Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will 7Sage be different than BluePrint?

in General 126 karma
I took a BluePrint course for 3 months and self-studied for the LSAT for a full year back in 2015, but ended up quitting earlier this year after encountering severe burnout and score stagnation. I was lucky enough to find a job at a reputable company in Silicon Valley which was great, but I still have desire to attend law school.

After throughly going over BluePrint, PowerScore, and parts of the LSAT Trainer, I still couldn't get my score over 155. I feel like I tried everything, and in some ways, I'm still hesitant about starting again due to fear of failure. Is there anything in the 7Sage curriculum that distinguishes it from the rest? I'm planning on purchasing the Ultimate bundle, but I don't want to waste money if it won't help me with the problems I faced the first time.

Thanks

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    Hey,

So while I was in school I first did Blueprint online. I am not sure if that is similar to what you learned in class but if it was, Yes, 7sage is definitely different in that the courses go farther and the community here is very very supportive. I think most of the gains I have made in my LSAT studies have been because of the people. I came to a lot of BR calls and asked questions, and by comparing how I approached a question with how 170 scorers approached the same question helped me tremendously in having better understanding and strategies.

*Also, I find the notation strategy for blueprint RC to be very time consuming compared to the memory method or light notation strategy which is more helpful.

* Frankly speaking, I dont' remember much from the online course probably because I ended up throwing all that out from my brain as it was not very useful.
  • cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
    190 karma
    I took a Blueprint Course this previous summer and it I did not have a great experience with it. It helped a little bit in terms of learning how to answer questions and how to go about learning them, but my score did not increase at all. I was pretty disappointed considering I had scored in the 140s for my diagnostic. After researching, I signed up for 7sage, and literally after 2 weeks, things really clicked for me. I started approaching questions differently and it has been working ever since. I haven't taken another PT since my last one from Blueprint (which was in the 140s), but I'm really excited to see how much I've improved. And I'm definitely sure I have. Compared to Blueprint, 7sage is by far a lot better and more effective. I've heard this story from numerous other people on here.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    I never took BluePrint, so all I can really comment on is what I've heard from others who have and on my experience with switching from Powerscore to 7Sage.

I've heard several accounts of Blueprint and similar 3 month course programs telling their students to expect to improve about +5 from their diagnostic score. That is absolutely crazy. On 7Sage, people go +15 or more all the time. A +5 expectation is just shockingly low to me. It happens, of course, but it's what happens when things go wrong, not when things go as well as can be expected.

Work patiently: 7Sage is not limited by false promises that you can achieve your potential in 3 months. It takes a long time to achieve max potential and 7Sage teaches to reach potential rather than an arbitrary timeline. I think it's really understandable that so many people find promises of reaching their potential in 3 months so attractive. I mean, that objectively sounds really great. It simply isn't the reality though. Here, you will never be told anything just because it makes for great marketing. You'll be given the truth, however brutal and unattractive.

Work smart: Hard to beat 7Sage on this. So you used Powerscore, and I think that makes for a great comparison. Let's be generous and say that Powerscore achieves the most effective possible curriculum that can fit into a book (and we are being very, very generous here). Let's now compare that book to a computer, lol. No need to elaborate here: It's an absurd scenario. The LSAT is designed for the scores to create a bell curve. That means you're being graded against the field. So, do you want to be the guy with the book or the guy with the computer?

Aside from that, 7Sage seems to do a great job of maximizing the capacity of online learning. First, and most importantly, JY is an exceptional teacher (which you can determine for yourself by accessing the free LG explanations, among others, on youtube). Second, 7Sage takes full advantage of the capacity offered by an online curriculum. Nothing is glossed over for the sake of time or space. Every concept relevant to this test is explored and explained to it's full depth, as is every passage, game, and question. Third, analytics allows you to easily input your data and processes it to establish trends and identify weaknesses. This allows for surgically targeted studying in order to focus your studies at the most productive areas.

The community also gives you access to the accumulated wisdom of generations of LSAT students. We've pretty much got you covered. More than that is the support the group offers. Taking the LSAT is lonely. People in real life don't understand what it's like to prepare for the LSAT and it's really encouraging to have access to a community of people who get it.

Work hard: This ones up to you no matter what you use to study, and this is probably more important than any other aspect or resource. 7Sage can't make up for this if it's lacking. However hard you're willing to work though, I sincerely believe that 7Sage will maximize the return on that work.

