Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working at a law firm

DropItLikeItsLHotDropItLikeItsLHot Free Trial Member
in General 34 karma
Hello all! Another question...

Recently I applied to work at a law firm for next summer as an undergraduate student. The lawyer I may be working for is a family friend (we don't know him that well anymore though). Anyways, my question is, as an undergrad, will he want me to show him an official transcript of my marks and everything? During the interview he just asked me how my grades were and I told him and he sort of just left it at that...he has to discuss it with his partner to make sure he's cool with hiring me before he gives me the green light :) I know as an actual law student they want to see your official grades but since I'm not going to be articling and basically just doing jobs there that the lawyers themselves don't have time to do (like reading through some things to figure out what's junk and what's not) do you think I may not even need to show them my official grades? I'm actually wondering because when he asked me I got nervous for some reason (it was early in the interview so I wasn't settled in yet) and I kinda blurted out that I had a couple more A+'s than I actually got in my first year lol and I didn't bother correcting myself at the risk of sounding dumb (Insert laughing emoji).

Comments

• ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
    233 karma
    I work at a law firm now as a legal assistant, they never asked for my transcript, just a resume writing sample, references etc... Good Luck!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Toxoplasmosis said:
    I work at a law firm now as a legal assistant, they never asked for my transcript, just a resume writing sample, references etc... Good Luck!

Before my current job as I interned/worked at a small law firm downtown. They asked about grades, but never requested a transcript. Resume, references, and writing sample as @Toxoplasmosis says seems to be pretty standard. I actually got my friend my old internship and they requested the same thing from her....

Also, being that it is a family friend, I would doubt even more likely they will ask/care. Don't sweat it!

Good luck :)
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I've worked at four different law firms. None of them requested a transcript, but my GPA was on my resume.

I wouldn't worry about it! Especially since it is a family friend. If he does end up asking for a transcript, I highly doubt he'll remember exactly how many A+'s you said you received in the interview.
  • DropItLikeItsLHotDropItLikeItsLHot Free Trial Member
    34 karma
    I'm thinking you guys are right I mean who's gonna want an official transcript from some kid who hasn't even completed his later years of undergrad!? Thanks everyone :) no idea why I have a habit of blurting things like that out when I'm nervous but I'll work on it lol
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Happens to the best of us lol :)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I've applied for a few internships at local firms. None of them asked me for my transcript. The interview process was identical to yours, "What are your grades? Volunteer work? Okay...sounds good."
    Even if you do end up having to hand over your transcript, you can always explain that you thought you had more A+s than you actually do.