Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older LSAT takers?

2»

Comments

• splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    kittyahmed: My thoughts are get a good LSAT score and a resulting scholarship that hopefully comes along with it. :D
  • olatundeolatunde Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    I am 38, will be 39 in Dec... I've been studying hard for the LSAT for the past few months and came to the conclusion this week that the LSAT and Law School aren't for me... There are a lot of sites out that have some good questions to ask yourself as a reality check on why you're doing it... and going through these have led me to the fact that Law School isn't the route for me to get where I'm trying to end up... I want to ultimately be a mediator and the majority in the field are Attorney-mediators but the route there is 3 years of law school, several of law practice then building mediator practice... and I would likely have to be away from my wife and kids for the law school portion of that...
    Guess it took all the long nights of study and thinking through personal statements to come to the conclusion but better now than later after tens of thousands of dollars down the line...

Just in case you haven't thought it through there is a short flow that has a little direction to check out...
    http://abovethelaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DGTLSU-Flow-Chart-Two-Panels.png
    http://www.deanspade.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/For-Those-Considering-Law-School-Nov-2010.pdf
  • mypeekabumypeekabu Member
    30 karma
    I will be 37 this year. Took the LSAT twice, and really wasn't happy with my results (didn't get past 152). It was disappointing, but definitely a reflection of the work/effort/time I put in. Am registered for Feb. 2016. I work full time, so am not able to put in a ton of hours per week, but am definitely putting in more time than I did with my previous tries. I finished the 7Sage curriculum and am working my way through the Trainer (btw, a very good resource). My problem isn't that I don't understand the concepts, my problem is finding the motivation and time to actually drill, drill, drill. But just reading a lot of the posts here, I feel motivated. Thank you for the motivation and the reality check :-)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @mypeekabu said:
    My problem isn't that I don't understand the concepts, my problem is finding the motivation and time to actually drill, drill, drill.
    Good for you, playing the long game! I believe you're in an excellent position to have a deep understanding and to know you've done the best you possibly could have done. Those two aspects are, I think, the most lasting take-aways from this whole LSAT experience.
  • mypeekabumypeekabu Member
    30 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Thank you for the kind words. Keeping at it, is the name of the game - at least for me.
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    33 starting in 2 weeks but looks like my class is mostly 22-25. @Ooglymoogs map shows you are right across the street from me, I just took the June lsat, let me know if I can help.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    32 don't know how I missed this thread! Awesome sauce!
  • speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma
    Bumping this! 33 year old, 13 years out of college, looking for PS pals and LoR sympathizing. I am also researching schools more intensely to prep for the LSAC forum and realizing that I am above the age range given in some schools, which is definitely giving me pause given that I'm only 33. Let's do this together!
  • monicamochamonicamocha Member
    9 karma
    Wow, glad to hear from everyone - and I'm glad I'm not alone in being a bit "older". :) I'm 31, work a full-time job where I have to go on business trips, helping my mom transition back to work after a medical procedure, and still studying for the LSAT! I did my Masters when I was 26 and working part-time, so I have learned a lot about time management over the past few years. I'm glad we have a forum on here to share our perspectives.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    33. Dad. Love studying for the LSAT even though I work full-time.
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    26 but 28 when I start. never again will I complain about being a late bloomer. good luck to you all!! dope inspiration.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Bout to be 24 tomorrow!
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @"Alex Divine" yay it's almost your birthday!! happy early birthday :) will you be taking the day off the lsat?
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    TONS of members here are 30+.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Bout to be 24 tomorrow!
    Kicked out of the "Older" group...
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    yay it's almost your birthday!! happy early birthday :) will you be taking the day off the lsat?
    :) Thank you !

Probably not haha. I've kind of been in the zone lately and I try to make sure I get some solid time in everyday except Sunday. I am probably going to call it quits sooner and go out for a nice dinner and maybe even have a few drinks.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Lol Steph ;)

... I feel so damn old it isn't even funny. I feel like my 21st birthday was 6 months ago. I can't believe I am almost half way done with my 20s...
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27841 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    ... I feel so damn old it isn't even funny.
    Lol. Get out of here kiddo;)
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited October 2016 5120 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    ... I feel so damn old it isn't even funny
    Cracking me up - I started this journey at 48 and finally took the dang thing at 50 while still preparing for a retake:)
    All the best to the late bloomers!

