Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching from Kaplan to Testmasters

jaber.asmajaber.asma Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma
Hi, I've completed the Kaplan Online Self Paced LSAT prep course but am not seeing the results I want. Will it confuse me to switch over to Testmasters Online prep course/materials if I already learned Kaplan methods? Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @jaber.asma said:
    Will it confuse me to switch over to Testmasters Online prep course/materials if I already learned Kaplan methods?
    I'm not sure. I do know that their approaches to diagramming are quite different, especially with respect to grouping games. So that might be confusing. Also, iirc, their RC notation and approaches are also quite different.

Have you considered a 7Sage course?
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    IMO it really hinges on your willingness and ability to switch from your already learned methods to new methods. If you are totally open to it and can put the old material out of your mind then I see no problem. I, too, have tried the Kaplan course and end up using a mix of techniques from both 7Sage and it, with 7Sage taking a little more priority in my mind. Think of your mind as a toolbox and the different approaches you learn as different tools. There is no reason you can't keep multiple tools in your box, you just have to make sure you keep your box organized.

One thing I would like to use as an example is notation. As a Kaplan student, I learned some notation for things that 7Sage does not use, or rather, 7Sage uses different notation. I try not to use the Kaplan notation if I am specifically thinking of a question in a "7Sage way" because then I feel my mind starts to jumble. If you can mix the techniques in this way and make it effective then by all means do, but watch out for that in particular.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    Just sign up for a starter pack with 7Sage you will not regret it. Kaplan wasted three months of my prep time. Sign up for 7Sage if you have the drive and save some money because no matter what prep course you choose you need to put in the time and effort. There is no silver bullet for LSAT.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @nader.parham said:
    There is no silver bullet for LSAT.
    That is going to be the name of my webinar when I become a sage, lol.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    LOOOOL @"Alex Divine" capitalized, bolded, italics, and underlined too.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27861 karma
    I can't speak to TM online course, but if it tells you, as I believe their classroom course claims, that it can prepare you for the LSAT in three months, don't waste your money.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I can't speak to TM online course, but if it tells you, as I believe their classroom course claims, that it can prepare you for the LSAT in three months, don't waste your money.
    Absolutely correct! I sat in on a TM class back in May. From what I gathered from my own personal experience and from friends at my UG that ultimately took TM, they give you large packets with 100+ questions for each question type and you are expected to learn by osmosis. Your homework is to basically do 100 necessary assumption questions then grade yourself without really learning what you did wrong. You can ask questions in class, but with 15-20 other people, if you got 20 wrong out of 100 when you're first learning, there is no time to get to more than 1 or 2 questions.

They also told us we could expect to improve 5 points from our diagnostic or something really depressing like that. But in reality, for a 3-month course, that is all they can really realistically tell you.

The LSAT Trainer for $40 and PTs 52-71 is light years better than the nearly $1000+ TM course. And 7Sage is far superior to both imo.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    capitalized, bolded, italics, and underlined too.
    Hahaha! After a month of studying and getting half way through like 4 LSAT Prep books, Nicole Hopkins said "there are no silver bullets or magical prep schedules" and I signed up for 7Sage the next day.