Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp drilling

ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
in General 156 karma
I'm struggling with this section to the point where my scores have gotten worse and I'm just unsure how to even approach it. Does anyone have any recommendations for drilling passages or sections or any advice? please be as specific as possible!! it will be very appreciated

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @ppcoelho1 said:
    Does anyone have any recommendations for drilling passages or sections or any advice? please be as specific as possible!! it will be very appreciated
    I would recommend drilling lots of RC passages untimed. That was literally the only thing that helped me. Through doing that, I began to see the patterns in questions and how to locate the answers more quickly in the passage.

I also approach them like LR and pre-phrase answers. I find that RC tends to have a lot of trap answer choices. Even more so than LR sometimes.

What method(s) are you using for RC. Memory Method? LSAT Trainer?

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @"Alex Divine" i recently thought about doing them untimed. I was so reluctant before. I'm glad it's a helpful strategy. I'll get on it asap!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2016 2086 karma
    Do you have The LSAT Trainer? The advice in that book, regarding the RC section is gold. With RC, you want to focus primarily on the main point and reasoning structure (what each paragraph does, relative to the main point).
    Here is how I drill RC:

Drill type 1:
    1) Print out passage + questions
    2) On the bottom of the page, write, "Passage:" and "Total:" (you'll be timing yourself)
    3) Start a timer, and start reading
    4) Once you finish reading, jot down the time next to "Passage:"
    5) Complete the questions, then check the time again, write that time next to "Total:"
    6) Grade, review.
    7) Determine if you need to speed up (took longer than 8:45 and still got all, if not most of the questions right) or slow down and focus on accuracy (finished quickly, but missed more than 1 question). Go from there

Drill type 2 (standard):
    1) Print out an entire RC section from one of PTs 1-35
    2) Use the LSAT Proctor available here to time yourself for one section
    3) Use results to implement point 7 in "Drill type 1"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Nina_Lucas" said:
    i recently thought about doing them untimed. I was so reluctant before. I'm glad it's a helpful strategy. I'll get on it asap!
    Yeah, I mean I use my iPhone with a timer app to keep track of how long I take, but when learning RC, I don't think timing is as important. I basically do what @MrSamIam describes above. It works well to basically fool-proof the reading passages, lol. That is kind of how I see what I'm doing.
  • ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
    156 karma
    thank you everyone for the suggestions!! I had been using the memory method this far! i'm gonna spend some extra time on it this week and take in your advice! again I really appreciate you chipping in!!
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Definitely focus on just doing one RC passage at a time instead of doing a whole section. Seeing your time is important. Watching JY's explanation videos can help you see specific things that help as well (it just takes a while for these to make a difference because you pick up a thing here or there that is helpful).