So, that's my 7Sage sales pitch I guess, lol.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    The LSAT is designed for the scores to create a bell curve. That means you're being graded against the field. So, do you want to be the guy with the book or the guy with the computer?
    Never thought of it that way...but...wow. just wow.
    I just deleted my account and re-signed back up after reading this.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    I've never taken BluePrint and everyone else has already given some great points on 7Sage, but (at the expense of sounding like a bad salesperson) I just wanted to add that we have a 14-day money back guarantee. I can't imagine how shitty it feels to buy a course and then find out it's not for you only to've spent so much money on it and then be stuck with it. If you try 7Sage and find out it's not for you before the 14 days are up, no hard feelings. Just email me (dillon@7sage.com) and I'll refund you.
    https://7sage.com/enroll/
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    423 karma
    I participated in a BluePrint class this summer. 7Sage dominates. Their RC technique is as follows - "don't focus on the details...annotate everything!" In terms of LG, they are more concerned with coining new labels for classifying the games e.g. what 7Sage knows to be a simple "In/Out Grouping Game w/sub categories" BluePrint might call an "Stable/Unstable Overbooked/Underbooked Grouping Game with Categories." It's actually really unhelpful because you get confused trying to figure out what you're even dealing with. Lastly, their LR content was OK, primarily because I liked how they broke down flaws, but everything else is lacking. Whereas BluePrint had me spending time trying to grasp stupid flow charts on how to approach different questions, JY and 7Sage have actually facilitated my UNDERSTANDING of things.
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    I don't know much about BluePrint but I used the LSAT Bibles and I would say one thing that I think hurt me more than anything was the incessant need to categorize every game. I'd say the best part in regards to how 7Sage teaches games is just giving you two main categories with some twists on them. I feel like prior to 7Sage, when I approached games I felt this need to categorize it. If BluePrint does the same, then it could do more harm than good. Now, when I approach the games, it really just comes naturally to how I organize it. It's all second nature which I think comes from less focus on needing to diagnose a game and from watching JY do the games on the videos. Another feature about 7Sage is when you go through the curriculum, which I don't know if BluePrint does this, but JY always looked at the LR question stems first before even getting to the stimulus. At the time, I didn't think much of it, but I then somehow always did it when I do LR sections. Somehow, he instilled in me really good habits which has now become second nature and at the time I didn't realize it. That kind of work on your brain is going to be hugely helpful in approaching the test.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Agreed. What's with the obsession with categorizing games!?
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    250 karma
    If I'm aiming for Feb test and there's only a couple of month I can use 7sage course, do you still recommend to take the Ultimate+ one? Just curious...Or would I not be able to utilize the course well?
    edited November 2019 12637 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    If I'm aiming for Feb test and there's only a couple of month I can use 7sage course, do you still recommend to take the Ultimate+ one?
    The Ultimate+ course is really designed for people looking to study for a year or more (hence the 18 months of access time) so I really wouldn't recommend you go with that one for Feb. I'd say pick up Premium and if you feel like you need more content after that, upgrade to Ultimate. If you upgrade, let me know and I'll add on the additional months (dillon@7sage.com)
    https://7sage.com/enroll/

[Admin note: Ultimate+ includes 12 months, and Ultimate includes 9 months now]
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    edited November 2019 250 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright"
    Thanks!
    I heard the access time would be different right? If I sign up U+ from the biginning, I'll have access for 18 months but it would be different if I upgrade it later...
    If I buy David's essay course, would it be added to the main course?
    It seems people prepare for LSAT for a long time, I don't know why some people say 3 months is enough for prep for LSAT.
    feel like got a trap...:(

edited November 2019 12637 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    I heard the access time would be different right? If I sign up U+ from the biginning, I'll have access for 18 months but it would be different if I upgrade it later...
    Hey, yeah. If you purchase U+ outright, you'd have 18 months. The only downside to upgrading vs. purchasing outright is the amount of months included in each course. Purchasing Starter, Premium, Ultimate and Ultimate+ normally gives you 3 (Starter), 6 (Premium), 12 (Ultimate) and 18 (Ultimate+) months, but upgrading from a lower course will only give you +1 month per upgrade level.

So, for example, if you purchase Starter and later upgrade to Ultimate, you'll only get a +2 month extension as opposed to the full +12 months included with Ultimate. You can always extend your access here:
    https://7sage.com/addons/

In this case, let me know once you upgrade and I'll make sure you have the full amount of months included with the course you upgrade to. :)

@LSATaker said:
    It seems people prepare for LSAT for a long time, I don't know why some people say 3 months is enough for prep for LSAT.
    Me neither! :(

12637 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    If I buy David's essay course, would it be added to the main course?
    Oops, missed this part. Yes, it will be added to the main course.
  • wildernesswilderness Alum Member
    133 karma
    So I'm currently enrolled in Blueprint and 7sage, but I primarily use 7sage. Here are the biggest differences in my opinion.

Teaching Quality

I'm a self--learner. I move quickly and digest information at a rapid pace. I wanted an online course that would allow me to skip through all the bullshit of in-person classes (which typically cater towards the lowest common denominator). Blueprint is fucking ridiculous. You watch one of their videos, 3/4 of the time they're trying to make funny puns or sexual innuendos in an effort to relate with the people. But the thing is, I don't give a shit about relating to anyone. I want to move quickly and learn as much as I can. JY skips the bullshit. He'll move you through a question, and show you through example the type of thinking that is necessary to succeed on the LSAT.

Organizational Format

As several of the people on here mentioned, a lot of time in other courses is set aside towards learning how to differentiate between game types and LR types. But here's the problem in that. The LSAT isn't a test akin to a hotel floor with many doors and keys that will open each one (where the doors are questions and keys the diagrams/rules to solve). Actually, there's an underlying pattern in all logical reasoning and logic games sections. JY teaches you to see those patterns, and to develop a baseline set of skills that will let you lockpick your way out of any situation.

Facebook v. IBM

I see Blueprint as IBM and 7sage as Facebook. On here, there's a huge startup culture. People are using their raw intelligence to hack their way through problems as opposed to learning things the "traditional way." Yes, we learn the same things as they do over at IBM. But we do things our way. Faster, cleaner, smarter. If there's a more elegant solution to a problem, we choose that over the traditional way. That's valuable to me.

Conclusion

So you see, there are tons of differences between 7sage and Blueprint. I felt like I really LEARNED a lot with 7sage. I can't say the same about Blueprint or Powerscore (which I took last year).
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

I enrolled in BP before knowing 7sage last December. Although the BP class(animation) seems more interesting, it's hard to finish all classes and homework at the same time. I would say that 7sage requires a self-discipline character, consistence and patience. It's important to stay on the cc and assignment. Although I did not start PT, I feel confident I would apply the knowledge of LR in LG and LR. Also, the drills behind are very helpful. The community is a bonus and a good place to share experience.