Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identifying Assumptions

hannah526hannah526 Member
in General 89 karma
Most LR questions have a missing assumption and I think that is where I am having trouble. Sometimes the assumptions are very fuzzy to me...it's like I have an idea of what is missing but I can't put my finger on it. It has been frustrating! But I am glad that I am figuring out what I am needing to work on.

What is your suggestion of improvement for identifying assumptions?

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma
    Hmm this can vary greatly on the question type and so my response would be much too long in order to nail down the numerous reasons why one couldn't identify an assumption. Do you have a specific PT question number I can use as a reference?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @hannah526

For assumption family questions in LR you need to be able to weed through the excess verbiage in the stimulus and identify the argument core with surgical precision, identify the conclusion first then the reasoning and figure out why the premises do not completely substantiate the conclusion (there will always be at least one reason, there has to be). If you're able to pre-phase an answer it'll make it easier for you to identify the correct answer.

My suggestion would be to just practice doing assumption family type questions untimed at first. Really get good at finding the conclusion and the premises that support the conclusion. Then think about why that premise doesn't fully prove that conclusion.

Good luck!
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    You can always negate the statement and turn it into a weaken question. I have not gotten an assumption question wrong in ages
  • lm125108lm125108 Member
    134 karma
    Great points made by Alex Divine. I would add that thinking about the flaw of the argument often times leads me to the assumption. And the easiest way for me to identify the flaw is to think about the argument in two ways. The author/argument:

1. Fails to consider ...
    2. Takes for granted ...

So if, for example, here is a simplified argument:
    Medicine X has been proven an effective treatment for Disease Y. Mark has Disease Y and it is being treated effectively. Therefore, Mark must be taking Medicine X.

The author in his/her argument (1) fails to consider other treatments for Disease Y that are just as effective as Medicine X, and (2) takes for granted that Medicine X is the only effective treatment for Disease Y.

If you reword the flaws, you will get an assumption like Medicine X is the only effective treatment available for Disease Y.

I hope that's helpful!
  • hannah526hannah526 Member
    89 karma
    @lm125108 that is very helpful! Thanks! I have been reading the LSAT trainer to brush up on his flaw exercises...your comment reassured me that I am on the right track. It is becoming easier when I think of the assumption as a flaw first--it becomes clearer I think.

Thanks everyone for your help! This is such a helpful community!