Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did you improve in Flaw questions?

miguel6zavalamiguel6zavala Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 71 karma
Looking at all my practice test, this is where I have the most trouble at.

Comments

• kellysmellykellysmelly Alum Member
    84 karma
    I had the same problem. Really I think it comes down to being bad at quickly dealing with abstract language (because they almost always use abstract language in the ACs). I got significantly better by eliminating obviously wrong ACs and by attacking the abstract language as JY does in his explanations.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2014 3438 karma
    The flaws fall into certain kinds of categories... for example... part to whole, ad hominum attack, confusing necessary and sufficient... one you go thru a lot of these questions, the categories will start repeating and your ability to detect them will be fine tuned. Also I had a talk with Jonathan Wang and he said that one better way to improve is to play around with the question i.e. for each of the incorrect answer choices, you change the stimulus so that that answer choice becomes the flaw.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    edited September 2014 802 karma
    I printed a bunch of flaw questions from early PTs and went to town on them. Nothing but flaws all the time. Went from about 50% to now over 90% on average. Still not perfect, but pretty satisfied with taking my worst and bringing it above 90%.

You can either print the PTs you have access to (Did you buy the books? Make copies!) Cambridge also sells sets by type. Either way... if you're not good at something. Do it. A lot of it. Then watch JY and Jon tell you what you're wrong. Then go back and do it some more.

Get rich or die trying - Fiddy (used here as inappropriate analogy to flaw questions..get better or...)