PT35.S1.Q18 - the current pattern of human consumption

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited September 2016 6867 karma
    Where is that claim ever made in the stimulus? Can't support a statement that was never made.
  • Barack Obama 2.0Barack Obama 2.0 Alum Member
    87 karma
    Thanks for your response Jonathan, my question was about PT35.S1.Q18. I think a mod edited my post when I originally posted it, and put int he wrong question. I've just seen it and changed it back.
  • Barack Obama 2.0Barack Obama 2.0 Alum Member
    87 karma
    I think I got it. The gap in this argument is between the premise and the intermediate conclusion. Essentially the author presents a false dichotomy. The correct answer will most likely protect the argument against an explanation that will foil this dichotomy, i.e, one that will present an alternative solution.

(A) Whenever I see answer choices with absolute quantifiers like "all" in NA questions I am immediately suspicious. This doesn't need to be true because even if it were the argument leaves us with the possibility of doing without such resources, so the argument isn't necessarily destroyed.
    (B) Bingo. This negates an alternative solution i.e., "third way" to the false dichotomy presented in the argument that if true would completely destroy the validity of the argument.
    (C) Like (A) this doesn't need to be true because if it wasn't we still have the possibility of doing without such resources.
    (D) Out of scope. We don't care about the rate of consumption.
    (E) Even if this were not true there's still the possibility of just replacing them so this doesn't need to be true.