Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Depressed about Weakening Questions

PennyroyalTPennyroyalT Member
edited October 2016 in Logical Reasoning 40 karma
Hey all. Just wanted to write and foster a discussion about weakening questions. I don't really fully understand them. Sometimes I will get them right and then other times I will completely mess them up. I am really quite sad about this, as I obviously want to conquer them. Any insight into approach would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• corgimeistercorgimeister Member
    36 karma
    I definitely understand where you are coming from. I can always find the conclusion and premise...I also know to target the support of argument. However, when I look at the answers, I convince myself that more than one can weaken the argument, even though I know there is only answer that even remotely weakens the argument. Thanks for starting the discussion!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Hi Penny:)
    To allay any concerns you have, weaken questions can be wicked!! Their deception lies in the level of difficulty that LSAC will throw at you on especially this question type. Just as you think you are starting to conquer them, you hit a curve ball that makes you question your confidence and ability - but this is a part of the psychology of the test. Weaken questions can be easy but can also be some of the hardest curve breaker questions for even the 175+ scorers with vague or ambiguous answer choices.

Many times Weaken/Strengthen questions will expose a problem with a specific flaw type rather than the question type. It might be a good idea to revisit the one's that stumped you to see if you can identify a specific trend and/or maybe find a different perspective on why you struggled on different questions.

Check out Nicole's Webinar on Stregthen/Weaken question types - I actually attended that webinar live and still revisit it for reinforcement of the concept she presented about 3 common types of Weaken/Stregthen argument structures -

https://7sage.com/webinar/weaken-strengthen/

If you have any specific questions - let us know!!
  • PennyroyalTPennyroyalT Member
    40 karma
    @corgimeister Thanks for responding! I think this is definitely not a unique problem I'm struggling with and I'm glad we can discuss it openly!

@twssmith Thank you so much for your input. Funny enough, I actually happened across Nicole Hopkins' webinar on Strengthen and Weaken questions right after I made this post. I'm planning on sitting down today and going over it, while taking some serious notes.
    Also, I think that the general trend in the ones I'm missing is that I was just fatigued yesterday. I started missing even things I shouldn't have been and that's when I knew I had to put the books down. I had great sleep last night and I'm going to meditate this morning, eat a wonderful breakfast, and get to work. I really appreciate the input and I'll be sure to let you know of any new developments!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @PennyroyalT said:
    Nicole Hopkins' webinar on Strengthen and Weaken questions right after I made this post. I'm planning on sitting down today and going over it, while taking some serious notes.
    This! Take good notes and review the lessons/webinar. A big problem I had with weaken questions was attacking the premises instead of the support those premises give to the conclusion. As @twssmith said, these questions can be wicked!

If I remember correctly, that webinar was a BIG help when I still wasn't understanding Strengthen/weaken questions.
    40 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I just finished the webinar and my, was it helpful! I am very excited to use it and see where it takes me. It helped to clear up a lot of things and made Weakening/Strengthening questions not appear as daunting. I love the "cookie-cutter" method that was proposed. Very insightful! I also love that only difficult questions were used as examples
  • zkchrumzzkchrumz Free Trial Member
    164 karma
    I get bummed out by Strengthen/Weaken questions alot. I just remind myself that they can be some of the toughest LSAT questions they can make. There are really no shortcuts for beating these questions like there are for sufficient/necessary assumptions, main point, parallel, role in argument, or MBT. So just take them with a grain of salt, is my advice, and keep hammering away.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Don't get down about weaknesses. Just use them as an opportunity to learn. Many of us have struggled with specific types of questions (including weakening). Ultimately you have to fight through and keep to it. Don't give up!
    40 karma
    Thanks everyone for the advice and the encouragement! I have been meditating the past few days and my outlook is slowly improving. We can do this!
  • Farabian-PlatonistFarabian-Platonist Alum Member
    54 karma

Excellent thread with some very helpful material. Thanks for all of your previous input.