Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowdsourcing my Resume Critique

ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
in General 276 karma
Hello all–I'd love some feedback on the content of my resume for applications! I'm very familiar with resumes for jobs, but there is definitely a different style for LS applications. As a guide I used the 7sage admissions course content and several resume samples available online from HLS and Anna Ivey. Identifying information (name, location, schools) have been changed.

Comments

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma
    Two trivial edits:

In the "Activities" section, you have "Business Liaison, Member" for one position and then "Hearing Board Member" for another. Why does one have a comma indicating your position and the other doesn't? It might be something that's exclusive or peculiar to the title, but if not, then make sure they're consistent.

The length of the dash on the "Student Conduct Board" position's dates is longer than all the others.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I agree with @apublicdisplay above. The formatting looks pretty good otherwise.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited November 2016 11542 karma
    short, sweet, precise - look really good
  • Stephanie57049Stephanie57049 Alum Member
    69 karma
    Looks pretty good. In skimming through it, I would ask why you left the University of Texas. Was it just a semester, was there an interesting reason why you transferred, etc...
  • ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    @apublicdisplay @"Alex Divine" @montaha.rizeq
    Thank you guys for the feedback! Can't believe I missed the length of that dash. As for the "Business Liaison, Member", I used a comma in this entry and not the other because the "Business Liaison is a title/position for the org's executive board, and "Member" is another title/position indicating my membership status in the organization. I've used this combination in the past, because we also have many people that attempt to meet membership status, called "Candidates", who can also serve on the executive board.

@Stephanie57049
    Thank you for your feedback! I was just at the university a semester before transferring for pretty normal reasons; I originally had another bullet beneath "President's list..." that read something like:

"Transferred to The State University of New York in January 2015"

I removed this because it seemed like David's instructions in the admissions course indicated that a transfer should only be emphasized if it's to a better school. Would be curious to hear more opinions on including/omitting that bullet included above.
  • Burt MacklinBurt Macklin Alum Member
    170 karma
    Would really like to see what David Busis has to say. These are the notes I have from his webinars this summer:

Resume (not the same as a job)
    -List interests and activities (these two come up in interviews)
    -Shows that you're an human being, humanize yourself
    -Only include highlights, show off skills or highlights talents
    -Keep to one page, admissions will scan for about 30 seconds, so make it scannable with plenty of white space and easy to read formatting
    -Only include highlights
    -Have quantifiable accomplishments