttal to that is I think it makes more sense to just go to a library (with moderate noise and paper shuffling) take a timed PT with the 7Sage proctor and see how you do. My guess is that score won't be much different than if you had just taken it, but this way you save a take. I don't deny that this won't simulate ALL of the real test day experience. For one, you'll never be able to replicate the feeling of "Jiminy Crickets, this is the real deal!!!" Even so, I don't think it is worth giving up one of your sacred 3 takes.

Also, 5-7 points is a lot to achieve in 6-7 weeks. I think it is much more reasonable to wait until December and be ready to walk in there are kill it! And perhaps most importantly, your confidence will be there because you'll have consistently been scoring 5-7 points higher than now.

Good luck!
  • kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
    208 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I appreciate your input, and am heavily thinking about postponing. How far in advance do I have to make that decision?
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    My rebuttal to that is I think it makes more sense to just go to a library (with moderate noise and paper shuffling) take a timed PT with the 7Sage proctor and see how you do. My guess is that score won't be much different than if you had just taken it, but this way you save a take. I don't deny that this won't simulate ALL of the real test day experience. For one, you'll never be able to replicate the feeling of "Jiminy Crickets, this is the real deal!!!" Even so, I don't think it is worth giving up one of your sacred 3 takes.
    This is everything. Not to mention taking this approach saves you nearly $200 lol.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @kmarie7 said:
    I appreciate your input, and am heavily thinking about postponing. How far in advance do I have to make that decision?
    No problem! I think the LSAT change date / refund deadline in August 30th. And I think September 23rd is the withdraw deadline. I'd just confirm that on LSAC.org. I am currently not registered for any LSAT, so I'm not 100%.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    This is everything. Not to mention taking this approach saves you nearly $200 lol.

Duh! How could I forget.... $200 bucks saved :D Seems like postponing is a win-win!
    11542 karma
    Omg, is he really wearing an Arthur T-shirt?! LOOL that show was my jam back in the day. @"Alex Divine"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Omg, is he really wearing an Arthur T-shirt?! LOOL that show was my jam back in the day.
    Me too! It was one of my favs after school.... I still remember that catchy up-beat theme song :)

It's basically our 7Sage theme song of being kind and helpful to each other ! :D
    edited August 2016 27822 karma
    @reb.c.harris said:
    I was deciding whether to postpone myself (I was originally scheduled to take the test in September), and I was right on the verge of this realization. This post was exactly what I needed to confirm my decision, and feel good about it too.
    It’s almost funny how everyone goes through this. It’s such a dramatic decision, it was for me anyway. Then you realize, oh wait, literally everyone is doing this, haha. It’s good to know you’re not alone!
    @kmarie7 said:
    I am about 5-7 points off where I want to be.
    This really depends on which 5-7 points you’re talking about. Each point is exponentially more challenging than the last, so those points could represent a really large gulf depending on what you’re aiming for. To put that into some perspective, It took me about three months to break into the 160’s from a 150’s diagnostic. From there, it took me another year to break into the 170’s.

Exponential.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Then you realize, oh wait, literally everyone is doing this, haha. It’s good to know you’re not alone!
    Truer words have never been spoke (about the LSAT anyways, lol)