And to quote Garth Brooks, "I am much to young to feel this damn Old"
    @"Alex Divine" hope you find someone like me to share my notes with in 1L to keep you young, heehee:)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @twssmith said:
    I started this journey at 48 and finally took the dang thing at 50 while still preparing for a retake:)
    You're seriously awesome! wow.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    LOOOOL you guys are so mean! leave us youngins alone :P
    http://fla.fg-a.com/grandparents/grandparents-dancing.gif
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @twssmith said:
    @"Alex Divine" hope you find someone like me to share my notes with in 1L to keep you young, heehee:)
    Hahaha! :) I hope so too!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    :) Ok, but I will be back in 6 years!
    760 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I admire your commitment! it's officially your bday in canada so happy birthday :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27841 karma
    Happy birthday @"Alex Divine" !
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Happy birthday @"Alex Divine" !
    Thank you @"Cant Get Right" ! :)
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    @"Alex Divine" I admire your commitment! it's officially your bday in canada so happy birthday :)
    :) Thank you! It is officially my Bday here in the states!
    393 karma
    Happy birthday, junior! ;)

hi5 and awesome to "meet" the other olders. Let's do this!
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Happy Birthday @"Alex Divine" ! May your journey to 30 be full of joy.
  • teacat_risingteacat_rising Member
    11 karma

Happy Bday @"Alex Divine"!

Very happy to see there are others on 7sage! Nice to e-meet you all.

26, finished my MA last December. Took the test five years ago, totally bombed it (should've cancelled my scores) and quite bummed hat there's a phantom sixth year of score eligibility.
    Re-taking in December, but having second thoughts, as it's a bit more difficult to study properly with a full-time job and a job on the side. I would like to start August 2017, but worry that a February test date will hurt my chances. Would love insight if anyone has any!

PS. Available to be an accountability buddy and/or PS reader :)

• sagarpatelsagarpatel Alum Member
    164 karma
    23 but feel quite old lol!
    760 karma
    @lauren.krebs i'm also 26, finished my MA august 2015. :) planning to write the dec test as well :O
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @lauren.krebs said:
    Happy Bday @"Alex Divine"!
    @speedwagon said:
    Happy birthday, junior! ;)
    @desire2learn said:
    Happy Birthday @"Alex Divine" ! May your journey to 30 be full of joy.

Thanks so much you guys, it really means a lot and makes me so happy! :D
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @lauren.krebs said:
    I would like to start August 2017, but worry that a February test date will hurt my chances. Would love insight if anyone has any!

I feel you as I'm kind of having a similar dilemma. I work full time now, studying, and ideally I would like to start next August and apply this cycle, but I've decided the answer to this is to make sure my LSAT score is where I need it to be, then take, then apply. Any other order just doesn't make sense. Such as taking the LSAT in Feb if you are not ready.

Depending on where you're scoring now and what your ultimate goal is, you may be ready by February. It will be on the late side and some school don't consider Feb scores. So b sure to look into your target schools and see if they will accept a Feb score (plenty do).

Essentially, I would say that you'd be better off properly studying until you meet your goal and then applying, be it in Feb 17' or next fall.

Better to have a great LSAT score next cycle, apps ready, and apply on the first day than to apply on the later side with an LSAT score that doesn't represent your true potential.
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    I'm 29! Just saw this thread for the first time, I'm so happy not to be alone!
    edited October 2016 393 karma
    OK oldsters, I just went to the LSAC Fair in NYC and did a lot of asking. Here are some things I learned that generalize:

1) if it's been more than 10 years, your academic letter is important but not as essential. What is essential is good proof you can do well in school. Reading, writing, analysis. I don't think I'll have a great letter from a professor and the answers I got were all over with regards to how much of a problem that would be, especially with an employer letter that can talk about those things. This helped me calm down a little bit. Schools vary! Check twice!

2) if you are in your 30s you will be among the oldest in your class most places. Asking the % over 30 got me much more useful info than that "# of years out of school" # most schools have. People would say "oh a huge percent of our student body is nontraditional" and they mean returning after 5 or 6 years, not 10+.

3) the personal statement! This one from all accounts does need to answer what you've been doing since undergrad or at least why law school now. Everyone I talked to said some variation of "oh we love returning students, they bring so much wisdom and experience and that is what we want to understand" so there you have it. You already knew that though. I think I am going to try to call the prelaw advisor at my undergrad school which is evidently something one can do as an alumna that I wouldn't have thought about doing (I was at a big state school.)

I will say getting in front of actual schools was incredibly useful, both for my sense of what they were like and what it was to be in a teeming room of mostly much younger people. The admissions people were not thaaaaat useful to be honest (every school has exceptional faculty, clinic opportunities to all that are interested, a tight-knit student body, etc, etc...) but some people were much more interested in talking about being an older student than others which was edifying. Also, the students who were there were very useful and open to being grilled and THAT ruled. It also really hammered home that for me I am going to need to visit schools in order to get a real sense of what is going on and what the differences are between schools and how I might fit in.

Hope this helps!
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    I'm 40! Yikes! Going to a Law School fair with many schools present on the 24th. Appreciate that input from yours, @speedwagon There is no way I could attempt to get an academic rec... also went to a big state school, and the one I knew the best was very elderly. Work experience FTW!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    haha I know the feeling @rachel I looked up my undergrad tickets and every single one was retired!!! Even my 11 year old Masters was a miss, people had moved to different schools or retired. I was lucky and had completed a graduate certificate in 2013 and had a teacher that loved me, otherwise it would have looked weird if I didnt have an academic one. Im just 2 years or less behind you :)