DELETED

needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
edited July 2018 in General 175 karma
DELETED

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    One of my best friends scored 173, with a 4.0 and was wait listed at both Harvard, and Stanford. He accepted a 100k scholly at NYU. Another friend, scored a 180 (Crazy right?) with a 3.6 and accepted a 50k scholly to Yale. To answer your question though: to get accepted; I'd guess 170+ depending on the competition of the class. To earn a scholarship: I'd guess173+ (Top 1%). But hey, take this with a grain of salt. All I can offer is anecdotal evidence and educated guesses! Best of luck!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27828 karma
    Typically, if you fall beneath their 50th percentile on GPA, you do need to give them an LSAT to make up for it. Ideally, you average out above the median. So if your gpa is at the 40th percentile, aim for at least the 60th percentile LSAT.

Of course there are other factors, but unless you've got something truly amazing and rare like an Olympic medal or an Oscar or something, your numbers are going to overwhelmingly determine what your prospects are and aren't.

Moral of the story is, up your GPA as high as possible. Also, up your LSAT as high as possible. Or, win a Nobel with your senior project.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @jknauf said:
    Another friend, scored a 180 (Crazy right?) with a 3.6 and accepted a 50k scholly to Yale.
    Yale, Harvard and Stanford don't give merit aid, so if your friend got in with a 180/3.6 it must have been need-based aid. Definitely crazy someone got in with a 3.6 -- Must have had some crazy softs!

According to MyLSN website, you should aim for a 173+ if you want a good chance at T6
    Though I think you'd have a coin flips chance with a 170 on the dot. Of course, this is all just a calculation based off of MYLSN. Don't let a low score stop you from applying (or retaking!)
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Moral of the story is, up your GPA as high as possible. Also, up your LSAT as high as possible. Or, win a Nobel with your senior project.
    Pad your GPA with easy As. Prep for the LSAT until you are ready to go in there and score a 170+ and you should be good to go for a top school.

Good luck :)
  • needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 175 karma
    deleted
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited August 2016 1741 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Yale, Harvard and Stanford don't give merit aid, so if your friend got in with a 180/3.6 it must have been need-based aid. Definitely crazy someone got in with a 3.6 -- Must have had some crazy softs!

It was an outside merit based scholarship created by a Yale alum for Yale Law students

@needmylsat180 check out this link! http://mylsn.info/b2zbth/ I don't see an accredited source listed anywhere so take this with a grain of salt. Plug in your numbers and have some fun! Cheers!

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    If you can increase the LSAT median of NYU, Penn, or Columbia even by 1 point you have a decent shot at those schools. So no, a 175 is not needed.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Northwestern is known to be splitter friendly which is what you would be. However, I knew someone who only had a 2.9 GPA and got a 166 on the LSAT and was accepted into Georgetown. I believe most law schools weigh the LSAT significantly more than they weigh your GPA but there are other factors. Your personal statement and your letters of recommendation are huge! If you plan on going to Yale Law School, I advise you to start going to your local Yale club and meeting some people, just from a few people I know from my dad, Yale wants you to be sponsored by an alumnus.
    deleted
    edited August 2016 2424 karma
    @needmylsat180 You should be incredibly diligent with your LSAT study. I studied no less than 32 hours a week for a year and a half, for example, and I had a full time job as well. Just make sure you don't burn out.

From an admissions point of view, all law schools want is to raise their GPA and LSAT medians. So any score above the median will raise it by the same amount whether you score a 180 or a 171 because ranks are determined by medians not means. As such, if you score even 1 point higher than the median of the school(s) you want to attend, you have a pretty good shot at getting accepted.

All provided you have a pretty decent application.You should definitely get your GPA as high as you can though and, when time comes, build a killer application.

Hope that helps!
    edited August 2016 2424 karma
    in other words, you don't need to get above the 75th percentile. It would certainly help for scholarship money though.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @Alejandro i literally ALWAYS forget about the median/mean distinction.
    2424 karma
    @BruiserWoods crucial distinction ;p
    deleted