Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

40+ age group LSAT takers?

TechnoJDTechnoJD Member
in General 42 karma
I can't be the only 40+ person here who is going to change careers? Chime in if you fall into that group - and if you want to create a skype type study group.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I'm happy to say @twssmith qualifies :D
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Sorry @montaha.rizeq and @TechnoJD , but I can't spare @twssmith from my study group!!
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    I don't fall into the range specified by your post but I just wanted to swing by to tell you that I respect you undertaking the LSAT journey at 40+ If you ever have any specific questions about different aspect of the exam, don't hesitate to post them.
  • esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    I am 37 and taking the LSAT in December. Thanks for posting! I think I have a slight advantage over youngsters because I have read about more random stuff than traditional college students, and remember more research that has been mentioned in the news over time. The only problem I have is that I don't read very fast....the whole reason I never went to college as a kid. I'm an undergrad senior now and I'm doing well enough with a 3.95 GPA. I would love to do some blind reviewing together! Many times I cannot make the group session because I don't want to miss story time before the kiddo goes to bed. Again, thanks for reaching out!
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    I am 40 and am taking in December. Would love to try to join in on any conversations/study groups, schedule-permitting. I work part-time and have 3 kids!
  • esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    @rachel @TechnoJD are you guys free during the day?
    207 karma
    I can be, but my work schedule varies. Would try to make it.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited October 2016 5120 karma
    Hi @TechnoJD!! Chiming in - I am 50. Congrats on the decision for a career change and so glad you reached out to your fellow older LSAT takers. You are not alone on this site nor alone in the "career change" population of Law School applicants:) When I first joined 7Sage over a year ago, I made many friends with my peers that were 45+ years old that are in great Law Schools now.

Let me know if you create a Skype type group and I am happy to support! I hope you will consider joining the Blind Review calls that 7Sage hosts as another option. Over the past year, my experiences with these calls has provided knowledge and a "family" support system to get thru the highs and lows of LSAT prep.

Look forward to talking to you soon!
  • TechnoJDTechnoJD Member
    42 karma
    Thanks all for the replies - knew I wasn't here alone in this journey!

@David3389 Thanks - age is but a limit people set for themselves - I don't fall into that category :)

@esteerose AWESOME! Kicking butt and taking names with that GPA and dedication! I don't see reading slow as a hinderance - reading fast doesn't equal understanding, after all!

@rachel Three kids? You're not working a part-time gig, you're working one FT job and a part-time gig to get some rest ;)

@esteerose & @rachel I'm free most late afternoons onward - which timezones are you in? I'm Atlantic.

@twssmith Thanks! I will definitely look into the Blind Reviews!

A bit of my background:
    I'm 43, have an undergrad in Information Networking (fancy way of saying Computer Networking) and a Masters in a specialized computer field - ergo the "Techno" part of my username :-)
  • GodlyOneGodlyOne Alum Member
    76 karma
    @TechnoJD It's so funny you posted this, because just the other day I was thinking, hmmm am I one of the oldest on the 7Sage site?! haha- You have reassured me I am not, thanks :). I turn 30 in Feb, taking the LSAT in Dec. I work full-time & have 2 kids. Welcome everyone!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    We commend you for your tenacity good sir! Hope you have a great experience with 7sage and find a community that will support you every step of the way.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    There is this thread too, (https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/6636/back-by-popular-demand-the-old-timer-s-thread-30-only-valid-form-of-id-required) for the traditional OWLs (Older Wiser Law Students or ). It seems most East coast schools have an OWLS club as a part of their student association offerings. A few of the bigger West Coast schools do too. If I end up at school, without one, I'll start one. They dont seem to be organized on any type of national level, but they are pretty cool. WHen I got my tour at two of my top choices they paired me up with an OWL tour guide and it made me realize the importance of having some people are own age to have serious discussions with for topics that might not impact the average law student.

207 karma
    Love to hear that there are "clubs" for us old farts! I will start one too, @stepharizona if there is not one at the school where I wind up. I'm in the Mountain time zone, so 2 hours behind east coast. Times that really don't work for me generally are 4-7 MT weekdays. I could do Saturday or Sunday late afternoon/evenings, and as for week days I'll try to work around the calls.
    207 karma
    Also, I'd love this group's input about the personal statement. I've read/heard that for a second career/mature student like me, it's essential to address the Why Law School aspect in my PS. Do you think that means going into some level of specificity as to what type of law I'm interested in?

Honestly guys, I think I need a therapist. I don't know for certain what type of law I'd like to pursue -- I do want to keep my options open and LEARN in school... but there are also practical considerations I must weigh given my situation. I'm struggling with how much of this should wind up in my PS.

Thanks in advance!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @rachel said:
    Honestly guys, I think I need a therapist. I don't know for certain what type of law I'd like to pursue -- I do want to keep my options open and LEARN in school... but there are also practical considerations I must weigh given my situation.
    Dearest Rachel - I feel the same way!!
    "options open and LEARN in school" but I don't want the law schools to think this is not a serious pursuit for a law degree:(
    207 karma
    exactly @twssmith !
    42 karma
    @rachel I just submitted a PS (restricted to 500 words, that was a challenge!); I didn't include which area of law I am most interested in (though I have to admit it's Criminal Law) as I know of friends who attended LS with area "A" in mind, only to be exposed to D-G; Several ended up going in an entirely different direction than what they were leaning towards in the first place.

So, why try to hone in on a certain area when there are so many options, most of which you (in all likelihood) haven't been exposed to? :)
    edited October 2016 42 karma
    @GodlyOne 30? Phhhbt... just a youngen' ;) Life doesn't start until 40! haha
  • GodlyOneGodlyOne Alum Member
    76 karma
    @TechnoJD haha! That's awesome & good to know!!! I have so much to look forward to then!!!