Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice on legal career

kdeel296kdeel296 Alum Member
in General 49 karma
Hi guys, you have all been so helpful thus far. I am only a senior in college and have realized thanks to these forums and the Thinking LSAT podcast that I should not rush into law school. I am not completely sure that law is for me, and have realized that law school will always be there. I am currently looking for jobs and was wondering how you go about finding a job as a legal assistant/intern? My bachelors degree will be in Finance. I would ideally like to work in Boston. I have heard time and time again that this is a good way to figure out if law is for you. Would you all agree?

Please feel free to be completely honest with me, what advice would you give your 21 year old self?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @kdeel296 said:
    . I am not completely sure that law is for me, and have realized that law school will always be there. I am currently looking for jobs and was wondering how you go about finding a job as a legal assistant/intern? My bachelors degree will be in Finance. I would ideally like to work in Boston. I have heard time and time again that this is a good way to figure out if law is for you. Would you all agree?
    I agree. You should absolutely find work in some legal setting before law school. Work experience will only help you either get into law school or help you figure out that you don't want to be a lawyer. I actually believe if every potential law school applicant was mandated to work in law for a year, at least 60% wouldn't go into law.

What gives you any indication you would like to practice law in the first place?

The advice I would give a 21 year old me a few years back, assuming I didn't already find out, would be to decide if I truly want to be an attorney. Through networking I was able to get a paid job as a clerk at a law firm for 2 consecutive summers. PreLaw clubs on campus usually have some good connections. Although I didn't learn much of anything substantial about the law, (I guess I will in law school) I did see the type of work lawyers at a mid-sized firm do. I ended up being interested in it. And It lead me to a few important realizations and helped set my future career expectations. Very valuable experience.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    You should absolutely find work in some legal setting before law school. Work experience will only help you either get into law school or help you figure out that you don't want to be a lawyer.
    @kdeel296 100% get a legal job before law school. That's what I did and, not only did it reaffirm my desire to go to law school AND give me more time to study for the LSATs, but I've made irreplaceable connections and I have a much better understanding regarding what to expect when graduating.

In order to apply to jobs, I made a list of the 30 top law firms in NYC (for you, Boston). I had to cap it at 30 or me and my excessive self would have lost my mind applying to the hundreds of top law firms that exist in NYC. I put together my one page resume and a short, concise cover letter and sent them on paper to each law firm's paralegal manager (not via email or through their website! Force them to look at your cover letter by sending them a hard copy). Most of the time, they will have the paralegal manager's contact information right on the firm's website, or you might have to call and ask for it. Last resort, send it to the HR department.

Another thing I did was I personalized each cover letter. Yes, this took forever, but it was worth it. I got tons of interviews and I was still receiving phone calls even after I accepted the position I ended up choosing. One thing I kept hearing was how impressed they were with the personal elements of my cover letter and my overall presentation. I would do research on each firm and add a few sentences about how I admire "X's law firm's commitment to the plight of minority representation in matters of economic injustice, as displayed in your recent efforts in A v. B." or whatever notable issue they have headlining their "Recent Cases" page on their website. Then tie yourself into their plight: "My time volunteering at Y's non-profit has made me especially sympathetic to issues such as this; not only is it a desire of mine to contribute to your firm's work, but my experience has enabled me to have a unique perspective, allowing me to commit sincere understanding in my efforts." Don't write a paragraph on this, but mention it in a sentence or two to show them that you cared enough about this job to look into the firm and that you want this position for reasons beyond the obvious.

I would also recommend that you send out your resumes early in the year--maybe late January, early February. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get back to you, but you want to beat the flux of panicked seniors who realize towards the end of March that they have to find a job in 2 months. Good luck!
  • kdeel296kdeel296 Alum Member
    49 karma
    thanks so much! @bswise2 do you mind if I private message you?
  • Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma
    @kdeel296 Not at all!
  • DelhisehuBCDelhisehuBC Alum Member
    21 karma
    I completely agree with @"Alex Divine", especially when he said this- "I actually believe if every potential law school applicant was mandated to work in law for a year, at least 60% wouldn't go into law." I have had various discussions with the attorneys I work with and majority of them say that you should work/intern in a law firm before committing yourself to this profession. I'm an engineering grad and I worked in the semiconductor industry for a year before realizing how much I hated it. I'm currently working in a mid-sized law firm and after working here for over 2 years, I have realized that I really-really like IP Law and I know what to expect when I graduate from law school

I got this job through networking and cold calling/emailing recruiters/associates in IP firms. If I were you, I'd find an area of law where I can sell myself. For example, when I cold-called recruiters, I tried selling myself by leveraging my technical background and showing them how can I be an asset to their patent pros/lit group. I got tons of interviews and I learned that there's actually a need for attorneys with a strong engineering background in IP law. I think you can do the same-- network and try emailing recruiters and asking them if they need someone from your background for consulting work. Or you can apply @"bswise2's" method and try getting a paralegal position.

The overall idea is to get a position in legal industry and work for sometime before you commit yourself to a legal career.